http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Hi guys. I came across this Brazilian Mauser variant, a vendor has 2 of these. They appear to be in great shape, anyone on the forum have one of these? Other than quick info online, I can find little about whether they shoot well???? It appears they are 1908 (Mauser 98's) reworked from 7mm Mauser to 7.62 x 51 NATO. Thanks, Marc

Attachments:
MosqueFal M968.jpg
MosqueFal M968.jpg [ 77.4 KiB | Viewed 2961 times ]

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:27 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

From what I gathered thus far, the rifle would be similar to the Spanish FR8 to supplement their FN FAL. Anyone on the forum have one of these...shot one or know how accurate these rifles are? Obviously, they are not talked about very much and appear to be somewhat uncommon. Marc

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

i have seen one once a long time ago. woud like to have one in my collection.

i would think in .308 or 7.62 the chances of a good bore would be better then most. because they would have been used with noncorosive ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Thanks Bob, I have yet to see this rifle come up on this or most other forums. It's a little known sister to the FR8. I know it's built on a Mauser 98 action, I don't know if it's a rebarrel. I will contact the vendor directly and see what information they have on these. Milspec 7.62x51 ammo is available, just not that common.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Marc,

What are they asking for one of those?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Jim, the asking price is high, $650.00 #-o It's a unique enough rifle, though it's basically a rechambered Brazilian 1908 Large Ring Mauser (7mm).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

G'day Marc
I too have acquired one of these rare Brazilians, having only seen three in 25 years of ex-military shooting in Australia. I have always wanted one just to see how good an 'issued' peep sighted Mauser rifle could shoot. A few years ago I obtained a FR-8 as I always thought I could get one of those to shoot well too (qualifying statement - produce reliable twelve inch groups at 300m and be capable of holding a 20 inch group at 500m from unsupported positions using a sling under good conditions), however, the FR-8 suffers from a very short sight radius with a wide/large foresight with a fearsome recoil and an equally impressive muzzle blast from the short barrel combined with the 'bird cage' flash suppressor; the rifle also was not reliable in feeding unless a particular method was used to manipulate the bolt. The results of my experience (a good year) were that the eccentric front sight was a nightmare to zero, the rifle was short and very handy in the close scrub of the NT, accurate distance of the rifle was 200m beyond that was dependant on light conditions to be able to position a target on that massive foresight being the main limitation. I sold the rifle to member of my new club in Brisbane when I moved there and he likes it.

As for the similarity of the FR-8 and the M968 both chambered in 7.62 x 51 - they are rolled as interim weapons - or in the case of the M968 - are used as recruit training rifles to free up current weapons for the main forces and as I cannot confirm completely the FR-8 was sold off straight away as enough CENTME rifles were available which is not the case for the M968. The sight on the FR-8 is a nightmare to zero with no adjustment on the rear sight and a eccentric threaded post (which must have been designed by a slightly insane individual) providing windage and elevation on the one thread. The M968 sight is very similar to the G3 but it is not the same - the G3 is calibrated to 500m and the M968's drum goes to 600. The adjustment for 'zeroing' the sighting system is contained within the rear sight drum; with a single detent (the G3 has two) which is pushed down thereby allowing the drum to be turned up or down to achieve a suitable point of impact at to enable the 'range markings 2-3-4-5-and 600m to be of use. The foresight is a H&K 'solid cast' affair with no adjustment capable but a robust feature. The sight radius is much larger than the FR-8 thereby allowing precise (well better than the FR-8) points of aim to be taken. I have at this point only fired the rifle at distances out to 300m and am looking forward to taking it out further.
However, mine is not in as pristine condition as yours; having a very well-worn stock which has taken many hours of work, and still requiring top coats of Tong oil, to inlay new sections of timber, having new sight adjusting screws made and working out how to adjust the rear sight to gain a correct zero.
The rifle's barrel is in good condition, and produced ten round groups of three inches at 100m from a prone position with a sling. The rubber butt plate, combined with the G3 flash/muzzle break tame the standard 7.62x51 milspec load making it an pleasant rifle to shoot.
I did have issues with the 'sloppy' bolt having so much vertical movement that the extractor was hitting the receiver when the mag was full; so I just chamfered the extractor - which is made of relatively soft steel to ease the entry of the bolt into the receiver.
So I'm enjoying the evolving Mauser journey and hope you are too.
Regards,
Peter.R

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:42 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The Brazilian adventure continues - what have I discovered - the Brazilian armouries/factory have used their 7mm Mauser short rifle 1908/34 stock with a modified butt plate in letting for the M968 rifle. The flash suppressor is niether a flash suppressor or a muzzle break it is a mount for a grenade projector of some kind as the ports on the housing face forward, not rearward if it was supposed to be a break.

The accuracy of this rifle is outstanding with 50mm 5 shot groups at 100mm normal (144gn FMJ) and I believe that the way the foresight housing sits in the rear sight produce a unequalled sighting arrangement.

The stock on my rifle was in very poor condition and after researching the various stocks available through e gun parts I found an exact match. The M968 stock has unique sling mounting points and the M1908/34 is the stock which they used - great and they only cost $32 USD and landed in OZ was under $60. The manner in which the, again unique, butt plate was mounted was replicated with my trusty dremmel tool with router and a course file in about three hours today. The butt plate also was not a complete match in profile and a few gentle runs with the file took the stock down to the same profile as the plate.

As for a finish the timber is a yellow colour and came up very nice with a walnut stain and will be finished off with several tong oil coats.

The tightness of the head spacing is 'crush' and the chamber will need to be 'tickled' out to allow the bolt to be closed with ease.

But all in the entire rifle is a gem and being in 7.62 the shooting is cheap and very accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Pfricha6,fantastic description on this rifle. The same vendor I described still has 2 for sale, alas they are still 650$. A bit too rich for my taste. We can also get surplus 7.62x51 which is relatively inexpensive. I'd rather dump 600 $ into a mosin pu sniper and get 880 rounds for 200$. Enjoy your rifle and post up some photos!

Marc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

waffenamt wrote:
pfricha6 wrote:
The Brazilian adventure continues - what have I discovered - the Brazilian armouries/factory have used their 7mm Mauser short rifle 1908/34 stock with a modified butt plate in letting for the M968 rifle. X

If the Brazilians used the Czech M1908/34 stock for the M968 rifle, I wonder if they didn't also use the Czech M1908/34 receiver instead of the German M1908 receiver.

Regards,
Bill

The Brazilians would have used whatever they had on hand and i doubt if they really cared who the original manufacturer was, remember these were rebuilt from original 7mm rifles and no doubt on a tight budget .If you have a look at the photo's in the link you will see one made with an Israeli stock, is it an original Brazilian rebuild...I don't know . There is not a lot of info on these rifles out there, I've got a M954, never seen a photo of what is attached to the threads on the end of the barrel .They're obviously better at keeping secrets than our countries are

http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mosquefal_m968.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Well Bill do you think that Brazil would have gone to the expense of importing European Beech wood to make their stocks locally ? I don't think so, the stock looks typical Israeli to me albeit modified. Maybe Brazil got some surplus ones at a good price. As to Bubba being involved ,of course it's possible but as I said earlier information is not readily available .