http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Well last year I was given a Mexican Mauser dated 1903 with markings indicating it had been built in germany ion the receiver. The bore of the gun was pristine to say the least not sure it had ever been fired. However the bluing was almost gone and the stock was a little rough however thier was no rust or any major damage. So what did I do I cold blued it and refinished the stock in light cherry and put some flat acrylic over it. Well it turned out purdy and the Mexican crest was not sanded away on the stock, but it no longer is original. So does anybody know how much it would be worth and how badly I killed the value.
Thanks in advanceImage

Last edited by chuck25 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I'm not sure if anyone can tell you that you "killed" the value by XX % since it will depend on the buyer in case you decide to sell it.

But to me, it would be a shooter and not a collectible anymore. I'm not sure what an original Mexican Mauser is worth but I wouldn't pay over $150-180 for any "shooter" mauser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Well, kill perhaps is too strong of a word..... you didn't carve up the stock and its not like Mexican Mausers are a dime a dozen these days..... but you did hurt the value.

Got any pictures? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I will take some tonight and try to post tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Looks good to me.

Didn't really kill it IMO.... I mean it is worth less than it was..... but no hacksaw, no drill no foul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The value of any item is only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I think it looks nice. Don't be worried about the value of something unless you are planning on selling it.

Then said Jesus unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

Remember: June 27 is 2nd Amendment Day June 27-July 4 is Freedom Week

Post subject: museum?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:28 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I think about anybody would have fixed up that beast some. Mexican Mousers (looking for one) don't grow on trees nowdays yet I dont see an museums or anywhere else offereing a bunch of money for the one you got. I will pay you minimum wage for your labor if you want to sell it hahahah.

Post subject: museums?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:37 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

RARELY do you run across anything that is affordable to the average guy that doesnt neet some fixing. Heck I put tung oil on and enfeild the other day. Did it ruin the value? It was worth 100 thn and the same now except it dont ruin my shirt carrying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:48 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Unless it is a rifle that has particular historical value like my 1858 Enfield, i touch up the bluing and apply BLo os shellac (whichever is appropriate) to the stock to restore it. I've never completely reblued nor have I stripped and refinished a stock on one of my bolt action milsurps.

Dave

Chinese Type 56, Romanian Model 56, Mosin 91/30 & 44, M-48, M-38, 98k, M-96, M96/38, K-31, Enfield #4 mk 2, VZ-24, M1916, Gewehr 88, Steyr M-95, M59/66A1, Berthier 07/15, Enfield 1858

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:14 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

ya I agree I like the way it came out. Now the queston remains were can I get more.