Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Anyone here have a Russin SVT40?

S.B.
United States of America

Anyone here have a Russin SVT40?

#1 Post by S.B. » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Sure would appreciate some pictures and a review, please?
Steve

M67
Slovenia

Re: Anyone here have a Russin SVT40?

#2 Post by M67 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:30 am

One discovery from my local area- Tula 1941 and my SVT 40 purchase also Tula 1941. Nice but a little bit too long.
Attachments
SVT-40 cela.jpg
SVT Tula 41.jpg
SVT sezana2.jpg
SVT sezana1.jpg
SVT 6 komp.jpg
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

S.B.
United States of America

#3 Post by S.B. » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks for sharing M67,
Steve

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:28 pm

The SVT40 was a short lived rifle. The gas system is an interesting design that when you buy one of the surplus rifle,can be very worn and pitted.
This causes the gas regulator to be adjusted to a higher than normal setting. This in turn causes a very dangerous condition where the case can be extracted while still under partial chamber pressure. The case can have the base torn off,and the top cover blown off the rifle.
I've seen this several times.
About 10 years ago I had new Beryllium gas pistons and cups made and they sold out in one week.
Later on a fellow also made new Stainless Steel pistons and cups for these rifles and they too worked very well.
If your thinking about buying an SVT40 rifle you may want to see first hand the condition of these two parts. Firing the rifle beyond the setting of 1.3 is asking for trouble.
The barrel is very thin and the zero will wander when the barrel is hot. This was one of the "cons" with these rifles. Read up on the "full auto" version of this rifle and the rules of use.
As for accuracy, The rifle is OK, not great. I own a sniper version of the rifle and am not impressed with the rifles accuracy beyond 200 meters.
The rifle is pleasant to shoot,very loud and recoil is far less than a Mosin 91/30.
The rifle was designed to shoot the Russian Silver tip 150 grain steel cased ammunition. Stay away from the heavy yellow tip ammo, it is hard on the receiver.
It is a piece of Russian history, and fun to shoot.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

roverboy
United States of America

#5 Post by roverboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Very nice rifle.

S.B.
United States of America

#6 Post by S.B. » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks also, Rapidrob,I'll keep this in mind.
Steve

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#7 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 pm

I was fortunate enough to pick one up in the early 90's when they could be had relatively cheap. In fact, I think I bought it the same day I got my Russian SKS--I believe I paid less than 200 for each of them. It is fun to occasionally take to the range, as Rob recommends I use the 150 grain surplus ammo and the 1.2 gas setting. Mine tends to string shots vertically (probably from the barrel heating up as mentioned). It's definitely not for a shooter who doesn't enjoy thoroughly cleaning their rifles. I completely disassemble mine and flush the bore with hot soapy water. I have to be in the mood for it, as it is a bit of a project to give it the full attention it requires. I'm mechanically inclined, so learning the intracasies of the design appealed to me, but for others maybe it wouldn't be enjoyable. The gas system needs careful attention and has several small parts. When properly cleaned and tuned, it is very reliable and always draws attention at the range. It is easy enough to understand why there are plenty of photographs of German soldiers putting them to use. Here's mine with some of its comrades...
Attachments
DSCF1342.JPG

butcharoot
United States of America

#8 Post by butcharoot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks Rapidrob for the info about the gas setting and ammo info.

Miller Tyme
United States of America

#9 Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am

100_5069 (2).JPG
I have a sniper version that i bought to fill out my Russian sniper collection. They are by no means a super accurate rifle, as the Russians found out, early stocks where prone to wrist failures ( latter ones and many refurbs got AVT stocks)and are a PITA to clean but are a fun gun to shoot if the gas system is up to snuff.

Return to “Soviet-Russian Influenced Rifles”