http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I picked up what I think is a serbian 1924 rifle at a gun show - but, the bolt won't come close to closing on a 8x57 GO gage, and a round of 8x57 lacks about a quarter inch of going in the chamber. When I dropped the round in the muzzle, quite a bit of the bullet was left out (this with a worn bore, even).

7x57? Is that right for a serb 1924? It appears to be original, and has letters on the receiver that appear to by cyrillic, or something similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

A Serbian/Yugo M24 should be 8mm mauser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Yep the M24, M24/47 and M48 were all chambered in 8mm Mauser.

Phillip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:56 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

OK.... so what did I buy, exactly? Just stuck the calipers in the bore at the muzzle, it definitely measures 0.280-something, it's not an 8mm by any stretch of the imagination.

Barrel is about half an inch longer than an M48A that I've got. Bent bolt, cutout on stock for the bolt handle like a K98. Bolt is bent like an M48/M48A, but not quite exactly the same.....

Ideas?Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:02 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Left side of receiver - also, the underside of the bolt knob is flattened, like the M48/48A - but it's checkered on the flat part.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:28 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Well, it's not an M24 since the barrel's longer than the M48. I believe that the M24 and M48 have barrels that are the same length. The M24s also have straight bolt handles (although some have been seen with M48 bolts) and there's no cutout on the stock for the bolt handle knob, as on the K98k.

However, the writing on the receiver is definitely cyrillic, which means that the rifle was in the possession of a Slavic country.

EDIT: After a little searching I found this tidbit of information:

Quote:
The M24b is a Yugoslav military designation which indicates that the rifle itself was originally a Chilean, Colombian or Mexican Model 1912 long or short rifle made by Oesterreichissche Waffenfabrik Geselschaft (OEWG) of Steyr, Austria. It therefore is a true, standard length Model 1898 Mauser action originally made in 7x57 m/m Mauser. In it's rebirth as a Yugoslav Army short rifle, it was stripped down to its receiver and rebuilt as a 7.92 m/m rifle using the same sight and bayonet mounting systems as on the FN-designed M1924 short rifle.

http://members.aol.com/YugoRifle/History/boelmod.htm

Although the receiver ring on your rifle doesn't bear the cyrillic character for "B" to the right of the "1924," it does have all the other characteristics, including the pre-Communist Yugoslavian crest. And apparently yours was never converted to 8mm Mauser, nor was it fitted with a Yugo-made stock or shorter barrel.

Phillip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:59 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hey thanks a bunch! Never know what you'll find.... now I just have to find a 'real' m1924 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:38 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Hey Mike - looks like you got a partially converted Mexican 1924. The Yugos got them from the Austro-Hungarian empire after the great war from what I read.