Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Whitneyville Walker

apachedawg
United States of America

Whitneyville Walker

#1 Post by apachedawg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 am

I have a Whitneyvill Walker Colt Dragoon reproduction. When I bought it the feed pawl spring was broken. I picked up a new pawl and spring from Dixie Gun Works and fit it to the gun. My issue is that when you pull the hammer back the cylinder spins a little too far. You can spin it back and the cylinder lock engages. When you pull the trigger the cylinder moves just a little causing the hammer to hit the left side of the nipple cut which moves the cylinder back in place. I have not fired it this way. Any advice. I'm thinking it's the spring on the cylinder lock but it looks good to me.

INGarand
United States of America

Re: Whitneyville Walker

#2 Post by INGarand » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 pm

It seems that from your description, the new pawl might be too long. Have you compared it to the old one? If you turn the cylinder by hand does the cylinder lock engage? If so it a problem with the Pawl. Hope you find out the problem, Walkers are a blast to shoot(pun intended).

M14man
United States of America

Re: Whitneyville Walker

#3 Post by M14man » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 pm

You may have to shorten the "hand" which is the pawl.
There is also a method to make the cylinder lock drop sooner so the cylinder does not spin too far.
Right now I forget what that method to time is.

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Pistols”