http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have a line on a right nice 7.62 Nato Izzy K98 and was wondering if .308 Win. is safe in it. I have Ishy 2As that folks say regular .308 Win is too stout to feed it all the time but that is a different action. It would seem to me that a 7.62 K98 action would handle .308 Win just fine. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks

Last edited by 1srelluc on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Many a K98 has been rechambered in rounds substanially hotter than .308 Winchester, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:15 pm 

I had much the same question about Israeli Mausers and using .308 and here was the answer - some good links to read.

Rick,
Nice rifle. I have one also and I remember a thread about the difference between 308 and the Nato 7.62 round. I'm definetly not an expert but if I remember correctly the 308 round generated far more PSI than the Nato round and the general consensus was not use commerical 308 rounds in this gun.

Joe

Here go the links to the articles that talk about this issue

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp

I'd appreciate if someone could post more info on this if available.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:06 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I've seen sporterized K98s chambered in .300 Win Mag. If they can handle that, .308 Winchester should be no problem at all.

Also, your links don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:55 am 

Sorry about the links not working. Try this link, which takes you to the thread discussing this subject. Go to the second post from the top - those links should work.

RtL

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=57800&start=15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Just the info I needed. Better safe than sorry. I don't need the Darwin award. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:43 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

As long as it was the three lug large ring mauser, I wouldn't have a problem loading commercial .308 WIN in it. I probably wouldn't shoot commercial out of a 2 lug one like an FR-7.... just to be on the safe side.

98 Mauser actions have been chambered to shoot all kinds of whizzbang magnum hellfire rounds that I think it can handle .308 just fine. YMMV

I wonder if they (commerical manufacturers, both foreign and domestic) don't download most .308 ammo because they reckon that it'll be shot in all sorts of 7.62x51 military weapons (kinda like why commercial 8x57 JS is pretty anemic out of fear of someone shooting it in a 8x57 J rifle.

For my part I prefer fifty thousand rifles to fifty thousand votes. - Mussolini

M39 Ukko-Pekka, for when you are *serious* about fighting communism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:35 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I cannot find any 7.62 NATO load data. Anyone have some? I am awaiting my first IDF mauser and am thinking of using the starting load for .308 on the data that I have.

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

singleshotcajun wrote:
I cannot find any 7.62 NATO load data. Anyone have some? I am awaiting my first IDF mauser and am thinking of using the starting load for .308 on the data that I have.

Lots of worries over nothing......

Load the .308 and shoot it in the Mauser.

I'd like to see some published "7.62 NATO load data"....

As stated before the Mauser has had large magnum barrels screwed into the same receiver with no issues... 7.62NATO/.308 in a '98 Mauser is perfectly fine...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Does anyone have any insight on this: K98 using Commercial .308 vs 7.62X51 ?

Load it and shoot it! It can handle much more than that. Consider this.....7.62X51 is used
for semi-autos, full auto fire in various weapons in several countries, M60 MG's, etc. Often
fodder for full auto fire is loaded hotter than standard spec, if the IDF put their full auto
fodder thru these, you will have no problems with commercial .308.

Take a look at Frank C. Barnes Cartridges of The World Books on both calibres.

jmcdude Psalm 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

"Often fodder for full auto fire is loaded hotter than standard spec, if the IDF put their full auto
fodder thru these, you will have no problems with commercial .308."

There is no such thing as Nato MG ammo. Israel and the IDF did not use anything remotely called or spec'd "full auto fodder". Nato-spec 7.62x51 is all the same, there is no rifle or MG ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Most of the"paranoia" about the 308 vs 7.62x51 has not so much to do with the chamber pressure as the residual pressure at the gas port and head spacing.
Rifles chambered in 76.62x51 tend to run longer in the headspace than rifles chambered in 308 Win(SAAMI spces). This is especially true in the Chinese built Polytech and Norinco rifles which are usually chambered to NATO specs. Shooting Mil Surp NATO spec ammo in these loose chambers is not a problem as the Military brass is thicker to allow for more stretching. Commercial brass, which is usually thinner, will not stretch as much and can have a case seperation in the chamber.
External dimensions of 308 Win and &.62x52 NATO are essentially the same. My Springfield M1A(Civilian M-14) is marked 308 Win on the barrel.
Most commercial manufactuors of 308 Win ammo load it to the max for best performance. This usually means slower burning powders than what the military uses. The slower burning powders give higher pressures at the gas port in semi auto rifles, and this higher pressure can damage some of the rifle parts.
Mauser 98 actions(Large ring, 3 lug bolt) have been successfully converted to 458 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag, 358 Norma Mag, 338 Win Mag, and 300 Win Mag. I have just finished one in 300 Win Mag for my son, and am currently building one in 300 for my self, with a possible 458 Win Mag down the road.
I would not worry one bit about shooting either 308s or 7.62 Nato in your rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:10 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Ammo issues aside, most of the controversy is on the individual firearm's ability to handle higher pressure loads.

The K98 series receivers as have been said have proven reliable with a large assortment of rechamberings... I usually err on the side of safety, but in the case of 7.62 NATO K98's and the Indian 2A/2A1's both are proven to be able to handle any higher pressure issues. Other 7.62 NATO rifles I would seriously err on the side of caution as usual.

Now if the k98 had a real sloppy chamber, I'd go with NATO ammo just because of the stronger brass.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:31 am 

I posted NATO specs for 7.62x51 in the reloading forum, for those of you who have expressed interest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:09 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

This is mostly for jonnyc, but regards 7.62 NATO having only one loading spec, try this one:

http://www.dsarms.com/ammowarn.asp and look at the bottom listing, 1970 Israeli Browning
Machine Gun ammo. Likewise read the whole list.

Not meaning to start a pi...ing match, but it was put rather straightforward that there is no
such thing etc. Apparently DSA believes it exists, as does the other loadings referenced in
the ammo warning they set forth on their site. :wink:

Back to the original issue, load it and shoot either one thru it, it will handle much more than
these two rnds.

jmcdude Psalm 1