Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Help with Krag value?

U.S., Danish, and Norwegian
Kurt
United States of America

Help with Krag value?

#1 Post by Kurt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:48 am

Hello, I've found an ad for a Krag rifle that shows a picture of it and it is original full length rifle with full military stock but with a scope mounted. Ad says "shoots good".
This is a general question as to the value of such a rifle in that it is a full original military Krag except for scope mounting. "Asking $475." Thank you Kurt

M14man
United States of America

Re: Help with Krag value?

#2 Post by M14man » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Collector value lessened by screw hole damage. Assuming sights have not been removed. If the bore is good, that's a plus."Shoots good" is a judgement value that means nothing. What is good to him may be horrid to me. Ammo is not easy to find. If all the parts are there and the gun looks good ; $475 is not bad. Normally you would pay almost double that for a clean one. Hopefully stock cartouches are there. Seller should always keep a display target showing the rifles performance say at 50 yds.

Kurt
United States of America

#3 Post by Kurt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Thank you. I was thinking it was a good buy at that price but your points are important considerations.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 am

Firearms generally fall under one of two categories, collectibles or shooters. There is not much reason to consider this Krag, IMHO. As M14man noted, it has lost much of its collector value and ammo, when you can find it, usually runs $35-$40 per box of 20.

One of the worst buying decisions I ever made was to pay $350, sight unseen, for an Argentine 1891 cavalry carbine with a shot out bore that the seller said "shoots fine" but the only way I could get rounds on the paper at 50 yards was dumb luck. When I questioned his assertion that it shot fine he told me he only function-fired it. He refused to take the rifle back saying he had been accurate in his description. Just passing this on for you to digest.

So... if ammo is too expensive to shoot it much, and it has little collector value, and barrel condition is a big question mark, why even consider it? Unless, of course, you are a reloader. Brass is readily available and it uses standard .308" diameter bullets, but I would only suggest going this route if the barrel condition was a known quantity. Otherwise, I suggest passing on it. Your choice, of course.

- Bob

Kurt
United States of America

#5 Post by Kurt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

Thank you RWS. I do reload but I am not buying the rifle. I have one but was just sort of wondering what they bring as they seem rare with all the wood. Thanks again, Kurt

Return to “The Krag”