http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello, the local gun store up the road has a supposed Romanian made 8mm Mauser with what appears to me to be Arabic writing and a crest on the reciever.

It is also supposed to be a carbine and it has a recoil pad so I am thinking it has been sportered or at least a recoil pad added. Its in decent shape good bore and stock with a smooth action.

I would like to know what other info you guys have on this particular gun, what its possible value would be and is it "rare" since its a carbine.

Thanks

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:07 pm 

It's Turk. The moon is the give away. Photo's of the receiver ring would help.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

>>>
It's Turk ammo. Only shoot it in a rifle in good shape. Do not shoot it in an FN49.
>>>

Different threads?

I didn't know the Romanians made Mauser action rifles, that's news to me. It seems more likely to me that it's a sporterized Czech made Persian Mauser. Farsi is based on Arabic so it looks extremely "foreign" and the fact that you mention how "smooth" the action is makes me think Persian.

If it's a Carbine, even if it was sporterized I'd buy it for $300 or maybe a little more. I bought a bubba bent bolt Persian for $200 just because it was SOOOO pretty and well made, to frame that comment. The recoil pad implies the stock was chopped, which makes me sad, but my Persian is the most accurate Mauser I own.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Brian in CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:58 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Never trust a gun stores description of a military surplus rifle!
The Romanians had a version of the VZ-24 mauser. VZ-24s are notable for their very smooth actions. It is possible that the Turks were in possession of some of these - or it could be that someone replaced the rear sight with an Arabic one. Pictures would tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:40 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Did the crest have a lion holding a sword on it ? If so it was a Persian. In average condition worth maybe $250 or more. Now if it was a carbine, run don't walk back to that store and buy it. Worth a lot more.

Hard to tell with out pictures or more information. Even if the rifle has been altered from original condition they are great shooters. Very accurate.

Vonalt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:36 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello guys,

I know the owner of the gun store very well he was just telling me what the guy he took it in on trade told him and asked me for help since I am more familiar with Mausers.

After thinking it over Im pretty sure the stock has been cut and a recoil pad attached but other than that is still the original stock.

The rifle does have the crest with the Lion with a sword. The "Arabic" writing was on the left side of the magazine opening just behind the reciever.

Im not sure how to tell a carbine from a standard Persian rifle is there any way to do so?

Also he is looking for about 375-400 for the rifle and spam can of 8mm ammo some of that 1970's Romanian. Im thinking thats where hes getting the Romanian from.

Here is a pic sorry Im not a great photographer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Could well have been a nice Czech-made Persian carbine. Too bad about the Bubba butt pad. Not worth the 375+ with that stock. I'd knock another 75 - 100 off that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:12 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I am pretty sure that is a Persian Mauser Carbine. Is the bolt bent down with Farsi (Arabic) writing on it? I think you will find the stock not be cut down just that rubber pad was put on the rifle. Now the trick is to find a replacement original butt plate.