http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Picked this up at a show today. I saw it last week and did some research and decided I needed to have it, haha! I payed $540 with no tax. Part of it was trade value in a WZ-48 trainer, so I didn't pay the full price with cash. Anyway it's a real neat piece and I've never seen one in person person.

Everything on it appears correct except for the M49 bolt. The stock is an M30 stock and has the rifles' serial number on it. The stock disc has nothing written in it, though I don't know if it should or not. Didn't come with a cleaning rod, but that's no big deal for me. Rear sight is marked in Farsi. No import mark to be found and it has a pristine bore. Should be a good shooter.

Took it down when I got back and found most of the screws just didn't wanna come lose easily. I figure no one has taken it apart in years. It had a good amount of surface rust on a few areas, but nothing that causes worry for me. Luckily there was nothing at all under the wood line.

Two little things I noticed. First is the Farsi writing in the cut out on the stock for the bolt handle. Not sure why it's there, but it looks neat. Second is some dots on the buttplate in the form of an "X" and "I". Looks to have been done long ago, probably by whoever originally bought this little carbine when it was imported.

Overall it's a neat little carbine, but I couldn't really find too much out about it before I purchased it. Found a few examples on here and some other forums, but nothing really price wise. I don't think I got hosed, but this rifle is very interesting so I wouldn't care if I did. Ha! Enjoy the photos!

Help contribute to my Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant website!

Last edited by lthilsdorf on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Hello,thats an interesting looking rifle. i have never seen that configuiration before. i like the front sight protectors and the "saddle ring". is what you paid pretty much the going price for one of these critters? whats with the no blueing at the last 3/8" of the muzzle?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Ya, I hadn't heard of this model in any real detail prior to finding this example either, ha! It's real neat. I think I overpaid a little bit, considering it's non-matching, but the price was pretty close to the going rate. I tried to find examples for sale online but could find very few examples. It was tough enough just finding information on it without having to ask on the forums!

I also noticed that the blueing in missing on the muzzle. It seems too uniform to be due to using a bayonet many times, but I suppose that would make sense. Maybe someone else will chime in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nice Brno carbine. The numbers painted in the bolt handle cut off is 15. Probably the rack number.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

A fine example. I have a fondness for these carbines. They,surprisingly, give up very little along the lines of accuracy compared to short rifles. Is this something you might shoot or just collect?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks guys. I've got some leftover 8mm from when I had a post-war Czech K98 so I'll probably at least shoot the rest of that off to get an idea how this little guy does. The bore is almost 100% condition, with strong lands and grooves and an extremely shiny bore. I'm surprised, considering the wear on the outside, but whoever had this rifle in Iran must have taken good care of it. I feel like it hasn't been shot in a long, long time.

Any idea where I could get a cleaning rod or sling? usually I don't add cleaning rods to rifles that are missing them upon purchase, but for this one I kinda wanna make an exception.

And as for slings, any idea what it would have been issued with? Or what would be correct? I can barely find information on the rifle, let alone Persian slings, ha!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Nice rifle. I've always loved the 98/30 carbine. Basically a shortened 98/22 with saddle ring. I've got a 98/22 Persian mauser that I have had for nearly 20 years. They are great shooters.

Might be tough to find an original cleaning rod. Just check around all the usuals, Numrich's, Springfield sporters, Sarco. As for the sling, I think Samco Global used to carry some for the Persian Mauser 98/22 but they were new manufacture. Might be hard to find an original in good condition.

Good Luck,
Smitty

"If at first you don't succeed.....adjust your sights!!"