Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Vetterli cartridge lifter sticking

KneverKnew
United States of America

Vetterli cartridge lifter sticking

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 pm

I’ve noticed my M78 Vetterli lifter gate sticking sometimes when I’m pushing the bolt home which should drop the gate. I had been able to slide the bolt home gently and the gate cycle down properly. Now I must almost shove the bolt home with a good bit of force to get the gate to cycle down.
What could be the issue? Or is this just the nature of these guns?

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Vetterli cartridge lifter sticking

#2 Post by ffuries » Tue May 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Mine would stick on my M69/71 when I first got it, but after a good cleaning and oiling it has worked like a champ ever since.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks. I think it does need more grease and oil

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm

KneverKnew wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm
Thanks. I think it does need more grease and oil
Everyone has their go to oil and opinions are as varied as the amount of oil types out there. That said I use ATF on my guns to keep them oiled and rust free. I just dropped the lifter assembly after cleaning it in a bowl of ATF and left it soaking while I cleaned the rest of the rifle. Took it out after awhile and let the excess drip off. Worked like a charm afterwards, and left a nice coating on ATF on it.

It had been two years since I did that and after Hurricane Michael hit and tore the roof off my gun room, all my guns still has a coating of ATF on it. Only minimum rust on 3 guns out of 40, and those 3 ended up in a puddle of water on the floor.
Last edited by ffuries on Tue May 07, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

KneverKnew
United States of America

#5 Post by KneverKnew » Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Attention to detail gents. Attention to detail.

So the funny thing is when I first got the M 78 it functioned smoothly from the beginning. I did the firing pin conversion from St. Marie and everything functioned smoothly still. I then decided to make a similar firing pin carrier from a nylabone and nail, just so I can say I did. That’s when I noticed the catching of the lifter but only on the down swing, when driving the bolt into the chamber. I started thinking and pulled things apart and studied things. And sure enough I found the culprit. It was my lack of attention to Swiss tight tolerances. LOL. My nylabone firing pin carrier was ever so slightly protruding out from the side of the bolt body into the slots that the lifter gate slides past on its way down. A little sanding oh the nylabone and everything functions smoothly again! Of course I lubed everything for good measure.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#6 Post by KneverKnew » Tue May 07, 2019 8:24 pm

I’ve been using clenzoil lately for a try. Seems ok. Any experience with it? Of. Purse I have my trusty waffenfett.

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 pm

KneverKnew wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:24 pm
I’ve been using clenzoil lately for a try. Seems ok. Any experience with it? Of. Purse I have my trusty waffenfett.
Cool, glad you found the issue, and you made a very valid statement regarding attention to details. We all pull blunders at times, hence the reason why we have to recheck things, sometimes more than once. No expereince with clenzoil myself.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “Swiss Rifles”