Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

K-31 Price Check

jaytex1969
United States of America

K-31 Price Check

#1 Post by jaytex1969 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Good evening, all.

Would $600 be a decent price these days for a matching walnut K-31 and 300 rounds of GP-11?

I have a beech stocked specimen and have been passively seeking the walnut model to add.

No sling or bayonet. Not sure about troop tag. Wood looks pretty nice in photo.

Thanks.

Jay

polaris
United States of America

Re: K-31 Price Check

#2 Post by polaris » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 pm

With the GP11, assuming metal and bore condition good and no stock cracks, absolutely. Haven't been to any decent shows lately to see real world prices, but the sky seems to be the limit on Gunbroker.

Markeb2800
United States of America

#3 Post by Markeb2800 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 am

In good condition, with the ammo, I'd say its a fair price. They've went up the last couple of years.

gonzogeezer
Germany

#4 Post by gonzogeezer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:18 am

In my recent experience, the ammo itself is easily worth $225; I’ve been getting interest locally selling battle packs at $45. So it sounds like a fair price to me.

shoot4fun
United States of America

#5 Post by shoot4fun » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am

Retail prices start around $600 +/-

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Insane that these $79 Dunhams specials on Black Friday from about 12 -15 years ago are now going at $475-650 depending on sling, troop tag, location of import mark (barrel vs receiver) and walnut stock. Walnuts with a nice grain always go top buck. Bayonets are approximately 80 bucks +. I wish I'd got 10, instead of 5 different years- but I just did not have extra cash.
At the last Fond du Lac gun show a Walnut K31, non beaver chewed, with matching year sling to the rifle, import mark on the barrel, and troop tag--the guy was asking $650. He had 90 bucks on the bayonets. But this guy also had a Remington M91 Mosin with a ground eagle, and no matching numbers with a import mark on the side of the receiver, no M91cleaning rod or sling--- for $600. It was a wall hanger, bore was gone--I offered $150. I was told to get real. :lol: :lol: :snooty:
So if it's a great stock with some nice grain and all matching with the import mark on the barrel-- its the going rate without the ammo. :shhh: :shhh: :think: factors to look at ---Make sure it matches, check the bolt for cracks, look at the finish and wood grain, also no beaver chews from the boots and ice. And if it has a tiny import mark on the bottom of the barrel and not a bill board on the receiver- its a winner. You can always find the correct year sling and bayonet later.

On a side note a gal had a 1955 No. 4 Enfield in the wrap that I thought might be $700-800. Asking price was $1200 and she sold it one hour later. I did get to buy 2 Manoil lead soldiers from her smalls display tray a total of $10. :roll: :oops:

Prices be nuts. I am glad I started in the 1980s, no way could I collect at todays prices.
Here is the current ammo price say 48-55 cents per round has been standard for some time. So figure $157 in ammo free. Or 600-147=$453 for the rifle-- BUY IT if its a winner with the above attributes :dance: :clap: ;) You are then paying normal price for the ammo & no shipping.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/ ... ammunition
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#7 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 pm
Insane that these $79 Dunhams specials on Black Friday from about 12 -15 years ago are now going at $475-650
that is because they are not importing K31, so what is here is all there is. as they become more popular demand goes up, and with a limited supply on the secondary market it's natural that the price is reflected to that limited supply

15 years ago you could have bought a imported AKM for around 200 or in some cases under 200 bucks. now? dig deep baby, and keep digging.

I found a nice NIB MAADI RPM with the 20 inch barrel with a attached bipod for way under 300 bucks. bought a brand new in wrapper soviet laminated RPK stock set for just about next to nothing. did a bit of fitting on the lower hand guard to fit the lower hand guard retainer, bought a east German 75 round drum and made myself a quasi-RPK :D

Prices be nuts. I am glad I started in the 1980s, no way could I collect at todays prices.
Here is the current ammo price say 48-55 cents per round has been standard for some time.
I started collecting in 93, my last couple of years in the Army before retiring and prices were not bad at all or price shocking, especially for mi surplus rifles, pistols, imported AKs, US made clones like the FAL HK91, CETMEs, etc... now, I wouldn't even venture into gun collecting with the crazy prices now.

as for the swiss surplus GP-11, you can't find that anymore on commercial sites, they stopped importing those as well. that price that is on the site, besides being out of stock, is the ancient price. the commercial Prvi Partizan swiss 7.5mm is selling for 75 cents a round, and not all that great of a round.

the surplus swiss GP-11 you're looking at 85+ cents a round. if that is what comes with jaytex1969 K31 the real Swiss mil-surplus GP-!!, that is like 255-265 just for the ammo (.85-88 cents a round)

given it's a far superior ammunition then Prvi, you can't get them on the commercial market, and it's not being imported, I wouldn't sell my GP-11 for any less then .85 cents a round
Last edited by Ghoulardi on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

...as for the swiss surplus GP-11, you can't find that anymore on commercial sites, they stopped importing those as well. that price that is on the site, besides being out of stock, is the ancient price. the commercial Prvi Partizan swiss 7.5mm is selling for 75 cents a round...
Ok, I am old and out of date on the ammo. So figure 600-260=$340 for the rifle; even a better deal and if that old original GP 11 is that had to find, then it's a real deal. Sounds like Jay should buy it.
given it's a far superior ammunition then Prvi, you can't get them on the commercial market, and it's not being imported, I wouldn't sell my GP-11 for any less then .85 cents a round
The owner like me does not realize the price increase in real GP 11. Hence you got a deal in the making. I must have 10 black cartons of the stuff, so it sounds like that too, doubled in price. I have not purchased any ammo in the last 7 years.
Sounds like the 8 cent Tokarev ammo that they want 35-45 cents a round :doh: :snooty:

If the rifle has the right attributes and its real GP 11 ammunition: like Ghoulardi indicates, not Prvi--- sounds like you should run and see that rifle in person. ASAP The rifle I saw at last weeks show was $650 just for the rifle, no ammo. :shhh: :shhh: :clap: :clap: :doh:

Ghoulardi, do you remember what year they stopped importing real GP 11., is this a recent thing? It always seems to stop and go over the years. Some of mine seems to be latest date of 1995. Others 1986-89. On sale it was $24-28 a white sleeve of 60 rounds-- $45 is nuts if a person actually pays that much.

Phillip Peterson's Guide to Military Firearms, 8th edition, 2016 p. 356 list values at EXC 500, Very Good 400, Good 300 & add+ $50 for walnut. A little lower than seen at gun shows or gunbroker. So consider the attributes the rifle has and go from there. I favor the small import mark under the barrel and a nice grain lacking a beaver chew to the stock. Almost all K31s match unless it's a real dog. And you are getting ammo valued at between $160-260 that should be considered in the deal. So the rifle is more generally valued at between 350-450 without the ammo. Ghoulardi is right. You do not see many Walnuts at shows, most are the Beech. I do not see these as often as Mausers & Enfields at the larger shows. So I guess it's how bad do you really want one? :think: Look at gunbroker: Walnut K31 and your eyeballs will pop out at the prices.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 am

72 usmc wrote:
Insane that these $79 Dunhams specials on Black Friday from about 12 -15 years ago are now going at $475-650 depending on sling, troop tag, location of import mark (barrel vs receiver) and walnut stock. Walnuts with a nice grain always go top buck. Bayonets are approximately 80 bucks +. I wish I'd got 10, instead of 5 different years- but I just did not have extra cash.
At the last Fond du Lac gun show a Walnut K31, non beaver chewed, with matching year sling to the rifle, import mark on the barrel, and troop tag--the guy was asking $650. He had 90 bucks on the bayonets. But this guy also had a Remington M91 Mosin with a ground eagle, and no matching numbers with a import mark on the side of the receiver, no M91cleaning rod or sling--- for $600. It was a wall hanger, bore was gone--I offered $150. I was told to get real. :lol: :lol: :snooty:
So if it's a great stock with some nice grain and all matching with the import mark on the barrel-- its the going rate without the ammo. :shhh: :shhh: :think: factors to look at ---Make sure it matches, check the bolt for cracks, look at the finish and wood grain, also no beaver chews from the boots and ice. And if it has a tiny import mark on the bottom of the barrel and not a bill board on the receiver- its a winner. You can always find the correct year sling and bayonet later.

On a side note a gal had a 1955 No. 4 Enfield in the wrap that I thought might be $700-800. Asking price was $1200 and she sold it one hour later. I did get to buy 2 Manoil lead soldiers from her smalls display tray a total of $10. :roll: :oops:

Here is the current ammo price say 48-55 cents per round has been standard for some time. So figure $157 in ammo free. Or 600-147=$453 for the rifle-- BUY IT if its a winner with the above attributes :dance: :clap: ;) You are then paying normal price for the ammo & no shipping.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/ ... ammunition
added correction
Note this ad and I noticed Classic is also out of stock, is from late 2015 and sometime around 2015-2016 they must have stopped importing K 31 original GP 11 ammo as per correction. Anyone know the date when imports of GP 11 stopped?

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#10 Post by Ghoulardi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:16 am

72 usmc wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm
Ghoulardi, do you remember what year they stopped importing real GP 11., is this a recent thing? It always seems to stop and go over the years. Some of mine seems to be latest date of 1995. Others 1986-89. On sale it was $24-28 a white sleeve of 60 rounds-- $45 is nuts if a person actually pays that much.

sorry, don't know when the importation stopped, but it was a while ago. one day it was everywhere, then it just dried up on all commercial markets. it's expensive now but, I fired both and the accuracy of the swiss GP-11 is far more superior then the the serb stuff. about the only good thing I can say about the serb stuff, it's the correct caliber for the rifle.

Phillip Peterson's Guide to Military Firearms, 8th edition, 2016 p. 356 list values at EXC 500, Very Good 400, Good 300 & add+ $50 for walnut.
value books are just a guide, yeah in 2016 it probably was valued at 500, because it was still everywhere. but this is 2018 and since they haven't been imported for quite sometime and the commercial sites don't have them, the secondary market determines the value.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:46 pm

jaytex1969 Did you get your rifle :clap: :clap: :clap:

jaytex1969
United States of America

#12 Post by jaytex1969 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:50 pm

I think they unloaded it while I was gathering the funds.

Better luck next time!

Looking at an Ankara for $300 as a consolation prize...
Attachments
Ankara.jpg

polaris
United States of America

#13 Post by polaris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:16 am

My understanding about the GP11 via our local Swiss club is that the Swiss Government is holding remaining stores for official Swiss rifle clubs foreign and domestic. We are still able to get it in the states in that capacity, but the last 2 batches were all 1992 manufacture. We have been told that that supply is limited and will expire in the not too distant future, and the marksmanship program will have to come up with an alternate solution. We will either have to acquire some version of 5.56mm Swiss service rifles or a reasonable clone, there is also talk about creating a substitute standard ammunition, either handloaded or a commercial run as the round is officially obsolete in Swiss service and RUAG no longer has the production capability to manufacture GP11 as tooling has been sold or dismantled.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#14 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 am

Ghoulardi wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 pm
72 usmc wrote:
Insane that these $79 Dunhams specials on Black Friday from about 12 -15 years ago are now going at $475-650
that is because they are not importing K31, so what is here is all there is. as they become more popular demand goes up, and with a limited supply on the secondary market it's natural that the price is reflected to that limited supply

15 years ago you could have bought a imported AKM for around 200 or in some cases under 200 bucks. now? dig deep baby, and keep digging.

I found a nice NIB MAADI RPM with the 20 inch barrel with a attached bipod for way under 300 bucks. bought a brand new in wrapper soviet laminated RPK stock set for just about next to nothing. did a bit of fitting on the lower hand guard to fit the lower hand guard retainer, bought a east German 75 round drum and made myself a quasi-RPK :D

Here is the current ammo price say 48-55 cents per round has been standard for some time.
I started collecting in 93, my last couple of years in the Army before retiring and prices were not bad at all or price shocking, especially for mi surplus rifles, pistols, imported AKs, US made clones like the FAL HK91, CETMEs, etc... now, I wouldn't even venture into gun collecting with the crazy prices now.

as for the swiss surplus GP-11, you can't find that anymore on commercial sites, they stopped importing those as well. that price that is on the site, besides being out of stock, is the ancient price. the commercial Prvi Partizan swiss 7.5mm is selling for 75 cents a round, and not all that great of a round.

the surplus swiss GP-11 you're looking at 85+ cents a round. if that is what comes with jaytex1969 K31 the real Swiss mil-surplus GP-!!, that is like 255-265 just for the ammo (.85-88 cents a round)
I admire your build. oops, I heard it.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

Aladinbama
United States of America

#15 Post by Aladinbama » Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Wow!
I'm glad I got mine when I did. I couldn't imagine paying $600+ for a good one!

Return to “Swiss Rifles”