http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:02 am 

Last week in kdwright5407's post NEW TURK, we got a little off topic about Turkish cleaning rods.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=140341

So, I thought I would start a post to address the different cleaning rod tips.
When it comes to Turkish Mausers, you will find that there are many types of tips on the cleaning rods. Some are nice some crude and some are just ugly. Some are steel and some are made of brass.
Here aer some that are on few of my rifles.
Attachment:
TCR1.jpg
TCR1.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR2.jpg
TCR2.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR3.jpg
TCR3.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR4.jpg
TCR4.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR5.jpg
TCR5.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR6.jpg
TCR6.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR7.jpg
TCR7.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR8.jpg
TCR8.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Attachment:
TCR9.jpg
TCR9.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 5537 times ]

Post some pics of your cleaning rod tips

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:41 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

So here are some of mine . Most of my Turk Mausers have rods similar to my Turked 98/22 (First photo) but there is also this odd ball turked 98/22( second photo)

both of these 2 above photos are from examples of Turked Czech 98/22 mausers

My 1893 Turk Mauser has a brass tip.

Then I have an odd ball 1943 ASFA Turk Mauser in a Swedish Mauser stock with rack # 22???? , but all Turk hardware except the butt plate and cleaning rod. 3 lower photos:

My ATF 1954 rod tip is below

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:53 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Those bi metal cleaning rods are works of art in themselves, I'm trying to get a co worker into the world of milsurps and the old word quality that went into quite a few of them.I'm looking at an Argentine mauser as I type this (brass and steel cleaning rod as well) He's fairly new to guns,but now shoots in pistol matches and reloads.Its odd,but untill now I never gave the cleaning rods on my milsurps a second thought ( as long as they were there and correct)...... Rome wasn't built in a day....Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:25 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Here's one on a 43 K.Kale.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:52 pm 

Look close at this pic.
Attachment:
TCR2.jpg
TCR2.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 4825 times ]

It's the 2nd pic in my original post. This is a rod I made. I had my neighbor make the tip and I use some 1/4 brass stock for the rod.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:04 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:naughty: And here is a real Turk rod :lol: :lol: :lol: just like Candyman's , his is so good I thought it was real :doh: :doh: :shifty: :shhh:

out of a 1893 turk , a brass rod & brass tip and I also have a brass tip with a steel rod. Both Turkish. (Edit) I looked closer at this rod and it has a brass head, not steel. I pulled some off other 1893s and these are shown in the next post. These are steel heads on a brass rod. :violin:

Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

72 usmc wrote:
:naughty: And here is a real Turk rod :lol: :lol: :lol: just like Candyman's , his is so good I thought it was real :doh: :doh: :shifty: :shhh:

out of a 1893 turk , a brass rod & steel tip and I also have a brass tip with a steel rod. Both Turkish.

She's seen some use! perhaps this is why the blueing on most Turks are worn,but 99% have pretty good bores. This rod was used. For all we know,there is someone out there that should send this guy an Xmas card for keeping the bore of this rifle in pristine condition. I,d rather have a worn out cleaning rod than a worn out barrel. This is one to add to the "Turk cleaning rod stickie".....Larr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:02 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

All you people with those junk Turk Mausers! :think: :think: :think: :snooty: and no new cleaning rod photos to show there variations??? #-o #-o So I dug out just more rods from the old 1893 Turks with the sand flee wrtting on the side of the receivers...

Two more beat brass rods with steel heads; well used (anyone have a new condition, original brass rod):

Then two more steel rods and the heads vary in shape and design:

Any more photos of brass rods with brass heads, most of mine have steel heads?

Anyone got a photo of a cleaning rod with a brass head and steel rod different from Candymans :think: :think: :think: :think: Photos please :pray:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 pm 

I'll have to pull the 10 rifles out of my crate to see what cleaning rods they have.

Semper Fi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

This is my favorite surplus board. I mean, come on: as of today nearly a thousand reads on a thread about Turkish Mauser cleaning rods. Thanks folks, for rocking! Don't quit!

CDFingers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I guess I should add this and indicate most 98 style( fit the Turkish Model 1893 1903 and M38) Turk rods measure 27.5 inches give or take a quarter of an inch. Treads are not a normal metric die size: the pitch is different????? :confusion-shrug: :confusion-shrug: :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-confused: , so be sure the threaded end is good if you want it to screw into your Turk. Some Turk rifles have dirt in the rod nut and hole so you may have to make a smaller brass rod with a hammered flat tip that is smaller than the nut hole so you can use oil and a back & forth screw-driver motion to dig out and sort of screw out the dirt without messing up the rod nut threads, or pull the rod nut and clean out the rod chamber. It seems most Turkish Mausers at gun shows are missing the rod--- these are the ones that may have a ton of dirt/mud in the cleaning rod channel & rod nut. #-o :arrow: :idea: other ideas on dirt removal see http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ser-Rifles
:think: :think: :think: :snooty: :shifty: :shifty:

More info. on rods; see this old post: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... aning-rods
There are different models; a Turk Gew 88 is a different rod type. see
http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Bolt%20A ... AUSERS.htm
http://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx

These people (Libertytreecollectors and Apex) still sell Turk rods (Jan 2015):
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... roduct=104

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_in ... ts_id/2589

So back to more photos of Turk rods....... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:11 am 

Well, y'all will have to do with a group photo from the rifles on the rack.
Attachment:
014.JPG
014.JPG [ 1.94 MiB | Viewed 4473 times ]

That is until I can get into the green crate to pull some more rifles out.
Attachment:
013.JPG
013.JPG [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 4473 times ]

Semper Fi