http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Does anyone know all the different manufacturers of the WWII bore cleaner that we commonly see on ebay.

The ones I have so far are: American Oil, Banner, and SC Johnson & Son. I still have to get a Boyle and Curran. Any other makers?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:42 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Popernack books and militaria has 2 oz bottles of the Curran Corp. Bore Cleaner for 8 dollars. I just saw it on their website. Hope that helps with your collection. www.popernack.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

There were six "mainstream" manufacturers of rifle bore cleaner during WWII: Curran Corporation (Malden, Mass.); American Oil & Supply (Newark, New Jersey); Banner Manufacturing (NYC, New York); A.S. Boyle (Jersey City, NJ); S.C. Johnson & Son (Racine, WI); and Fidelity Manufacturing (Allentown, PA). All six of these made the bore cleaner in the 6oz. size; three of the six also made the 2oz. size (Curran, S.C. Johnson & Fidelity) and at least Curran, S.C. Johnson & Banner also made the quart size.

Bore cleaner formulas varied by manufacturer. Curran, S.C. Johnson, A.S. Boyle and Banner's 1944 contract (quart can) all used the cresylic acid / kerosene mix, which is dark brown and smells terrible. Banner's 1943 contract (6oz can) is milky white in color. American Oil & Supply is amber colored, thicker, and smells a little like turpentine. Fidelity Manufacturing made the post-war style kerosene-based cleaner. Regardless of formula, all met the military SPEC. RIXS-205, which changed later in the War to SPEC. USA 2-117.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 am 

Wow! Talk about specialized knowledge! I'm impressed!! =D>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:58 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

AND it is his first post!

Welcome! :thumb:

Not remembering anything between the time of purchase till sitting at home with the weapon in hand,
a mad female,
and an influx of ammo purchases.