http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

What is the official Soviet method of loading these clips?

I've seen rim over rim over the cartridge below (most common), Enfield style (2up, 3 down), Pyramid with the middle cartridge the highest and all subsequent rims beneath, and just heard of the Down,Up,U,D,D (as the official method).

Seeking the truth!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

No idea, but on my Mosin, I can load my clips with the rims in any orientation and the gun will still feed correctly. I can even load the magazine intentionally locking rims, but my interrupter does its job and lifts the top round clear off the one below it so the rim won't lock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:59 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Yeah you're right that it shouldn't matter due to the cartridge interrupter. However, I think the pyramid way is the best way for having the rounds go in from either end of the stripper clip rather than just stacking rim in front of rim below. Enfield method works as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I've always loaded them rim over rim because that's what I learned and that's what my repro clips require to not require a ridiculous amount of force to load. My original clips are the ones that feed easily regardless of orientation and even if you just press the rounds in like with a Mauser clip, no levering needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:36 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

>>>
No idea, but on my Mosin, I can load my clips with the rims in any orientation and the gun will still feed correctly.
>>>

Ken is right on the money. I made the mistake of spending a little bit of money on horrible stainless steel repro clips that cut the HE!! out of fingers. I then spent a little more money on new make brass reproductions from a fellow on eBay - holy moly, what a great product and what great results.

The best part was I accidentally double ordered, so I got 20 clips instead of 10. I would have been bummed to only have 10, since I filled a good part of a 30 Cal ammo can with 20, and the rest of the space went to boxed ammo.

If your M-N's are in good functioning order, the interrupter means you won't have rimlock regardless of order - something SMLE shooters never like to talk about. I don't do business with eBay now, not for a number of years, so I've no idea what the userid was but it was some kind of car nut name - since I are a car nut, I remember that.

Regards,
Brian in CA

PS I'm WAY too lazy to load SKS's or M-N's single file, I guarantee you I've got my $$'s worth out of those brass clips......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

uglycarfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The Enfield methods works perfectly on my No 1 Mk III EXCEPT the 10th its always a rim lock but the first 9 are perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Anyone found a source for "real" clips? All I can find are the cheap flimsy gold ones. Half of those don't work right. If you buy rounds already on the clips do you get a better clip?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

macatprw1 wrote:
Anyone found a source for "real" clips? All I can find are the cheap flimsy gold ones. Half of those don't work right. If you buy rounds already on the clips do you get a better clip?

Yeah, I got my originals already with rounds on them. I got them at a flea market back in March 2010 at 15 rounds of 63 dated Soviet ammo on three clips in a pie wedge shaped box for $6. I should have bought all of his ammo, but I stupidly only bought one box of that and went for his Austrian .30/06 instead.