Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Anyone know the difference between the 1893 and 1895 Spanish
long rifle?
Thanks,
Denny

Post subject: Re: 95 vs 93???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 am 

The only difference in the action is that the 93 has a flat bottom bolt while the 95s is round. All of the rest of the small parts are interchangeable. Can't be of any help in the barrel/stock/sights areas though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Actually there is no such thing as a 1895 Spanish long rifle.
The long rifle models were 1891, 1892, 1893. The 91 & 92 models were only trials rifles and extremely rare.

There is however an 1895 Spanish carbine. But, it is really an 1893 action.
Mauser first started producing these little carbines at either Oberndorf or Loewe and marked them on the side rail Modelo 1893, however when Spain took over production at Oviedo they changed the model name to Modelo 1895.

Another difference between the 93 & 95 actions besides the bolt is that the 95 has a wider receiver tang. A 93 action will fit into a 95 stock but a 95 won't fit into a 93 stock without modifying the stock.

The receiver of the 95 also has a (so called) third locking lug behind the bolt handle.

Walter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

765mm wrote:
however when Spain took over production at Oviedo they changed the model name to Modelo 1895.Walter

not quite correct both of my oviedo spanish mausers are 93's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

urbanwolf wrote:
765mm wrote:
however when Spain took over production at Oviedo they changed the model name to Modelo 1895.Walter

not quite correct both of my oviedo spanish mausers are 93's

Are they marked Modelo 1893 or are you meaning that they are 1893 actions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

they are 1893 actions made in oviedo. long rifles, flat bolts etc
the ONLY spanish 1895 mauser is the carbine model. the long rifles made at oviedo are ONLY 1893 actions (of the 2 types mentioned 93-95) and were never called model 95s
now there IS an 1895 long mauser but it was made in berlin not oviedo and was sold to many countries like chile etc.
actually the model 91 and 92 you mention is also german made by ludwig loewe (dwm) :wink:
so for the original poster are you comparing the 1893 oviedo spanish long with the 1895 spanish carbine or are you comparing the model 93 and model 95 german made (DWM) mausers? or the model 93 oviedo with the model 95 german (dwm) mauser?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Urbanwolf, I wasn't refering to long rifles in that part of my post, I was refering to carbines :)

765mm wrote:
There is however an 1895 Spanish carbine. But, it is really an 1893 action.
Mauser first started producing these little carbines at either Oberndorf or Loewe and marked them on the side rail Modelo 1893, however when Spain took over production at Oviedo they changed the model name to Modelo 1895.

The 1895 Spanish Cavalry Carbine were first made by Loewe and have the Spanish crest on the receiver with either an 1894 or 1896 date below it. According to MMRotW, Spain offically adopted this carbine May 7 1895. Ball says, "Although offically adopted as the Model 1895 all Loewe carbines whether dated 1894 or 1896, are marked "Modelo 1893"." Even though they are called a Modelo 1895 they use an 1893 action.

I am aware that all Spanish long rifles are 1893 actions and the 1895 actions were never used by Spain but were used by Chile and others, that is what I was trying to say.

I was basically saying the same thing you said, but I guess I could have worded it better. :?

BTW, Actually the models 91 and 92 were made by Mauser Oberndorf, not Loewe. :wink:

Best regards,
Walter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:21 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Thanks Guys, that answers my question..........
Denny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Wilhelm Mauser suffered from health problems throughout his life, which were aggravated by his frequent business travels. A combination of these led to his death on January 13, 1882.[7] The partnership became a stock company with the name of Waffenfabrik Mauser on April 1, 1884.[8] The shares held by the Württemberg Vereinsbank and Paul Mauser were sold to Ludwig Löwe & Company on December 28, 1887, and Paul Mauser stayed as the technical leader.[8] Ludwig Löwe & Company was 50% owner of Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre, a company formed in 1889 to manufacture Mauser rifles for the Belgian government.[8] Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken A.G. (DWM) was formed on November 7, 1896, as a merger of Ludwig Löwe & Company A.G., Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik A.G., Rheinisch-Westfälischen Powder Company and Rottweil-Hamburg Powder Company.[9] Mauser A.G. was formed on April 23, 1897. After World War II, DWM was renamed Industrie-Werke Karlsruhe A.G. (IWK).[9]

see we're still saying the same thing just different ways :lol: :lol: :lol:
at least i'm glad you got your question answered leadhead.
765mm sorry my post should have said "quite correct". never noticed i had left "not" in there until just now when i went back and reread it. that's what i get for typing on auto pilot :oops: (started typing one thing deleted itand started typing another and didn't end up deleting entire first post, left "not"). we are saying the same thing you just came at it from the right i came at it from the left and took a little side trip through the swamp and over the hill...! i love it when we can both be right :thumb:
(this post edited for clarity)