http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I need some ammo for my rifle, can I use modern 7mm ammo that I can buy at a gun store, or is it to hot for the rifle to handle ?.

Is there some place were I could find some surplus ammo ?.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Few people have commented on this deal -
I have an 1895 but have not cleaned it up yet. So I'm not ready to fire mine yet.
Speaking of which - is there a good link someplace to find a "how to on this?"

http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-mauser.html

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:26 am 

All rifles chambered for 7x57 ammo can handle modern 7x57 Mauser ammo. SAAMI specifications, that all manufacturers follow, specify a lower pressure for 7mm than for modern .308, 30-06, 7mm Mag etc. ammo, so the older rifles are safe when modern ammo is used.

I haven't seen surplus 7mm Mauser ammo for many, many years, except for the link havan posted above. It's an easy cartridge to load for though, so that is probably your best low cost source for ammo - handloading once fired commercial brass or by buying empty new brass and rolling your own.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:34 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I don't think it's written in gold anywhere but it's my understanding that 7x57 American mfg. ammo has always been loaded to lower pressure levels because of all the pre 98 Mausers and rolling block rifles that are still around in this country. I handload now but I've never had a sign of excess pressure or any other problems with Federal 175 or Remington 140 7x57 ammo in three different 95 Chileans. That said if you haven't already done it I'd have the rifle checked out by a certified gunsmith to make sure there's no headspace or other safety issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

My experience with Privi Partizan, non American made 7x57 that's also sold in America, is that it seems to be loaded to the full capability of a modern 7x57. When I tried it in my 95 Chileans there was more recoil in all three and primers started to back out in one rifle. I think it's very good ammo but I'd say it's loaded hotter than commercial American and subsequently would seem to generate more pressure.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I've used S&B 173 grain 7x57 factory loads with no issues (other than recoil). :D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 am 

Fraser wrote:
I don't think it's written in gold anywhere but it's my understanding that 7x57 American mfg. ammo has always been loaded to lower pressure levels because of all the pre 98 Mausers and rolling block rifles that are still around in this country. I handload now but I've never had a sign of excess pressure or any other problems with Federal 175 or Remington 140 7x57 ammo in three different 95 Chileans. That said if you haven't already done it I'd have the rifle checked out by a certified gunsmith to make sure there's no headspace or other safety issues.

Not really. That's 8x57 you're thinking of - lawyer loads because of fears they'd be shot in .318 bores. The American loads are more than 20,000 psi lighter than the European loads. In 7x57, the SAAMI (US) standards are the same as Europe. Many US ammo makers have lawyer loads for almost everything. Not that I'm saying or implying that US loads are the same as European - just that there's no standard collusion like there is for 8mm.

The loading manuals load to 46,000 cup and that's the same pressure that the SAAMI standard and the Euro standard - not quite up there with .243, .270, .30/06 standards of 52,000, but a lot more than many older cartridges.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:28 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Im still learning about these rifles, so is 7x57 = 7mm ?.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:26 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

You would typically refer to 7x57 as 7mm Mauser, so as not to confuse it with other 7mm cartridges.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I've been looking at published figures for commercial loaded 7x57 with 139-145gr bullets (Remington, Winchester, Federal, S&B, and PPU) and have come to the conclusion that these specific European ammo loads are slightly less powerful than US made stuff, with slightly lower muzzle velocities and energies (in Joules). If the CIP-spec ammo generated greater chamber pressures than SAAMI-spec ammo, I should think it would be reflected in increased muzzle velocities.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

PAcanis wrote:
You would typically refer to 7x57 as 7mm Mauser, so as not to confuse it with other 7mm cartridges.

So if I bought a box of 7mm ammo is would be ok to use it in my rifle ?.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have shot modern 7mm Mauser out of at least one of my 7mm Mauser milsurps without problem, but of course I'm not going to say go ahead and do it and you'll be fine because there's always that one time... :shifty: Only you and/or your gunsmith can check over your rifle and take any precautions if they need taken. I will say, if shooting factory new, modern cartridges out of a rifle, even with bad headspace, you'd be hard pressed to have a problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The Shootist wrote:
PAcanis wrote:

There are several different types of ammo that will be labeled 7mm. Typically you'll find 7mm-08 (do not shoot this in your Mauser!) or 7mm Remington Magnum (don't shoot this in your Mauser either!) or some other modern hunting cartridge that uses a 7mm bullet. The ammunition for your Chilean Mauser will be labeled 7x57 or 7mm Mauser - something like this.

Looking for: Lithgow SMLEs, Tula M38, Tikka M39, IBM M1 carbine, US Navy S&W Victory revolver.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 am 

The Shootist wrote:
PAcanis wrote:

The simple answer is yes. If commercial ammo is marked 7x57 or 7mm Mauser, it is OK to shoot in '93 or '95 pattern Mausers in good, shootable condition.

All of these are acceptable: http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... category=3

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Stomper, You're right, based on the manufacturers published velocity figures the American mfg. 7x57 139/145 gr. ammo should have slightly higher velocity. The published velocities I found of the brands you mentioned say European mfg. S&B 140s is 2651 and Privi Partizan 139s is 2657. Remington, Federal and Winchester all say 2660.

I never chronied it so I can't say for sure but despite published figures the Privi Partizan 139s I've shot feel like a stronger load than other commercial ammo I've shot in that bullet weight range.