http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Picked up this Chinese marked Mauser yesterday for $175. Looks like a 1938 dated Belgian FN with large receiver ring and logo, and from what I understand, is somewhat uncommon. The bolt has a black oxide finish, and appears to be from another model (?), as the knob is not teardrop shaped. Bore is bright but moderately pitted, grooves not particularly sharp. CAI imported. The large stock brand on the left side buttstock translates to "Keep and Utilize", and likely was a local militia gun. Still awaiting the translation for the smaller brand and painted characters on the right buttstock.

Barrel has some pitting under the handguard. Unfortunately, I could not break it down to clean up the metal under the stock, as someone has already seriously buggered the rear action screw head. But when I get it over to my shop, I'll break it loose with an impact driver. Anyway, enough chat. Enjoy the pics, and thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Very nice, this is a FN Export Mauser, the bore looks to be in "FAIR" shape, which can not be said for most CHINESE MAUSERS,
i can do the translation for you if you want. congrat :thumb: :thumb:

MY K98 http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88341&
Persian,Swede,Mausers,SKS,Mosin,Enfield,K11/K31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Wait, where did you pick that up? A friend of mine was considering buying one on Saturday but didn't have the money and yours matches his description exactly, even with the same price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

This was at a local shop here in Maine, so your friend's is safe. Hope he comes up with the money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Oh, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I really like the FN crest, this is a quality built Mauser, not one of the "Chang Kai-shek" copy the ROC government arsenal used to make.

MY K98 http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88341&
Persian,Swede,Mausers,SKS,Mosin,Enfield,K11/K31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Icfmotm wrote:
I really like the FN crest, this is a quality built Mauser, not one of the "Chang Kai-shek" copy the ROC government arsenal used to make.

The crest is stamped on the FN-30 models, and is quite attractive. To my knowledge, the 1938 is the only one with a year stamp. This model was also discontinued in 1940 when the Nazis invaded Belgium.

Any ideas on the origin of the bolt? It isn't matching to the gun, and there is an "R 3017" stamped on the root of the handle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:07 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

The "R" makes me think that the bolt might be Spanish.

Nice pick up!!!!! :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

13centkiller wrote:
The "R" makes me think that the bolt might be Spanish.

Nice pick up!!!!! :thumb:

The Spanish had intermediate length action rifles?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:55 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

With a little help from June4th of Northeast Shooters forum, the right side characters are translated.

Quote:
Nice catch Martin! I don't know much about Mausers but I can help translate some of the more legible characters:

This one looks to me a Chinese character pronounced 'gu', which means 'ancient', also can be a family name.

Here's a proper print:

This one is definitely someone's name (probably the soldier's). First one is the family name 'Li', then a partially rubbed-off character, then 'Cai'. The given name is popular in early 20th century.

Only legible large character in the middle is pronounced 'jia', which means 'perfect' or 'good' in Chinese. The character is seen in several Chinese cities.

And Doc AV of Gunboards has an alternate translation for the left side buttstock, and an origin for the bolt.

Quote:
Marks on Stock (LHS) "Min Bin" ( Peoples Militia)--1950s) marking..."For training" or similar description.

Bolt is a Chinese Mauser ( CKS) Type 24 (1935) Bolt. ( from serial number type font). Probably Chinese swapped out. Very common occurrence.
Proper FN bolt has "tear drop" knob.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:15 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I like that one. Very Nice intact receiver markings. Here is another Chinese marked one.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24

Some more info:
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... opic/30572

Translations at this old link:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... graving-ID

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:12 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Oh that's a very nice example of a mauser used by the Chinese. Martin, Kudos. I like to collect Chinese guns, since the Chinese people don't have a chance to enjoy the 2nd amendment. So far I only have the P marked VZ 24, 2- T-53's, a Han Yang, 2 sino banian SKS's, and a Norinco spike SKS. I'm always looking for more though.

Thanks for posting those pix! I really enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:05 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thread revival!

And thanks for the clarification, Bill.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Just stumbled on this thread. Is it just my old eyes or does that FN dated receiver logo look to be applied recently ?. The peened egdes of some markings and the absoltue perfect condition of 'it' in comparison to the very worn & abused rifle. I'm not liking what I see.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Can't ever say anything for sure, but I doubt very strongly that this had a new FN logo applied. Why anyone would go to such lengths and perfection to apply a fake stamp to a beat up Chinese Mauser would be beyond me.

But to entertain the possibility, I'll take a close look to see if there is any evidence of scrubbing when I get home.