http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

A family friend had said she had some of her fathers old guns. I brought this home to look it over and research it little. I am not new to old surplus rifles just new to these. This one is in pretty rough shape, but I know I can get it for real cheap. I just think it would be a fun build. Like I said I really dont know much about this gun so any info will help. I can tell its missing the butt stock plate since its just wood. I also can tell the wood that sets on top of the barrel is missing as well. Am I missing anything else ? Can I find these missing parts ? Is it even worth it to restore ? What would you pay for it ? Also didnt get a pic of the serial but I believe is starts with an E.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

It looks like a 6,5 M38TS. Look it over carefully for anchors or "Crusader shields" ( a dedicated navy mark). For some reason, most of Beretta's TS production went to the navy. Look first under the serial number. The bolt root is another likely place to find a small anchor, but they can be about anywhere.

There was no template or standard so individual navy armorers smacked the die pretty much where they wanted.

Unless the stock has been sanded, the navy mark will be above the serial number.

Let's go with the best case scenario and assume it is a navy TS. They are worth a small premium... in original condition. But it's neat to know for sure how it was used in the war. As it stands, I wouldn't sink a lot into it. Your call as far as what you feel like paying. Personally, I wouldn't feel like paying over $75... less is better.

ssporters.com sells handguards and nose caps/bayonet lugs. Your next move would be finding a donor stock to splice the missing portion.

It's doable. Ren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thank you. I did find some kind of shield on the stock near the back but couldn't really make it out. The serial does start with E and is only followed by 3 numbers. Is that common ? Also what do you me splice in the wood from another stock ? am I missing a piece? I told them I would pay 50 so I guess I wasn't far off. Was the barrel and magazine/trigger guard originally black?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Three digit serial common? Yep. Every letter block has 999 of 'em. :wink:

There's a fellow at this site who is a wiz with stock repairs like splicing in a repair piece. Can't think of his forum name right now but he's the go-to guy with this.

Black? Like black paint? Paint is "after market". Ren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

:wink: thanks for the help. If she takes 50 its staying here with me. Maybe its not black paint. The metal might just be so old it look as if it was painted at one time. I haven't cleaned it yet since I haven't paid for it yet ha. Anything else I should check on before I pay ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Also does anybody know were I could source a stock to fix the end ? I have searched around and cant really find anything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The person Ren is talking about is Candyman, he is the moderator of the stock repair section of the forum. As for the stock, all you can do is keep an eye on the auction sites for one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Stocks show up on Gunbroker and evil bay some times. You well need a hand guard. Is the rear sight damaged or I'm I seeing a optical illusion? Is the barrel 17 7/8th" long?

If you come here often please donate to keep this place alive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The rear sight is correct. Ren