http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I did do a search but found no one who has actually bought a K98 replacement stock from JG Sales, I'm thinking of trying one out, I need a Cupped stock to replace my damaged Flat but stock, I will probably eventually repair my flat stock or have Candyman do it, but as some one pointed out, my rifels should have a cupped stock any ways.

My question is, is this actually a K98 stock they are selling? I ask because below is the question and response from JG to another member.

Is there a link to a website for them. I tried J&G Sales, they adverised the same thing. Told them I was looking to restore my 37 Sauer with a hardwood stock/flat plate and was looking for one that wasnt an RC; this is what they replied:

Sir,
We do not know anything about a 1937 Sauer. If you are looking for a K98 stock, they are Yugo captures and they have serial numbers on the butt stock.

if it is a captured yugo, is there any differences between this and what would have been on my BNZ 42?

They have a 30 day inspection?? if it's not all it's cracked up to be, I could return minus shipping?

see pics

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/1832

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 am 
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Yes there are differences and that Yugo M48 stock is not going to fit a German K98k rifle, at least without some fitting. I’m a little confused, you start off talking about a 1937 Sauer and end up talking about a 1942 ‘bnz’ (Steyr). Are you working two rifles? The 37 Sauer would have a hardwood flat-plate butt plate. The 42 bnz would have a laminated stock and cupped plate. The Yugo stock would not fit. Differences in sights for one. See attached pics.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

They may well be talking about Yugo Captures in the sense of K98s that Yugoslavia had in storage the same as Russian (Ukrainian) Captures. I get the feeling the person taking the orders only knows what's on the order sheets and wouldn't know a Yugo Capture from an AK47. Ask if they can check to see if there is a takedown disk hole in the stock (tell them a shiney disk hole in the stock). The M48s don't have them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I had a FN Mauser with a badly broken stock. I went on ebay and J&G was auctioning off a K98 stock. Here is a picture of it. It is the one on the bottom. It arrived very dirty but cleaned up pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Rguns has the same stocks I believe. Theres a number stamped in the left buttstock but the one I bought wasn't shellaced, maybe it was yugo also?
http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-par ... tion.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

JPelot wrote:
Yes there are differences and that Yugo M48 stock is not going to fit a German K98k rifle, at least without some fitting. I’m a little confused, you start off talking about a 1937 Sauer and end up talking about a 1942 ‘bnz’ (Steyr). Are you working two rifles? The 37 Sauer would have a hardwood flat-plate butt plate. The 42 bnz would have a laminated stock and cupped plate. The Yugo stock would not fit. Differences in sights for one. See attached pics.

OK let me clarify, I have a BNZ, the two sentences in the different color about a Sauer are copied and pasted from another forum member, that was his question and response about the J&G stocks, that is where I heard they were yugo stocks, but it did not clarify if they were yugo Captured 98's or M48's.

And I know a M48 stock is different than a K98, my son has a beautiful unissued M48, sweet rifel! but the J$G add states these are K98 stocks, and the pics in the add are of what appear to me be from a K98, I only asked because in the response they gave to the other forum member, they stated they were Yugo stocks, I was wondering is any one had ordered one and confirmed they are infact for a K98, and it appears , as sargeast pointed out, and as apachedawg pictured rifle, these are from K98's captured and held in Yugoslavia, thats what I was thinking, but I'm no expert on these types of rifles, and I wanted to ask you guys who would know, thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I saw the rguns add, but they dont specify if you will get a cupped or flatt, J&G give you the choice.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I just got a 98K stock from J&G yesterday to fix a bubba special. It's a late war laminated with cupped buttplate. It has a small crack in the laminate at the very end of the stock on top by the buttplate screw (hey, it's a chunk of plywood from feb 22, 1943 - I'm amazed at how well they have stood the test of time - and war). The metal is in very good condition (no rust at all). Other than a few dings, the wood looks good - no chunks or gouges - and it is NOT an RC shellac special. I am quite happy with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:20 am 

Yes, there were Yugo captured German WWII era K98s. The stocks were sanded and refinished should fit any K98. The M48 was an entirely different rifle and made after the war and used an intermediate (shorter than standard K98) length action, so would not be suitable.