http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hey all, new guy here...

Just got my first 1917 from the CMP last week. I've verified that it's most, if not all, Eddystone components. It has a couple marks that I can't find answers for though.

First is what appears to be "1C" or maybe "IC" under the grip.

Second is "VFW 1942" hand carved into the side of the stock. I know a lot of these went to VFW groups after service, but I'm not sure when that happened. If 1942 is not the year, could it be the VFW post?

Lastly, there is a "1942" also stamped into the metal on the butt plate.

Is 1942 around the time of the Odgen reworks? FWIW, it has the OGEK (in box) stamp on the left side of the stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Neeglik on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:51 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Just out of curiosity, what is the bore wear between 1-2 or over 3. And does it headspace on a field reject gauge??????? I was looking at those $300 dogs, but read most have bad bores or do not headspace. http://www.thecmp.org/m1917.htm

The 1942 is VFW post number. I am not sure but you may be able to write to the VFW post and see if the have any records of that rifle. see
http://monroeamvets1942.org/
OEGK WW II and later rebuild stamp see page 110 in Ferris

Quote:
"1942" also stamped into the metal on the butt plate.

Also a post number for burial detail, shooter. My uncle use too shoot at vets burials before he died and his 1917 had similar markings in the early 1960s (Big Stamp on side ), they could take rifles home for funerals. They shoot blanks and he really never cleaned them so check for barrel pits. I use to look at it and want to shoot it when I was 15.
Get a copy of 2004 C.S. Ferris, United States Rifle Model of 1917
Some nice info on 1917
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:usi ... =firefox-a

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Don't have a field guage, but will check it when I can. It was originally tagged as a rack grade and I was told it was downgraded along with many others to move it out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rack grade equates to good head spacing, right? If it means anything a round loads and unloads with no problems. I haven't fired any off yet though.

I don't remember what it guaged at the store, but it was under 2. Just as good as the garand and carbines I brought home.

Bore is nice. No pitting that I can see.

Only other "issue" is the floorplate will disengage easier than it's supposed to. Can be pushed by hand and a couple of light drops of the butt on the carpet will send it flying. Catch looks ok to me, so it seems the catch spring is not holding it tight enough. I'm going to tear it down some more and see if the floorplate catch spring might be bogged down with cosmoline first, as I only worked on cleaning the bolt, barrel, and exterior so far. If needed, I'll order a replacement catch spring.

I feel like a got a real good deal for $300.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:48 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sounds good :thumb: , but I would get a field gauge and try it. See this post of another CMP goodie
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=73933
Midway = http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=556668
Any photos???

What is the end of the stock marked W, E, R ?

How is the bolt marked top & bottom?

Does it have an Eddy barrel marked E, below it an ordance bomb, below that a date like 4 - 18 ?

Here is a muzzle gauge that works great at gun shows. I love mine except I put it in a red tip cap from a bic pen so I do not forget it at a table and it gives it protection.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gauge-Muzzle-Wear-B ... dZViewItem

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

This is the only one I have right now. It was taken the day I brought them home. You can see the VFW 1942 there by the bolt.

All markings I've found have E. It appears to be all Eddystone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:08 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Yep, same place my uncles was stamped. I wish I had that old rifle. That a look at the muzzle gaugeI linked to you may like it. Must be nice to go to the CMP store and pick the best of the litter. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

So now you need a WW I Kerr sling to put on that rifle. Also on the carbines, the CMP rack grades are checked for headspace. So if the tag said rack grade you are a lucky man for $300 and a good bore. #-o #-o #-o Thou shall not steal?

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I'm wondering if I can refinish the stock and make the VFW stuff go away. If it was stamped it wouldn't be so bad, but mine looks to have been cut in with a knife.

Guages are high on my list of gun parts/tools to buy! Thanks for the links...

Any ideas on the "1C" stamp?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Keep it as is, a piece of history. [-( You will end up with one of each type of 1917 and one of each carbine type. \:D/ I see it now. PLEASE Do not destroy the stock. Just buy another Eddy as its mate.

1C maybe an inspectors stamp/number see page 105 Ferris, he lists 1M, 1W and C3, C7 and many others but no 1C .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:25 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

All E marked you lucky dog> #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :thumb:
Trust me you will love Ferris's book. better than sex.

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Ok ok. I'll have to rethink the refinishing issue... :lol:

The pic doesn't really do it justice. It is a VERY nice looking gun. That's actually how I got it. I was only at the CMP for the other guns. During the wait to pay the bill, I spotted this on the salvage rack and picked it up. I was surprised to see such a nice gun on the rack with the other beaters. Two nice gentleman offered some history and seemed very interested. They kept an eye on it and I was afraid to sit it down. I'm glad I didn't. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

BOOKS Carbines =D> =D> =D> You need War Baby by Ruth .
see Scott Duff http://www.scott-duff.com/Books.htm

Or get this when getting a forester gauge (FERRIS)
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store ... 0OF%201917

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Agreed. I've been doing a lot of googling and reading on the forums, but I do want to get some of the books. This is the second wave of my milsurp rifles. Need books for the first batch of guns I got too. I stagnated a bit and went back to tinkering with my AR15's for a while.

My milsurp collection is starting to look respectable...
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Mosin Nagant M44 (wife's)
No.4 Mk 1
No.1 Mk 3 (Dad's)
K98
CETME
AK47
Uzi

now adding the ones pictured above:
M1 Garand
M1 Carbines
Mossberg M44
and of course 1917 Eddystone

Now to get a 1903A3, Krag, SKS, Thompson and M1A.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I'll see if I can get some better pics up tonight or tomorrow, just to rub it in a little more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Ok, I stripped it down and have taken a better look at it. I'm currently following instructions from this board on how to clean and degrease the stocks.

Two things I saw. The underside of the top handguard has a "R" in it. The wood looks slightly off from the rest also. I guess it's a Remington piece. Also, Although the barrel markings have an E on top, I found an R on the left side of the barrel where the barrel meets the receiver. There are numerous other markings scattered around that area of the barrel and the receiver that I found once I removed the stock. I figure the barrel is still an Eddystone, but I'm wondering what that R is all about.

After cleaning the floorplate catch, it still does not seat well. I'm going to order replacement parts from springfield sporters. Also found that the front band screw appears to be stripped. I'll order an extra screw too.

I'm still very happy and the stock is cleaning up nicely. LOTS of cosmoline still to bleed out...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Well, darn. Got my Forster field gage today. Stripped the bolt of the firing pin and extractor and slipped in the gage. Well, it closes on the field gage easily. Looks like I have a non-shooter. Is there anything at all I can do for this rifle? I'm pretty down about it, and trying to figure out what I should do with this. I don't believe I want the gun if it's a non-shooter.