http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:07 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I received my K31 in the mail yesterday. It was manufactured in 1941. The rifling on the barrel and bore were in very good condition. I bought it from tradex in Montreal. A bit more costly than what you guys in the states are paying, price was 275.00 before taxes and shipping. This is my first post so I will attempt to put up some pics.

Overall very impressed with the quality of the rifle. I'm planning on refinishing the stock and touching up the bluing. Then, of course,I plan on shooting this exquisite rif
Attachment:
IMG-20120304-00359.jpg
IMG-20120304-00359.jpg [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 2051 times ]
le.

Attachments:
IMG-20120304-00372.jpg
IMG-20120304-00372.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 2050 times ]
IMG-20120304-00360.jpg
IMG-20120304-00360.jpg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 2050 times ]

Last edited by samsplacci on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:19 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Looks good. Bet that stock turns out to be just gorgeous when its cleaned up.

What's the going rate for for GP-11 in Canada?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:52 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Welcome to the forum. Voodoo is probably dead on with his stock prediction. looks like some nice tiger stripes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

In fact, currently the GP 11 ammo can also be purchased at Tradex for $359.00+tax for 480 rounds, shipping is included. I'm attaching a few more pics to give you an idea of the true colour of the wood. My question to Voodoo is where do you guys typically buy your ammo from? I am planning a road trip to the states and we are allowed to purchase ammo in the US to bring back to Canada, up to 5000 rounds, actually.

Attachments:
IMG-20120304-00362.jpg
IMG-20120304-00362.jpg [ 89.42 KiB | Viewed 2011 times ]
IMG-20120304-00382.jpg
IMG-20120304-00382.jpg [ 82.52 KiB | Viewed 2011 times ]
IMG-20120304-00376.jpg
IMG-20120304-00376.jpg [ 84.01 KiB | Viewed 2011 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:53 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Just bought a case of GP-11 from 'Dan's Sporting Goods' in PA. Price wasn't bad and shipping was better than anywhere else I could find. Ended up around $270 shipped. Seems all the big ammo retailers are way east of the Rockies, so shipping to Nevada gets pricey.

Almost bought another case, but am thinking about getting a nice K11 instead...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:34 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Many thanks Jim, good to know. Also a delayed thanks to Felix for the welcome!! I'm new to the whole realm of firearms, though a history buff, I believe it took me hardly any ime to recognize the beauty, historical value, simplicity....etc.... (and of course inexpensive) of collecting milsurps. I made the move to buy the K31 out of concern the supply would be drying up sooner than later. I know most ppl who've written posts suggest buying GP 11 to fire in the K31. I also noted that others have had success in loading their own using readily available reloading products. I think prvi partizan makes rounds that may be available locally. I will also ask around at my pistol club to see if I can source out some 7.5x55 swiss. Our range safety officer has been reloading various rounds for pistol and rifle for decades, so I will see if he may be able to load some. I also have a couple of vendors locally who may be able to procure some for me.

I can't believe the workmanship, the refreshing crispness and smoothness of the trigger and the simplicity yet elegance in design of this rifle. I now understand what some avid shooters have been saying that, of course, today we have very accurate rifles but for approx 200 - 300$ this rifle is an absolute ridiculous bargain. I also have an Simonov SKS mfg in 1954, which was in unissued condition. My Mosin, actually must have seen war-time action as it was mfg in 1942, though, as an arsenal refurb, the stock is in better condition than my K31. I only paid very little for my mosin, so I will be sporterizing it. There is no shortage of supply on Mosins quite yet.

My travels in May 2012 will take me to the West coast, I can hear the surf of SoCal calling me. We will be driving through. I may pick up something to add to my collection such as a bayonet for the K31 and a sling. ?? any idea what the grease is that came with my swiss 30 cal cleaning kit???

Marc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

That stock is already gorgeous. :thumb:

VZ24 Mauser
M57 Yugo Tok
CZ82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:18 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

@jimbo, thx

I do love that stock, it's just a bit beat up. I'm a history buff and not a collector, rather a milsurp enthusiast who prefers to shoot rather than fill a trophy case. A buddy of mine is much better at wood work than I and he's volunteered to breathe some new life into that stock. You can't see the major crush spots on the spine of the butt end of the stock. I figure the wood is walnut and I plan on staining it a bit darker.

cheers, Marc

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Please don't refinish that tiger stripe stock, just oil the heck out of it. Pics of the crush spot please. Where is this crushed section you speek of, I'd like to see better pics of it.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:22 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

@wkato, I will post some pics as soon as I can. I will have my buddy take some photos of the spine of the butt stock and advise.

many thanks, Marc

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

wkato wrote:
Please don't refinish that tiger stripe stock, just oil the heck out of it. Pics of the crush spot please. Where is this crushed section you speek of, I'd like to see better pics of it.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to do anything....That stock is kind of special. You don't see one like that every day. I believe everyone should feel free to do what they wish with their guns, but if that beauty was mine, I'd have to sit tight for a while. You can always refinish later, but you cant "un refinish" later. What ever you chose that is a pretty rifle. I'd sure like to have one like it in my safe. :thumb:
Jim

VZ24 Mauser
M57 Yugo Tok
CZ82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Here are some better pics of the crushed spots. I'm open to any recommendations !

Attachments:
K31%20stock%204.jpg
K31%20stock%204.jpg [ 31.19 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]
K31%20stock%203.jpg
K31%20stock%203.jpg [ 26.5 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]
K31%20stock%201.jpg
K31%20stock%201.jpg [ 32.06 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:17 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Marc,

I'm not personally a big fan of any drastic refinishing of milsurp stocks. Usually an oil scrub and several coats of BLO (or shellac if that was the original finish) is as far as I go unless something's cracked or has been poly'ed to death.

But in this case, as pretty as that wood is and as badly as its been dinged up, I'd say go ahead do whatever steaming/light sanding needs to be done to get it back in decent shape. That's rough enough that it'd bug the crap out of me every time I pulled it out of the safe.

Originality is one thing, beat to **** is another.

Last edited by 101VooDoo on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:43 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

[quote="samsplacci"]Many thanks Jim, good to know. Also a delayed thanks to Felix for the welcome!! I'm new to the whole realm of firearms, though a history buff, I believe it took me hardly any ime to recognize the beauty, historical value, simplicity....etc.... (and of course inexpensive) of collecting milsurps. I made the move to buy the K31 out of concern the supply would be drying up sooner than later. I know most ppl who've written posts suggest buying GP 11 to fire in the K31. I also noted that others have had success in loading their own using readily available reloading products. I think prvi partizan makes rounds that may be available locally. I will also ask around at my pistol club to see if I can source out some 7.5x55 swiss. Our range safety officer has been reloading various rounds for pistol and rifle for decades, so I will see if he may be able to load some. I also have a couple of vendors locally who may be able to procure some for me.

I've found the PRVI ammo to be almost as accurate in my rifles as GP11 and it's reloadable, the GP11 is not readily reloadable. The price is not much higher for the PRVI. The round is a pleasure to load for, easy to get top accuracy once you figure out the proper seating depth. Common .308 bullets in the 150-168 gr range are best. Most any powder suitable for the .308 win or 30-06 is also good for the swiss. I have used IMR 4320 and Viht. N140 with great success. I know you'll enjoy that rifle. Wish I could find one with that nice of grain in the stock.

Attn Big Bro... I consider any "private message" exchanged on this or other forums or email to be a private paper protected by the first and fourth ammendment in the same manner as sealed US Mail or Land Line telephone call.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:59 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Stock looked a heck of a lot better in the original pics, now I've seen it up close the comb and the right side look to have taken a licking and kept on ticking. :wink: Ask your friend to avoid as much sanding as possible, keep the sharp edges sharp (ie...finger grooves etc), save the Swiss shield on right side of butt stock. Raw Linseed Oil was the original finish, some have been coated with and Amber Shellac during arsenal refurbs.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory."