http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:53 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The topic of Samco "no bluing" 98/29 Persian Mausers seems to be hot right now. A few years ago I bought three of them with the intention of having them refinished. I've had two of them reblued and had the stocks refinished and am getting ready to send off the remaining one.

I've already posted pics of the first one that came back here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=59057

I figured now is a good time to post pics of the other one that I had refinished:

This is what the rifles looked like when they arrived from Samco;

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

they really are nice. even more so after clean up. And the refinish job you had done was great. it really makes me want one again.. A persian has been on the list for decades, since they were 6oo bucks with bayonet and target, unfired. never had the cash, i was buying Ak's and M1's... thanks for the pics. i may never get one, but i can enjoy yours...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 am 
any reason you didn't re-blue the bayo lug? Beautiful rifle...looks like something I could do, a unique fixer-upper!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
they really are nice. even more so after clean up. And the refinish job you had done was great. it really makes me want one again.. A persian has been on the list for decades, since they were 6oo bucks with bayonet and target, unfired. never had the cash, i was buying Ak's and M1's... thanks for the pics. i may never get one, but i can enjoy yours...

Thanks, Charles

VinnAY wrote:
any reason you didn't re-blue the bayo lug? Beautiful rifle...looks like something I could do, a unique fixer-upper!

Thanks, VinnAY

Yep. The original 98/29 Persian Mauser came with a polished bayo lug. Here are a couple of pictures of a Persian Mauser that I recently won at an auction. It is in beautiful original condition, except someone drilled and tapped it for a scope base. Check out the bayo lug.the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 pm 
now thats what I call attention to detail on the bayo lug!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The bores on these "no blues" are incredible

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:38 pm 
im so tempted now to get me one...darn you!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

That thing is beautiful... and I don't think I've ever seen a better bore on a milsurp besides my k31!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Every Persian Mauser bore I've seen looks like that. Here is the bore on the Persian with the scope mount...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I was thinking of buying one of Samco's Persian Mausers too, mainly because they list "new condition" ones for $699. However, your experience with the $299 "no blue" ones piqued my interest.

So couple questions:

How much extra did the total surgery cost to refinish the stock and blue the metal, including shipping the parts away?
In your opinion, is the end result as good as a new $699 Persian, or just close?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The reblue done by Mark at Bluridge Gun Bluing is $90...shipping depends on where you are shipping from, but was about $15 each way for me from California to Virginia.

The stock refinishing by Larry at Reissued Surplus Rifles is $75, plus $5.00 return shipping. The shipping to Larry cost me $11.00.

I haven't seen a new $699 Persian, so I can't offer an opinion as to how mine compare.

If you want a shooter, the restored Persians are probably indistinguishable from new. Of course, they would not have the collector's value.