http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I recently asked if anybody knew the caliber of my 1940 Turkish Mauser, I got a few resoponses telling me it was 8mm mauser, as I had suspected all along but wasn't sure. But I just took it apart and found 7.91 (.311) stamped in the barrel near the reciever, so whoever sporterized it must have changed the barrel because I also noticed the serial # on the barrel is different than the one on the reciever, my question is, are 7.91 rounds hard to find and or expensive......thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I think if you slugged it that was it's groove diameter and would still be around a .323 plus a thousandths or so for bore diameter.
IMHO it's an 8x57 Mauser which uses a .323 projectile. Seems like I've seen this before on a couple of Turks, some are stamped 7.92 some 7.91, it's more a rounding thing than a "different caliber".
I could be wrong but if it was mine I would load a 8mm Mauser round and let it rip.
Mike

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:58 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Fried spam is correct it should take standard 8x57.I have rifles marked 7.93 and 7.91 and they shoot regular 8mm without any problems.The only 8mm guns you need to watch the bore size with are the gew88 and some pre WW1 German sporters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:07 am 

Most of my Turks are marked 7.91 on the barrel.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 am 

That was the Turk's nomenclature for standard 8mm Mauser ammo. Just shoot standard milsurp or commercial 8mm Mauser, 8x57, or 7.92x57 ammo (three different ways to say the same thing.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the help guys, I just wanted to be sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:31 pm 

I just looked at the 3 extra Turk barrels that I have and two are marked 7.91 and one is not. You just never know what you will find on a Turk Mauser. :lol:

Anybody got some old Turk actions sitting around? :?:

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Mine is marked 7.91. Course that's factory new, I imagine the bores will erode with enough time and shots downrange.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:59 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have had Turkish Mausers marked from 7.89 to 7.93. The difference is only a few hundredths of a millimeter. Not much and it is pretty hard to get them all exact.

Joe