http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Well....

I think there is some validity to the curiosity on the stamps. I took a few more pics in the light box.

The specific year, 1938, is quite uncommon on the large receiver ring FN Mauser. So it will be difficult to find comparison photos for this particular production. But what can be seen in the photos:

1. The inspection/proof stamps on the left side are applied in "divots". Obviously scrubbed and re-stamped for a reason.

2. Halo effect surrounding the roll-stamped FN logo an hand-stamped year do suggest original stamping, and pitting is easily observed within the stamps themselves. So the aged stampings don't suggest scrubbing and re-stamping.

3. The "Fab. Nat. D'armes..." line is applied over a previously stamped line, as there is scrubbing. And the "Herstal Belgique" is original.

Conclusion:

Some stamps are original, and some stamps are scrubbed and restamped. Pitting appears in all the stamps, so they were applied quite some time ago.

Again, this particular year and model are not common. More examples will need to be examined to make any determinations.

Theory?

The receiver was originally intended to be stamped for another production run, and particular stamps were altered to accommodate the batch that was sent to China. But without further examples, the theory is a stretch....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Trying to do a little more research on this particular gun.

From the book Mauser Military Rifles of the World, by Robert W.D. Ball, there were only 600 of these delivered from Belgium to China, so chances of finding more of them to observe stamping practices will be slim.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PmyS7xaZQ78C&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=Belgian+Mauser+FN+%221938%22&source=bl&ots=JK4HkDzubS&sig=oMXiq89MGvl0Swxk4wdAJN4NZQQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kUwpUY7dDcKU0QHNkIDABQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Belgian%20Mauser%20FN%20%221938%22&f=false

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:36 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Have to guess that the words "carbine" and "short rifle" were confused or substituted in the publication. There are no other references to be found for Belgian Carbines beyond the Model 1889. And almost nothing surfaces with the search words, Belgian FN Mauser "1938", or various combinations of targeted searches. Well, this thread (and similar ones I posted on other forums) pops up at the top - but almost nothing else that is relevant. *

And as for the total numbers being two observed in the publication, I can believe that. Many targeted search attempts by myself will only come up with one mention of a 1938 dated FN, on one old Gunboards thread. And no pictures of this logo with date anywhere, except mine which I posted on several other forums last year.

Not sure about the serial number, either. The jump from "under 1000" to over 6000 puts this one in a strange series....

... glad this thread got bumped after a year. I'll have to do some more digging. I'll re-post if I can come up with any relevant research.

Thank you for your input and interest, waffenamt.

* Edit for correction: See explanation two post below.

Last edited by martin08 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Yes, my bad in interpretation. I was reading comments on the M1924 and M1930 carbines, and then attributing the 600 unit delivery reference to the short rifle. There was no shipment total given for the 1938 FN-30 short rifle to China in 1938.

As Mausers are not my focus, I have no publication references. But I truly understand that quality research is not done on the web, but rather in respected and established reference publications. Point well taken, and with humility.

Still, if there is another 1938 dated FN-30 short rifle pictured on the web, I haven't found it yet. But I may, before I'm done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

martin08

Thats a nice rifle, wish I could fine one like that.