http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Been thinking about putting one of these together for some time. I bought the scope and and hardware from Accumounts last fall, and finally got around to doing this a week or two ago. Pretty straight forward - measured, leveled, measured again, leveled again, and started drilling. I did have to mill out the bottom scope mount rings as they were just a little smaller than they should have been and wouldn't let the scope seat at the bottom of the rings.

This particular rifle was selected for it's accuracy of course. It will shoot clover leafs @ 100 yds.

Just waiting to get the bolt back from having the handle bent so I can take it and stretch it's legs. I have a PU on a 91/30 in mind next.

Attachments:
m39Finn_Snpr_3.JPG
m39Finn_Snpr_3.JPG [ 911.61 KiB | Viewed 2295 times ]
m39Finn_Snpr_2.JPG
m39Finn_Snpr_2.JPG [ 779.18 KiB | Viewed 2295 times ]
m39Finn_Snpr_1.JPG
m39Finn_Snpr_1.JPG [ 902.83 KiB | Viewed 2295 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Welcome to the club! I love mine!

μολών λαβέ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Blasphemers :D kidding..........only kidding. I've been tempted to do the same but always manage to talk myself out of it. It is an easy negotiation, I've got too many good shooting modern scoped rifles that just sit in the vault as it is.

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I got the bent bolt back today - turned around in one week! Even reattached the original numbered handle ball. Looks and feels great. Will definately send any future work to this guy. Does business through EBay - Mosin Nagant Bent Bolt Conversion Service, username Blazen999.

So now I just have to put some loads together and take it out to the range...

Attachments:
bolt c.JPG
bolt c.JPG [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 2222 times ]
bolt b.JPG
bolt b.JPG [ 668.45 KiB | Viewed 2222 times ]
bolt a.JPG
bolt a.JPG [ 792.58 KiB | Viewed 2222 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Took the M39 out today to dial in the scope. Had a little trouble with sighting since the scope sits so high off the comb, but I like it. Will probably get a cheekpad to use with it. I noticed not having a good 'chin' weld seemed to promote a few flyers... Was gonna put together some handloads, but didn't have time so I just grabbed a few packs of heavy ball yellow tip, which I have shot in this before and had good accuracy. This target was at 100 yds.

Attachments:
HungHBYT 100 yds 17 Mar 2012.jpg
HungHBYT 100 yds 17 Mar 2012.jpg [ 576.3 KiB | Viewed 2177 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have learned to keep a good chin weld and get used to it.

The iron sights are still usable with the mount, and if you use a cheek pad you lose them.

μολών λαβέ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I was thinking of a Blackhawk cheek pad I could remove if I wanted to. I have the rear 'peep' sight and .050" thick tall front blade that I got from a seller on gunboards on, well, all but one of my M39's. Today I shimmed up the front end of the scope since I was at the limit of adjustment for elevation. When I originally mounted the bottom piece I leveled off the cut at the bottom of receiver. That piece is level but the scope and upper mount sloped forward a bit. I had noticed that initially, but since the dials have a lot of adjustment ( 10 turns + ), I figured I'd give it a try.

The screws that hold the scope rings in place are sh%t, so I drilled and tapped the holes for 8/32 x 3/8 hex cap screws - works much better.

Ended up going with .024" of shim in the front, which brought the tube up to near level (1/3 of a bubble) with the bottom dovetail. That should give me enough adjustment for under 250 yds.

It does also seem to be a little out alignment on the azimuth. I think I had to go 1 1/2 to 2 turns to move POI to the right. [s]I'll probably stone the dovetail on the right side towards the back so I can have the windage set near the middle.[/s] (Errr... maybe just shim with with pop can aluminum to see if that helps...)

Other little issues - the screws that hold the turret caps in place don't 'snug' down on the caps, leaving them loose fitting and they actually rock back and forth a little bit - little bedding compound will fix that...

All in all it was a fun project.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

For the turret caps I fabricated a little 'washer' out .010 sheet brass. Raises them up just enough so the screws can seat in the countersink and the caps are tight and not wobbley... Ain't pretty but it works great.

Attachments:
washer.JPG
washer.JPG [ 42.23 KiB | Viewed 2140 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Got a Blackhawk Tactical cheek pad for the M39. Can detach it in seconds. Fits well. Now my eye lines up with the scope when I shoulder it. $ 28.00 well spent.

Attachments:
Blackhawk tact pad.JPG
Blackhawk tact pad.JPG [ 262.97 KiB | Viewed 2101 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Got tired of looking at that repulsive 'orange' scope cover, so I got some Fiebing's dark brown and dyed it more to my liking. I replaced the guard screws with RSI hex head screws while I was at it. Now I just need to start working up some handloads and get back out to the range.

Attachments:
Scope cover.JPG
Scope cover.JPG [ 743.01 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Made up some handloads and went out to the range to try them out Saturday. I shot some Bulgarian ball to get the sight dialed in after shimming it. Started with 53 gr. H4831SC and went up to 55 gr. -I have a 1939 Tula that shoots great with 55 gr...

On the 53 gr. target I was adjusting the POI down and left, so the last 5 of 10 rounds grouped real well. The 54 and 55 gr. loads opened up and muzzle flip was a problem, so I had to hold tight on the forearm to 'corral' the shots. I'll probably work up from about 51.5 gr. to find the magic load next time out. I shot some 180 Sierra SP's too, but they were spread a bit farther out, so I can't push 'em that much I guess.

I glassed the nut that holds the cleaning rod in place so there will no movement there, and packed the hole in the front with some oiled felt to keep the rod from moving around. I stoned the trigger sear surfaces and the sear spring ramp for a smooth pull along with the bolt cams that aid extracting the cartridge and lock the bolt in receiver - wasn't bad before, but now it's smooth as butter.

Finally, I glassed the front 1.5" of the barrel channel about 3/4" back. Shimmed it up .032" so there will be some upward pressure on the muzzle end. I had oiled felt wrapped there prior, but glass in a better long term solution.

I had some new Lapua brass that I loaded for these. Full sized and then neck sized with a .309" mandrel. Only bummer about the brass is the length. Just a hair too short crimp with acollet crimping die. I like to crimp with those to even out starting pressure. Oh well... I need to finish this and get back to the Garand I'm modifying to NM spec...
Attachment:
100 yds 55 gr H4831sc Sierra 174gr Match-.JPG
100 yds 55 gr H4831sc Sierra 174gr Match-.JPG [ 500.88 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]
Attachment:
100 yds 55 gr H4831sc Sierra 174gr Match-.JPG
100 yds 55 gr H4831sc Sierra 174gr Match-.JPG [ 500.88 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]

Attachments:
100 yds 54 gr H4831sc sierra 174 gr Match-.JPG
100 yds 54 gr H4831sc sierra 174 gr Match-.JPG [ 508.71 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]
100 yds 53 gr h4831sc sierra 174gr Match-.JPG
100 yds 53 gr h4831sc sierra 174gr Match-.JPG [ 523.33 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Searching for another source for .318 bullets other than out of Australia, ran across Hawk. I size the .318's down to what ever I need for some of the larger grooves on my more 'seasoned' bores that I shoot jacketed out of. Was curious about the soft copper and lead core (if Barnes made a heavier .311...), so I got a box of .311 180 gr. pills to try out. Spendy, but sounds like a good hunting bullet. I may try out the Barnes 150 gr TSX just to see how it shoots also...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:40 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nice rifle. Does the bent mosin bolt work without inletting the stock? I can't tell from the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

You certainly dove head first into this rifle,I would be happy with any of those groups.was noticing that mabe there may be too much upward pressure where you glassed the foward part of the stock. i can't tell how your groups where fired sequentially. (i have a finn captured 91 that walks left when shes hot,one shot at a time. . . . .ect) if you don't mind i,ll be trying some of your handload recipes later this spring.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I suppose it depends on who does the bending. The M39 stock is generally a little beefier in that area, at least on the ones I have to compare. Once I got the bolt back I checked for clearance, and I did have to remove a little material. No sweat though, I just took a piece of 3/8" rod and wrapped some 150 grit sandpaper around it and ran across the side at a 45 degree angle till I got the depth I needed. Slapped on some tar and it looks like it was there all along...

Attachments:
Bolt Inlet.JPG
Bolt Inlet.JPG [ 886.46 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]