http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:05 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

First post here need some help. I received a Mitchell Mauser M48 as a gift. I know they are not the most popular among Milsurp collectors and accumulators. I would never buy it for myself but it is a rather nice rifle. Anyways I cleaned the rifle up and I am impressed with it overall very nice smooth action and a surprisingly good trigger.

The only problem is the rear sight if want to call it a sight. I wear glasses and I cannot even guess where the notch in the rear sight is. No problem I ordered a mojo sight like I have on my Mosin. I tried to install the sight. I have done a lot of gun work figured this would be easy. I go to drive the pin out the original sight. Well after about three days of attempts and lots of oil the pin finally moved. But as soon as the pin was flush with the sightleaf it would go no further. After a week of trying everything I can think of the pin ain't moving and I gone through a rather large number of punches. So drastic measures need to be taken. Figure I will drill out the pin if I can if not it is off to the gunsmith to drill the pin or mill the pin flush with the sight leaf..

Before I go that route I want to be sure I can return the rifle to original if I ever choose to. I have been searching for an original new condition sight leaf and pin. After a week of searching I have come up empty. Any advice as to where I could purchase one? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

A pic of the sight and what you are doing would help greatly. And MM are beautiful rifles just not original!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:13 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I am trying to remove the original sight. The sight has a cross pin which prevents the sight from be pushed down and slide out. The cross pin is stuck. Before I take extreme measures I would like to have a new sight in hand. I want the option to return the rifle to it's original condition in the future. If I damage the current sight to get the cross pin out I don't have that option.

I am replacing the sight with a MOJO sight. So I have the sight to use on the rifle just want to be sure to have a sight to return the gun to original in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:15 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

mike7mm08 wrote:
I am trying to remove the original sight. The sight has a cross pin which prevents the sight from be pushed down and slide out. The cross pin is stuck. Before I take extreme measures I would like to have a new sight in hand. I want the option to return the rifle to it's original condition in the future. If I damage the current sight to get the cross pin out I don't have that option.

I am replacing the sight with a MOJO sight. So I have the sight to use on the rifle just want to be sure to have a sight to return the gun to original in the future.

Soak the area around the pin with penetrating oil. Several light taps with a punch and hammer well help the penetrating oil do it's job. heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer, then the correct size punch and a 12-16oz ball peen hammer, one good whack should break it free.

Check out the Mojo front sight, I added this to my m48a that I shot comps with. Really like the sight picture with this double aperture setup.

If you come here often please donate to keep this place alive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:28 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have been trying the oil and heat. I finally got things to move a little bit only took about five hours over a couple weeks. The pin is now recessed into the sight leaf enough that the punch is no longer walking around as I hit it. I think I will now be able to get the pin out without damaging the sight. The pin is stuck again so it is being soaked with oil. I need to get some more punches. I have already broke five. Another two or three and I should have the pin out. I tried the mojo front sight on my Mosin and could not get used to the sight picture. It is a great concept but just does not work for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

If you want I have a k98 sight leaf and spring set I can mail out to you. I am pretty sure the German k98 will fit Yugo ones. It wont be original but it should fit. The pin you can get at Ace Hardware or similar store.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:47 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks I will let you know if I need it. I am getting more punches tomorrow hopefully I will not do any damage to the existing sight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Just PM if you do since I check those and might forget about this thread.

As a note, remember the pin is smaller than the hole in the sight base. I also found that the wrong way once and smashed the sight leaf ears pretty good. Here is a pic, hopefully the author on another forum doesn't mind.

Pic by Doctor Bill on other forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Well I only broke one more punch after getting it stuck in the sight. I broke the pin off trying to pound it back to get the broke punch out. Fortunately the pin broke off flush with the sight and the broke punch popped out. So I was able to get the sight out and the MOJO sight installed. I did not damage the original sight. It is usable as is but I will still try to drill the pin out at some point. Much easier to get the sight leaf lined up on the drill press opposed the barreled action.

I have never had a pin give me so much trouble on anything. Thinking the hole was drilled funky or a burr is in the pin hole. Whatever the problem was don't matter now. I have a sight I can see and the original is still intact. Thanks for all the advice. Now to get some ammo loaded up. Got some ballistic tips and varget to dispose of.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Just wanted to say that I have had similar problems with the rear sight pin on M48's and 24/47's in the past. They sometimes get so seized in there that it requires a giant hammer and curse words that are not suitable to repeat in any company. Glad to hear you were at least able to break things to the point of being able to remove the sight leaf. Now, enjoy that 24/47.