http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: type 44 screws
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

i just purchased a type 44 that is missing one of the two screws in the front band. I know finding originals will be difficult, but does anyone make reproductions? I have attached pictures of the damaged screw. It looks like the head came off as the shank is still in the rifle. Any info would be appreciated..

Attachments:
pix458689708.jpeg
pix458689708.jpeg [ 71.15 KiB | Viewed 1689 times ]

Post subject: Re: type 44 screws
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I'm not sure of a specific source for that, but it might be easiest to find a local machinist willing to make a new one for you. I'm always amazed at how quickly a screw or bolt can be fashioned by a gunsmith/machinist/tool and die maker that really knows his stuff...
Nice Pick-up (I'd love a Type 44), how about more pics and details!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:04 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

PennsylvaniaRifleman wrote:
I'm not sure of a specific source for that, but it might be easiest to find a local machinist willing to make a new one for you. I'm always amazed at how quickly a screw or bolt can be fashioned by a gunsmith/machinist/tool and die maker that really knows his stuff...
Nice Pick-up (I'd love a Type 44), how about more pics and details!

I second that idea. Even better, have him run off 20 or so, and sell the extras to pay for your project. You could make a profit... of course there may already be a guy here sitting on case of screws ho had the same idea...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I found a guy name Don. He makes the screws and other parts. Seems to be a very nice guy and extremely helpful. Best of all his parts are not priced through the roof. His email is dfsjpn@aol.com if anyone needs it. Once I take delivery in a week or so I will definitely post more pics..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Here is the finished product with two new bayonet housing screws, and a new stacking hook. It was a total franken gun. None of the numbers matched. The bayonet and housing matched itself. The bolt matched itself. The assembly number was only found on the bottom of the receiver. The hand guard had no numbers neither did the stock (I have a number of Type 38 rifles and carbines and the Japanese seemed number happy when they made them). It had been sanded and an ugly coat of walnut stain had been applied. One of the screw heads had been broken off and a piece of graduated steel rod had been inserted into the bayonet pivot hole. The stock cartouches were long gone, but luckily the finger grooves had not been totally sanded smooth. Tangs either didnt match number wise or had no numbers at all. Floorplate was also non matching. It looks like someone had used a pair of vise grips to try and remove the front stacking hook as the metal was scarred in that area. The lower tang and rear screw were badly damaged so I have a new one on order off of Ebay and found a screw of another type 38 laying around. I used both Oxpho Blue and Shooter Solutions rugged gun blue. I did not touch the barrel or the bayonet as both were in pristine condition. I basically blended the finish to refresh it. I know Type 44's have collector value, but this one was a bit of a mess, and unlike my untouched Series 6 Type 38 carbine, I knew that the collector value (if any) should not be too badly diminished by refinishing and trying to restore it to its former glory. The bore is pristine so I ran a few patches down it and a nylon brush for good measure. No pitting at all, bore is bright and shiny. I am pretty happy with it, and with my mild 6.5 handloads (140 grain Moyers gas check cast bullet on top of 10.5 grains of Trail Boss), it will be mild shooting and accurate out to 100 yards..

Attachments:
IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2606.JPG [ 527.96 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]
IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG [ 800.8 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG [ 669.82 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]
File comment: Type 44 refinished
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG [ 658.7 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

More pics. For the stock refinish, I stripped off the old coat with Strip X, dried thoroughly, then used Minwax Sedona Red, and a coat of Minwax Red Mahogany (the interior barrel channel had that darker red urushi finish on it) to darken the color. Once dry I used three coats of Tru Oil buffed in between with synthetic steel wool (3M white), followed by two coats of Minwax paste wax. I will probably apply a few more wax coats on it for good measure to bring up the shine a little. If anyone has any comments or suggestions I am all ears!

Attachments:
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2609.JPG [ 467.01 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2607.JPG [ 575.35 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG [ 780.65 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]

Last edited by damiencain on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Here are a few before shots

Attachments:
File comment: Type 44 Before shot #3
IMG_2232.JPG
IMG_2232.JPG [ 578.62 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]
File comment: Type 44 Before shot #2
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2229.JPG [ 412.3 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]
File comment: Tye 44 Before shot #1
IMG_2233.JPG
IMG_2233.JPG [ 557.33 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:23 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Nice job. Question, was/is the quillion a separate part? How did you replace it.?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Yeah, actually its really easy. Its the quillon that serves as the pivot point for the bayonet. I had to grind the pivot hole a little to get the quillon to fit properly. Used a dremel tool, a thin grinding stone, and once finished used some Flitz and a polishing felt on the Dremel to smooth out the area. At the end of the hook (left side of the bayonet mount), there are female threads that accept a set screw. I can see why that area was chewed up (you will notice the light surface gouges in the metal). My guess is that the hook was damaged and they were unable to get it off without resorting to using a crazy tool to wrench off that piece. I have attached a couple of pics for your reference.

Attachments:
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG [ 467.84 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG [ 467.08 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Thanks. You explained it well. And the pics are a greAt help. I've only seen one t 44 under glass.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Any picture requests at all feel free to ask.