http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I just picked up a sporterized 1998 Krag rifle. I intend to use it for hunting. I would like to put a receiver sight on it. I know that Wiliams makes an aluminum one that is for the Krag, but I'd prefer an older steel one if I can find it. What would be the exact Williams, Redfield or Lyman receiver sight that I would need? Where is the best place to find one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:06 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Oh, man! Where in the world did you find a 1998 Krag? I gotta have one! :D

Actually, I'm sure you meant 1898. Check with Midway or Huntington's; they might have what you're looking for.

Post subject: Receiver sights for krag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Lyman made a version of the 48 sight for the Krag, the 48K. Receiver must be drilled and tapped on the right side for installation. Redfield made two sights that do not require drilling the receiver. Both mount on the left side of the receiver with a long screw that replaces the issue sideplate screw, and a clamp that fits into the bore for the cut-off, which you have to remove for the installation of these sights. The model 102K does not have micrometer adjustments: it has a large-head coin slotted lock screw for elevation, and two opposed lock screws for windage. It has a long elevation "stop" screw that can be used as a "defacto" adjustment screw for fine changes in elevation. Redfield 70K is similar, but has 1/4 minute micrometer adjustments with clicks for both elevations and windage, witrh rounded coin-slot adjustemnt knobs. The Redfield 70KT has Target-style adjustment knobs. Pacific made a few variants that mount in the same way, from very simple friction adjustments, to click adjustable. Any of these are long out of production and considered "rare" and can get expensive. They do show up on eBay once in a while.

Since your rifle is already "sporterized"; and if you are only going to plink or hunt with it, the Williams is probably the best choice, and consider the 5D. It is true that the screw adjustments on the FP do wear out much faster than those on a steel sight, but for hunting and plinking, you won't be moving your sights that much, and the 5D may fill your needs for not a lot of $$$.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

It's REAL, it's wood and steel!

Three shots isn't a "group". At best, it's a fortuitous accident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks! That is the information I was after. And yes......................my rifle is an 1898 Krag. I guess I am just not used to writing that old a date! My oldest rifle until I picked this up was a 1936 savage 99. I picked up an old redfield receiver sight for that one off e-bay. I will keep an eye out to see if I can do the same for my Krag. It is a fun rifle. My Grandfather had one that he hunted with & that is why I was interested in them to begin with.

I will be using this rifle for hunting & just some fun shooting. The existing stock looks like buba the butter fingers home gun smith made it. VERY rough. I will need to replace it. I see that Boyds makes a few versions. I may also look at getting a nicer sporterized version off e-bay.