http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

SO I have field stripping a MAS 49/56 down pat. About the easiest rifle to field strip I have ever seen. My question is there some more detailed instructions out there for further disassembly? Specifically trigger group and anything else you can think of. Thanks.

Oh yeah one more question. Is the night sight device for the 49/56 worth getting? How does it work?

Are there larger mags then the standard 10 rounders?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

If you really want all the accessories for the MAS, get the night sight. The tritium is well, well past it's expiration date, so they don't glow as they were intended.

You can remove the forend with a modified screwdriver, but there's no need for taking it down past field stripping. Whatever you do, do not attempt to remove the buttstock. Fitting requires a jig and special tools. Is there a specific reason you want to take the whole thing apart?

No standard magazines larger than 10. Some armorers in the Algerian War welded together two ten rounders, and some civilian owners have modified FM-24/29 25 round magazines to work by welding on the catch and removing a little material along the spine. I've seen an FAL magazine conversion, but that requires fitting a mag catch and more work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the info, I will definitley be leaving the buttstock alone! I was mainly interested in removing the trigger group though for cleaning and lubing. Does it come out as a unit like an M1 or SKS?

I have seen some info on the modified FM-24/29 mags but it seems like a shame to have to butcher a 10 rnd mag. I wonder if there is some other type of latch that can be made to work??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The trigger unit does indeed come out as a unit. The rear is secured by the screw behind the trigger guard, and the front has hook that mates with a shelf on the receiver aft of the magazine well. Unscrew the screw and rotate the assembly down and forward to remove. The hammer and trigger axis pins are staked, so getting them out would be a bit of work. I just use a good penetrating oil to get down in there to clean it out, and then grease the hammer face. The trigger unit does not see all that much crud.

G96 is my oil and Magnalube is my grease of choice. There are a million choices out there. Most will work fine, and there's absolutely no need to go for anything expensive. Anything specifically marketed for the gun industry is likely to be some regular lubricant formulation for other purposes, albeit with a heavy markup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Here is a good exploded view of the MAS 49, same action.
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/MAS4 ... m1950A.jpg

Here is a link to a whole collection of good stuff. Just browse the MAS 49 and MAS 49/56 sections.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/

The info is courtesy of Buddy Hinton who posted the links to his extensive library on Gunboards.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:49 am 

Gentlemen: The French Night Sights are Radium Painted under a plastic capsule, not Tritium....

Dale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

vonmazur wrote:
Gentlemen: The French Night Sights are Radium Painted under a plastic capsule, not Tritium....

Dale

Regardless of the element, the point is the same: they're well past their serviceable life, at least for night use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

OK I figured the trigger group, like everything else on the 49/56 it was pretty simple. Im really liking this rifle!
OK new question. Is there any 7.5 SP or HP out there? So far all I have been able to find is a bunch of FMJ and 1 brand of SP from graf and sons called PCI. Never heard of them before. Any reviews on them?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:14 pm 

PCI is made in the US (Indiana) and their stuff is usually very good. I have one or two boxes of the SP but I have not fired any yet....

Dale

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am 

Be aware that the Mas 49-56 action was designed to handle only hardball FMJ, soft point bullets may suffer during the loading process with possible loss of accuracy.

kelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

That is why it sits in the ammo can!!! Maybe single shot from a Mle 1936 if I have to, but not in the Semi Autos!!

Dale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:10 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

kelt wrote:
Be aware that the Mas 49-56 action was designed to handle only hardball FMJ, soft point bullets may suffer during the loading process with possible loss of accuracy.

kelt

This really applies to most any semi-automatic rifle, not just the MAS. For hunting (or match shooting), I'd be using a bullet like Hornady's A-Max, which offers much better external and terminal ballistics than a soft point.