http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Last year I glommed a Persian Mauser that had been drilled and tapped for a scope. Included the mount, rings and a very nicely turned down bolt handle.

It is in pristine condition and I finally got around to handloading some 8x57 rounds for it. I used 44.5, 45.0, 45.5, 46.0 and 46.5 grains of IMR 4064 pushing a 200 grain Nosler CC bullet, 5 round groups @ 100 yards

The 44.5 and 46.0 grain loads were pretty much wash outs. The 45.0 load was the best, followed by the 46.5 gr. The 45.5 grainer was also pretty good, but had a flyer of about 4", completely off the target. In fact all three of these groups looked good...maybe 1.25MOA, except for a flyer...every time.

Here's the rifle...

I know, I know...it's a travesty, but that is how it came to me. I did mount a 10x40 Bushnell scope on it.

Here are the groups.

45.0 grains

45.5 grains

46.5 grains
Image]

Thinking of going with the 45 grain load at the Vintage Military match this weekend...they are going to a third relay, so I could shoot this rifle in the "open class" and a Swiss in the "as issued".

Anyone have a pet 8mm Mauser load?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Every member here dreams about scoping one of thier milsurps. Most would not dream of D&Ting a nice rifle. You are one of the few who picked up one that had already been altered. I'd keep my eyes open and older scope,say a k-4 and shoot away.....Larry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Thanks, Larry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Went to the range today to zero the scope on my Persian with the 45.0 grain load.

First shot struck edge of the black at 3:00 o'clock. Cranked in 12 clicks to the left and fired 6 more. I'm still getting some vertical stringing. I rechecked the action screws and tightened them about an eighth of a turn...didn't seem to have much affect.

It is now sighted in at 100 yards. Guess I'll need to find some generic come ups for the scope for the match tomorrow...it will at least give me a place to start.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Great looking/shooting Mauser!!!

Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:16 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Thanks, epi

The old girl did well at the match yesterday. I tied for second place with a 37/40. The winner was shooting a scoped Finnish 28/76. I ended up third after the shoot off with two others that also scored 37/40. One was shooting a scoped K31 and the other a scout-scoped Swedish M38 Mauser. The shoot off involves shooting the turkeys at 420 yards in a sudden death format. The K31 shooter dropped out after 4 rounds and then the Swede shooter and I went 6 more rounds. The crowd was getting restless, so the match director decided to settle it by having us shoot at the chickens off hand. Trying to shoot the Persian off hand was a little much and after three rounds, the Swede shooter connected with a chicken and it was all over

The match involves shooting chicken, pig, turkey and ram silhouettes at ranges of 220 yards (chickens), 330 yards (pigs), 420 yds (turkeys) and rams (550) yards. Rifles are 50 year old "as issued" rifles, shot prone off a soft front rest (sand bag or backpack). There are also "open class" for scoped military rifles, "target sight class" for the diopter sighted military rifles and "vintage sporter". Here's a picture of the silhouette range at my club:

We also shoot these same rifles in a " long range" vintage military match. This is a match shot at paper bullseye targets at 300, 500, 600, and 800 yards.

This match is shot at the 1000 yard range at the top of this satellite picture

http://binged.it/LRzsfF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Match results from lat weekend

Image[/QUOTE]