Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

First range session after 25 year absence. WOW!!

KneverKnew
United States of America

First range session after 25 year absence. WOW!!

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:31 pm

So now that I've re-acquired my old Ljungman that I sold some 25 years ago, I gave it a good cleaning, acquired some M41 pointed Surplus Swedish Ammo and walked outside to see how she does after all this time. Way back then, I was fresh out of the Marine Corps and had better than 20/20 vision. Today, however, there's not much about me that is "fresh" anymore. My eyes are somewhere around 20/20, maybe a little less, but I do need reading glasses. So the sights were quite blurry and required a good deal of concentration to line up with the 12" shoot-n-see target I was using. Rear sight is calibrated for the m39 round nose bullets and set to 100 "meters." Shooting from my deck railing out to about 100 yards, I fired SEVEN rounds with a 6 o'clock hold. The first two were fouling shots, to burn out any cleaning oil residue. They landed about 3" to the right of POA and dead on vertically. The last five shots were measured for group size. They hit the same 3" to right of POA and about 3" to 4" high. I walked across the field to collect the target and really wasn't expecting what I found. Those last five shots measured 1-3/4" !!! WOW!!! I really wasn't expecting that.
Cases were slung, as expected, as far as 36 feet away. Some landed on the ground only nine feet away, and even on the steps below my shooting position, but I think that was due to the brass hitting the roof overhang above me and deflecting back down. Otherwise they would have flown on out into the yard with the others. The cases were dented as expected, but should resize just fine. So now I know this old rifle still shoots really good, depite my blurry eyes. Now it's time to find the right screw and make the gas system adjustable. Then I will retest with the M41's, using my Shooting Chrony and start working up some reloads.
My shooting position. Kinda rickety but it works.
Berm across field measures 98 yards.
The two in blue were the first two fouler shots. Five shots in the black measure 1-3/4" center to center.

Since these rifles were set to hit 4" high at 100 meters, I'd say it seems everything was hitting just about dead on. I need to adjust front sight to bring the group back to center but that should be easy. Looks like the front sight is already somewhat to the right side though. It's going to look funny when I run it even more to the right. I sure wished the rear sight was windage adjustable.
You can see the front sight sitting way to the right side already.

I currently have the original +0.5 front sight on the rifle now. If I wanted to bring the POI down to dead on at 100 yards, which sight should I install? I have +-0, +1 and +2 on order from SS. Is there ANY way the POI can be brought back over the needed 3" to the left so it's dead center WITHOUT running the front sight all the way to the right side of the front sight post? I can't think of any.

sowbelle
United States of America

Re: First range session after 25 year absence. WOW!!

#2 Post by sowbelle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:04 pm

WOW That is great shooting. When you learn to shoot correctly as you did in the Marines, it is just like riding a bike.
Welcome back to the sport and thanks for your service :clap:

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:15 pm

sowbelle wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:04 pm
WOW That is great shooting. When you learn to shoot correctly as you did in the Marines, it is just like riding a bike.
Welcome back to the sport and thanks for your service :clap:
Thank you for the kind words. I was very pleased with how it shot, despite my aged eyes. My Carl Gustof C96 short rifle can do even better with my best reloads...at least it could back when my eyes were better. I still have that Swedish Mauser.
Just to clarify, I haven't been out of the shooting sports for 25 years. I sold my Ljungman over 25 years ago and just recently was able to re-acquire it from my friend who has had it in storage. Ever since I got out of the Corps and started college I've been busy reloading and shooting all kinds of different calibers, both rifles and pistols. I'm a member at our local range and also belong to a local black powder rifle club. I suppose as long as I can see what I'm aiming at and my trigger finger still works, I will continue shooting for as long as I am able.

sowbelle
United States of America

#4 Post by sowbelle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh ok sorry about the misunderstanding
Again thank you for your service😃

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#5 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 am

I'm always sort of jealous of guys that can shoot off their back deck. I'm also jealous of that beautiful Swede. Semper Fi!

KneverKnew
United States of America

#6 Post by KneverKnew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 am

Living in the sticks has a few advantages. Semper Fi!

Return to “Ljungman Style Rifles”