Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Questions about my dad's .30-40 Krag

U.S., Danish, and Norwegian
WVBrady
United States of America

Questions about my dad's .30-40 Krag

#1 Post by WVBrady » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi guys: I was just browsing through this section and it brought up a couple of questions that I had about a .30-40 Krag that my dad had that has long since departed. I think that it was not a genuine carbine, but it had a short barrel (actual length unknown), and a short forearm, but it did sort of look like a carbine.

1) The front sight was on a band around the barrel and pinned with a small screw into the barrel. The rear sight had no provision for windage adjustment (I read that some of them did), so I removed the screw and drifted the sight over to sight it in. It was so far out of adjustment that I couldn't hit a dynamite box at 50 yards (2'x2' ?). He had formerly missed a large tree trunk (twice) from less than 100 yards, and he was a good shot. When he got home, he yelled at me that the sight had been put on by a GUNSMITH (who didn't know what he doing) and put it back to where it was. :=)

Was this a rifle that someone had tried to make a carbine out of? Would a real gunsmith have put one on that badly? The rear sight looked fine and was not off center.

2) A cartridge would drop all the way to the case when inserted into the muzzle. Was it common to counterbore the Krags like other military rifles?

les1234
United States of America

Re: Questions about my dad's .30-40 Krag

#2 Post by les1234 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am

Original Krags, as manufactured, didn't have the front sight mounted on a barrel band. The front sight was dovetail mounted directly to the barrel, and the job was done so well it's difficult to see any line, it actually looks like it was machined from one piece of metal. Using an '03 Springfield front sight and band was a common way to mount a sight on a cut down barrel. As far as counterboring, who knows what some gunsmith might have done? Or maybe extreme cleaning rod wear. Or it could have been a wildcat of some kind, I have heard of .25-40 wildcats, perhaps there was also a .35-40.

ammolab
United States of America

#3 Post by ammolab » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Surplus Krags were like $3 back in the 1920s. Many were made into quality sporting rifles. My first centerfire rifle was a nice Krag sporter my Grandfather bought me on my 12th birthday in 1958. $39.95 and still a fine shooter.

oddball6
Cambodia

#4 Post by oddball6 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:35 pm

IF . the caliber is correct, the problem . could be a warped barrel, an ill fitting stock,or a mutilated crown. That 40.00 Krag must be a honey.
I . think Fajen was putting them in sporter trim . about that time

WVBrady
United States of America

#5 Post by WVBrady » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was just surprised that rifle with semi-permanent sights could be so far out of alignment. It wasn't just not "minute of deer", it wasn't even "minute of tree". The deer were safe when my dad was hunting. :D

I didn't have enough ammo to try for any sort of grouping, but at least the bullets did not show keyholing. Oh well, it is long gone; I was just curious about it.

Return to “The Krag”