http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:45 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I have not fired my new 91/30. I notice that the bolt body moves up as I pull the trigger. Uh, is this normal? It can't help accuracy in anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:17 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The cocking piece should move forward, but not the whole bolt body. If the bolt isn't locked all the way, the energy from the firing pin spring will lock the bolt prior to striking the primer.

Other then that I have no idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:47 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I have a 32 hex 9130 that does the same.
Doesn't affect function or accuracy except out of the bottom of my eye I can see it move.
I just got used to it
It's one of my most accurate shooters. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:58 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Wow never had that happen to me!! but live and learn let us know what you find out please?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:49 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The bolt arm sort of moves up and down as the trigger is pulled, maybe a centimeter or less. This seems to be due to the sear's design. This has been my experience with the Mosin. It's not perfectly refined, but it really doesn't pose any negative effect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:50 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I am hoping thats a millimeter or less.... :x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:27 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Quite common for the bolt components to move when dry firing a Mosin Nagant. Remember, the rifle fires a rimmed cartridge. When you cycle the action on a cartridge to fire, it head spaces and locks up on the rimmed area and the outer chamber wall. That is when the bolt head and body become locked up for firing.
When cycling an empty weapion there is no rim present to lock up the bolt.
I do not think dry firing hurts a Mosin Nagant but my practice is to pull the trigger with your index finger and hold back on the cocking knob with the thumb on the same hand and let the knob release rather slowly. Just a habit I use and particularly polite when cycling an action of someone elses rifle or at a Gun Show etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:43 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I asked that same question a couple of years back, and the shooters on board then all told me that this is normal creep. Every Mosin I've owned does the same thing. Remember the military tolerances. A grain of sand shouldn't be allowed to jam a rifle bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Just adding my $.02
what i do to release the firing pin is, Lift the bolt handle up (in the pull back position) pull the trigger, then lower the bolt handle down slowly. Of course this does not work if you are doing it to feel the trigger pull.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

both good point AK and sandlapper..Never really thought about it but been releasing firing pin on all my rifles that way since I was 12 ..
And being a ex navy man I understand the grain of sand have cleaned many with sand or mud or various things in the breech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:39 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Yep, to my knowledge totally normal. Every mosin i've fired does similar, where the bolt handle seems to rise up just alittle bit when dry fired. The bolt wiggles alittle from the shock of the trigger being pulled. That's probably even a good sign.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:54 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

bolt handle wiggle is perfectly normal. so is the cocking piece moving up and down while firing. even if the bolt handle isn't closed all the way, pulling the trigger closes it.
one of the ways i check out a new mosin for bolt function is to close the bolt just intil you feel a slight "click", then pull the trigger. if the firing pin spring is good and the bolt isn't bound up by crud, it will close all the way. very fast way, especially at a gunshow, to check bolt and sear function.

y'all have a good day, Keith