Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

cleaning firearms

ArkSlim
United States of America

cleaning firearms

#1 Post by ArkSlim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 am

does anyone use alcohol (rubbing not drinking) to get the parts clean and oil off?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: cleaning firearms

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01 am

If you want the oil off, and a quick dry on the parts, I use spray brake cleaner to do a finish clean on parts that need a blast to get at hard to reach insides or parts I am going to cold blue.

For actual rifle cleaning, I use Hoppes #9, then reclean with Gunzilla on the first day. After a day or two I re-swabe the barrel bore with gunzilla. Then I use motor oil, straight 30 w, to oil the barrel and metal for storage. If it is going to sit in the safe a year or two I swabe the bore with grease instead of oil. After removal from long term storage and Prior to shooting, one has to clean the oil or grease out of the bore and chamber.

If you are getting cosmo off, soak the parts a few days in good old gas or mineral spirits. Then you got some nice stuff to spray on poison ivy as a weed killer. :lol:

Actual, pure Isopropyl Alcohol cleaner costs much more like $12 rather than $3 a can, I believe rubbing alcohol has other additives??? see this quote:
Isopropyl alcohol (C3H8O), also known as rubbing alcohol, is an alcoholic mixture intended for external use as an antiseptic; it usually contains 70% by volume of absolute alcohol or isopropyl alcohol; the remainder consists of water, denaturants, and perfume oils;
I have never used it to remove oil on metal prior to a paint job, re-blue, or antique solution application to metal where dry, oil free surfaces are needed. The two items shown below actually work to get oil off metal surfaces. If you have gallons of the rubbing stuff to get rid of, I guess it might do, but I would not buy it as a cleaner. Gunzilla is safe in the house for barrel cleaning. Brake cleaner, gas, mineral spirits, Hoppes #9 is best used outside in the shed or garage due to smell & fire hazard. Even inside the Isopropyl spray stinks. Not good for cats, dogs, and the better half that hates the smell of gun cleaning, or lamp part cleaning. And do not even clean car parts in the house, you want to see a woman go nuts, clean a vintage carb in the house with carb cleaner. :naughty: :doh: :shhh: :shhh: :snooty:
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.12.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.12.40 AM.png (75.18 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.07.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.07.17 AM.png (72.48 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#3 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14 pm

I've used alcohol as a cleaner degreaser but not rubbing alcohol which contains water & sometimes its own oils!
Brake cleaner works well. as does yellow "Heet" which is pure alcohol.

ArkSlim
United States of America

#4 Post by ArkSlim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks guy;s

shoot4fun
United States of America

#5 Post by shoot4fun » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 pm

acetone
denatured alcohol
brake cleaner

all work for me. Some work better than others on certain problems.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Walmart Brake cleaner at 1.95 a can. Enough to last a month of shooting.
Alcohol is hygroscopic. I would not use it on any firearm.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#7 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Alcohol is a good degeaser & cosmolene solvent.
HOWEVER
It does absorb (literally) Water.
For that reason I always recommend thoroughly wiping down & re oiling immediately after every use.

Return to “Military Semi-Automatic Rifles General Topics”