http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1916 Amberg Gew 98
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

A guy I fished with some years ago showed-up at my door with this 1916 Amberg Gew 98 this past Sunday. He said he remembered I messed with Mausers. $100.00 later it was mine. All matching down to the screws.

I asked him where he got it and he told me his father brought it back after WW-2. Just a story I know but I thought it odd that it had a type II (post WW-1) hinged muzzle/sight protector on it so it might be something to it. I asked him and he said it had been on there for as long as he could remember.

Meh...It could have just as likely came from the "barrel-o-mausers" the local general store sold back in the day.

It has seen a lot of use and the receiver and bands have went mostly brown and the blue is getting there. Bore is strong but dark. The markings on the stock are all visible but worn. The stock has not sanded. The only pitting is on the butt-plate.

Sadly the firing pin tip is broken off but that's no big deal as I'll just put a standard length pin in it if/when I shoot it.

LOL...When I first saw it "Turked" popped into my mind but it's not. Odd but I already have a '16 Amberg that's "purdy" but I sorta like this one better.

Attachments:
amberg 1916 007.JPG
amberg 1916 007.JPG [ 763.79 KiB | Viewed 1135 times ]
amberg 1916 006.JPG
amberg 1916 006.JPG [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 1135 times ]
amberg 1916 005.JPG
amberg 1916 005.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 1135 times ]
amberg 1916 004.JPG
amberg 1916 004.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 1135 times ]
amberg 1916 001.JPG
amberg 1916 001.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 1135 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1916 Amberg Gew 98
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:30 pm 

Got to love a Vet Bring-Back. 100 bucks? How guilty do you feel?
Nice rifle.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:36 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

+1 Rob

I'm sure he's torn up inside with guilt! lol :lol:

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Ding dong...Mauser calling! I'm trying to remember the last time someone came to my door with a $100 rifle to sell??? I think...never!!
Great looking Gew 98! 1916 was the year they started changing the stocks by adding finger grooves and replacing the ID disc with the bolt takedown disc. Yours was made during that transition as it still has the ID disc!
Congratulations on that great find, or should I say congratulations for being home when it found you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

What serial is on your cleaning rod ?. The muzzle cover is post WW1 and if not WaA proofed is likely post WW2.
The buttstock has had the toe of the stock repaired evidenced by the different type of walnut spliced into the butt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

gew98 wrote:
What serial is on your cleaning rod ?. The muzzle cover is post WW1 and if not WaA proofed is likely post WW2.
The buttstock has had the toe of the stock repaired evidenced by the different type of walnut spliced into the butt.

Rod is serialed to the weapon. 82 and the Amberg mark aft of it.

The heel is Amberg marked.

Meh, I really don't care one way or another about the unmarked cover, it was just a interesting addition with wear consistant with the weapon. Hard to say who stuck it on there or when.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

stan61 wrote:
Ding dong...Mauser calling! I'm trying to remember the last time someone came to my door with a $100 rifle to sell??? I think...never!!
Great looking Gew 98! 1916 was the year they started changing the stocks by adding finger grooves and replacing the ID disc with the bolt takedown disc. Yours was made during that transition as it still has the ID disc!
Congratulations on that great find, or should I say congratulations for being home when it found you!

OK - you are ALMOST making me feel guilty... Just bought a VZ24 7mm 'JC Light' Mauser for $160 shipped. It is rough, but... And there was a gaping 7mm Milsurp hole in my safe/collection, so... hoping it is a shooter - all I ever ask for any of my milsurps! Besides, my boys (5 of them!) love shooting them as much or more than I do. And we are all military history freaks, so it is a perfect match!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

That is one beautiful old girl, enough to make me envious without mentioning the price... :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Beautiful. Looking at that muzzle cover makes me want to pick up one for mine.

Great price too! :thumb: