Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

some comments about the M24/52Č

nothernug
United States of America

some comments about the M24/52Č

#1 Post by nothernug » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:00 am

There is a topic concerning an M24/52Č. There is a general lack of knowledge therein, at least, no general comments from those who know about these so I thought to provide some. It grew rather long so I figured I'd toss it out as a stand alone topic instead of a tag on to another thread.
So, here we go.

Some info on the M24/52Č...
The Yugoslavs acquired 40,000/some rifles from the Checks prior to WWII,* picked some unknown number during the war and more as reparations after. No matter how they got in inventory, they were converted to M24/52Č, the "52" denoting from 1952 and the character Č- w/ over-chevron denoting "Czech origin. There can be a mixture of stock features some having or lacking finger grooves and such like. Some sport Yugoslav made stocks. These will not have stock discs or finger grooves and mostly will be made of elm.
*These were first designated as M1924Ч (Ч-ch) for Czech and later redesignated as M1924a (or sometimes rendered as "A"). They were also considered "carbines" due to their dual sling mount arrangement (see details below) and as such were issued to Yugoslavia's "gendarmerie." The Gendarmerie were a quasi-military organization responsible for policing rural districts and communities not having their own police forces, something like our county sheriffs. They primarily drew their arms from military stores but, were not required to. They could and did obtain arms from outside sources such as Belgium's FN. But, that goes beyond the scope of this discussion.

One important detail to remember is that the M24/52Č (vz24) is, as opposed to the bulk of Yugoslav Mausers, have standard length actions as found on the German model 98 rifles. The Yugoslav and FN M1924, its derivative M24/47s and descendants, the M48 series, are intermediate length actions being closely approximate to 1/4" shorter than the standard length actions. Few parts are interchangeable. One such part is the extractor.

One odd thing about them (M24/52Č) is that they retained their dual sling arrangement having fore and aft swivels on bottom and left side. In Yugoslav (and most other European militaries of the pre-through WWII era) the dual sling arrangement made carbines being separated from rifles primarily by sling arrangement and in some cases bolt type. Length did not enter into it. The Yugoslavs made 3 variations of the FN designed M1924 (not related to the very small M1924ČЧ);
"rifle" bottom sling loops only, for infantry and other foot troops.
"carbine, type I,* bottom & side sling with bent bolt, for cavalry. (This bolt differed from the later M48 bolt having a more serpentine profile)
"carbine, type II,* bottom & side sling with straight bolt, for all other mounted troops.
*The terms "type I" and "type II" were not Yugoslav in origin. They are collector created terms to differentiate the two.

For those wanting to provide their M24/52Č with 'correct' accessories, that would simply be standard communist era hardware. The sling for these would be the standard 1" leather strap secured at either end with brass buttons (as shown in photos) and M48 bayonet and frog with the hole in the pocket front would be the choice for these too.
Yu 24-52Ch x2a.jpg
M1924 rifle(T) & carbine (B).JPG
M1924 rifle & carbine top views.JPG
M48 Yugoslav & other Mausers bayonet and ricasso image b.jpg
Rifles w-pre- & post WWII slings.jpg
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: some comments about the M24/52Č

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Is the 1924 Carbine Type II longer than the '24 rifle?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

nothernug
United States of America

#3 Post by nothernug » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Is the 1924 Carbine Type II longer than the '24 rifle?
No. As I noted in my text, "length doesn't enter into it." The only differences between the M1924 rifles and carbines are the sling mounting arrangements and in the case of the type I, the bolt profile arm shape. All other features and dimensions are the same throughout. This refers to 3 specific weapons that I can vouch for; The M1924 "rifle", Type I and type II carbines.

Hang on for a wild ride! The Yugoslavs established the FN M1924 Mauser rifle as their primary service arm beginning in 1926 with full production beginning in 1928. By the 1930s, they decided to organize all their long arm nomenclatures along that same line. As noted, the M1924C was configured into the M1924a. Then, the Mexican model 1912 and gew98s they had acquired were both reworked into the M1924b(Б). That was continued post-war with the M24/47 and M24/52, only in this case the following number referred to when the refurbishment began on that model.

Now that does not include the diminutive M1924CK(ЧК).

A CORRECTION TO MY ORIGINAL POST ABOVE. (I referred to the "the very small M1924ČЧ." I erred in the nomenclature. It should have been "M1924ЧК."
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
Australia

#4 Post by vandle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing the info on the M24.
A lot of things in there that I was not aware of.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Return to “Yugoslavian Rifles”