http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dark Barrel/Bore
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:24 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have 3 M44's.., all have a dark bores with good rifling (no pitting). Just curious if there is secret to 'brighten" up the bore alittle. I know that 60 plus years of corrosive ammo takes it's toll..., just curious though.
Thanks..,

Post subject: Re: Dark Barrel/Bore
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I have a Type 99 Arisaka that was dark, shot it a couple weeks ago and it was as accurate as everyone brags. I thought because it was dark that it was one of the rifles that was not chrome lined. However after three applications of Gunslick's foaming bore cleaner and some good ole Hoppes 9 it shines like the sun!!! I have also heard of others using bore paste.

Also a dark bore is not always a bad thing. As long as the pitting and corrosion hasn't taken its tool on the barrel it will be a fine shooter. A dark bore will not affect the accuracy of your rifle, accuracy is in the lands and grooves.

Looking to buy or trade for K98k bolt handle marked waA77/w77 or bnz style stock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have found that my rifles clean up very well if I clean them immediately after shooting. You'll have to go through a few sessions to get a bright shiny bore, but it works. Also, Break-Free CLP did wonders for cleaning up a little bit of superficial rust on the outside of my .22, so I'm sure a little bit of old powder on a bore won't be much of a challenge for it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:55 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

+1 Steve-c - shooting/cleaning, repeated over time will generally improve bore condition. A rifle with a "dark bore" can often be made to shoot well.