http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have a sportered Turk 88/05 that i stole the bolt head out of to test on my newest project.
On the project rifle the bolt matches the receivers serial number, but when I install the bolt head from the Turk on it, the bolt will not close, and if I try the Turk bolt in it, the same exact thing happens the bolt will not close.

I've taken the bolt head without the extractor and set it in both rifles, and in the Turk the back side of the bolt head that bears against the bolt body is flush inside the receiver, but in the project rifle it sits out visibly. A guesstimate is about .030 plus thousandth's. I've gotta try and measure it somehow.

Are their different thickness bolt heads like on an Enfield for this purpose?
The front side depth seems to be correct, and I could possibly cut the back side of the bolt head or the front side of the bolt body to get it to close.

I'll try and get some pictures of what I'm talking about later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:24 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The gew88 was not made for different sized bolt heads as german made parts are 99% interchangeable in these regards.
Your turk made bolthead may very well have been made "meatier" to allow for a worn rifle , which most turked 88's will be found to be rather worn inside & out.
If you take your action to a smith he can headspace the bolt head to that rifle with a little hand work using a finish ( chamber ) reamer. Anyhow I'd suspect you would not have that problem if you had a german or cech made bolthead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Just trying to narrow things down, does the Turk close in the project rifle without the bolthead :think: ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Both bolts without the bolt head close in either gun, and both bolts will close with the bolt head in the Turk sporter.

The problem lies more that the bolt will not close on an empty chamber with the turk bolt head. I can't get good close up pictures with my camera.
I don't know if I can possibly unscrew the barrel to correct this problem if another bolt head does the same thing.
Maybe this is the reason for the U stamped on the receiver under the S.