http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:09 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I purchased this rifle not too long ago and was wondering what it was worth. It has matching #'s on all of the exposed metal (have not taken it apart) and what looks like a unit disk that reads L I.28 No 65a No 1096. Bluing is excellent with a few marks here and there. The stock looks like a walnut with normal handling marks. Bore looks bright and shiny.

I have been looking around at the auction sights and haven't seen any for sale with a unit disk. Would this increase or decrease the value?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:00 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Call me skeptical but the thing I always think of is , how can you be sure the barreled action belongs to the stock and or the disk.

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

That's True,

Maybe if I matched the stock #'s to the rest of the gun it would tell me if it's original? On second thought if the #'s did match, I would have to pull the disk and see how many holes were there to tell me what kind of disk was originally installed... I don't really want to sell it, or hurt anything trying to disassemble it, just kind of wondering how rare one of these unit disks are. I looked around this thread and didn't see very much information on them. I may have to purchase a book on these fine rifles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:43 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

good stuff here

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserswedish/index.asp

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:03 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Maybe just shy of $300?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:16 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

This is strictly my opinion. Others may grade their Swede differently (just like others may like blonds, brunettes and redheads more than browns....I can't see how, though!! :lol: ):

A unit disk does not really decrease or increase a Swede's value by itself. A collector will have a different grading system than a shooter, obviously. If we're talking strictly m/96's, there's a few other factors usually considered and weighed heavier. First being the date/place of manufacture, then rifle condition and, of course, the numbers game.

As singleshotcajun hit on, there's the question of authenticity. The stock can be matched to the receiver by checking the numbers in the barrel channel and handguard. That's a first step. But there are disks floating out there that some put on their bare stocks and also, there are unscrupulous individuals trying to scam.

You can widdle down the authenticity of a unit disk by research. A unit disk precariously placed on a beech stock belonging to a 1943 Husqvarna m/38 would sound alarms.

So, all that being said, I wouldn't pay extra just for a unit stock disk. It's a nicety and cool thing to have, but no other special value.

BTW, here's what the disk says:
Rifle number 1096
65th area of the 28th Infantry Regiment (Landstormen)

The soldier that carried the rifle with that unit disk (let's hope it was your rifle!! :lol: ) was part of the "Old Guard"...literally. Landstormen were older troops placed in special designated units mainly performing Army Area Defense. He was also one tough cookie. Freezing his cojones off up north in the Vasternorrlands Regement.

metzgeri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I just took it apart and the wood matches as does the barrel. For the life of me I cannot find any numbers on the cleaning rod. Where are they??? Everything came apart fairly easy (except the bands) and nothing was damaged. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but hopefully soon. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Auzzie:
I have a very similar rifle. It is also a 1906 Model 96 and has a great condition walnut stock and mint bore. My unit disk reads L 128 No. 68b and No. 141. Maybe they served in the same area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:35 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

auzzie101 wrote:
...For the life of me I cannot find any numbers on the cleaning rod. Where are they???...

Cleaning rod numbers are stamped around the head of the rod, just below the knurled knob. If you don't see one, that's just fine. I do believe all authentic rods will have a crown stamp, though. Rods were not numbered initially. An early m/96 with un-numbered cleaning rod is correct. I can't remember the date when they first started numbering them. :? '40's or '50's maybe??

Now, the ones that have been numbered seemed to have gotten all mixed up. From what I've read, rifles with matching cleaning rods are in the minority.

For one, they could have been mixed up in Sweden during maintenance or even unit rifle cleaning "parties". However, I have read that atleast some of the mismatch is due to our "brilliant" importers who, in their zealous haste to stamp the barrels with their import mark, removed all the cleaning rods at once, threw them in a pile and didn't bother to match them back up to rifle when reinstalled. :shock: :shock:

ksstargazer, sure that's not a "I28"?

metzgeri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Great info, now I can stop looking for the damn number. :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The first cleaning rod with matching numbers on a Swedish mauser was in 1905 , begining with serial number 167500 . Before that , they were unnumbered .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Metzgeri - Oops! Yes, it is an I.28