http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering a Carcano
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I'm sure you all get questions like this very often, but I'm thinking about buying a long-barreled, straight bolt Carcano. From what I've figured, my options would be the M1891, and the M91/41. Is that right?

Also, what do you need to do to maintain these rifles? Would I need to rub it with linseed oil like a SMLE, or can I leave it alone like a Mosin? I looked at the disassembly guide on this site, and it looks like a very easy rifle to take apart.

Is there a link that shows the arsenal marks?

Any and all info on these rifles and their accessories would be quite helpful. I want to give the Carcano a go, it would be one of the last milsurp bolt-actions I haven't owned or tried out yet. After this, it'd be French rifles...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:37 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Linseed oil works just fine and it isn't a Mosin by far.

The long barreled M91 or M91/41 are nice rifles. Do read the sticky posts on shooting Italian rifles as they seem to all have their personalities on what ammo they like (.268 dia verses standard .264 or 6.5mm dia bullets). I have a few and I can tell the bores vary from each other, either by wear or by manufacturing.

Also, the sights are uncommon as you use the bottom of the V notch in the rear sight, not the center of the top. That takes some getting used to.

Prices have gone up lately and a cheap Carcano is relatively uncommon now. Price research through Gun Broker for starts. Local prices here make Gun Broker look like a steal.

The M91 has gain twist rifling that few if any rifles have. It is also longer than a M91/41.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a few French rifles and they are all terrific shooters and not to be trifled with. The MAS-36 is a fantastic shooter, especially a re-arsenaled one. I have to say it, but the 1886 Lebel just reeks with character. Oh, there are no cheap French rifles and stay away from the 7.62mm NATO conversions and stick to 7.5mm French only. Yeah, I got some French rifles, so sue me Carcano lovers.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I heard about the wonky aiming system. There's an auction on gunsamerica for a M91/41 near me, and the rifle looks pretty clean. He's asking $380, I'd try to talk him down to $300.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

WOW! If that's market price they have gone up a LOT! in the last year. I bought an M41 in pretty much un-issued condition with no import marks at Cabela's last May for $200 out the door.

Scott

Stuff, some of it's Italian, some of it shoots.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I didn't know Rhode Island allows 2nd amendment rights. Is your range the Atlantic ocean and you just aim at the yachts going by? Can you skip shoot? Does Rhode Island even have room for a range?

Ah, $380 for a Carcano. Another sign of the coming apocalypse......

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

$380 is way high I would keep looking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:43 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Cruise gunborker - there are better deals than that. Ren

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:46 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

RenHoek wrote:
Cruise gunborker - there are better deals than that. Ren

+1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:27 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

$380 is on the higher end, but since the guy is in my area, I could go down with cash and negotiate some. It appears that the average, not-chopped Carcano is $250-300. On both GB and GA. I've noticed that in my area, milsurp guns that arn't Mosins or Mausers have a hard time selling, and the gun stores just want their money, and even those had a slow selling rate before the Winter Panic.

The longest ranges in RI are 200 yards, and only 2 gun clubs in the state have ranges that long; I am a member of one. RI has decent gun laws, could be better, could be worse. 7-day waiting period w/background check unless you're a C&R holder (I am), or you have a concealed carry permit issued by your town (not yet). No AWB. No Mag cap limit. No NFA guns like SBRs, SBSs, or full auto. We do not need a license to carry like MA.

If we could make the concealed carry permits easier to get and we allowed NFA guns, I'd be a happy Rhode Islander.