http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:28 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I thought the Golani was a very cool rifle until I shot it first time. The cover flew off of the receiver. After fitting and working with it for a while, I have that issue resolved. (Just really poor fit.)
Then, when I took it to the range, it was the worst experience in recent memory.
1. The rear sight has two positions, and both settings are sloppy as can be. The peep sight just flops around, so aiming is hit and miss. I never found the target at 100 yds.
2. I had jams about 30 times out of 60 rounds. When the shell casing comes out of the receiver, it just hops out about a foot or two. But at least 1/2 the time, the empty jams between bolt and receiver, mangling it. I lubed, wiped, and checked the mags several times, but could not identify any issue that would be causing this.
I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP WITH THIS ISSUE! ANYONE ELSE HAD THESE ISSUES WITH THEIR GALIL OR GOLANI?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:56 pm 

Low gas pressure,worn parts or the ejector is cut too small will cause what you mention. The rear sight spring is either missing or broken.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Not too good for a "new" rifle, huh?
Assembled by CAI on a new receiver, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Century got their mitts on it and gave it their special treatment. What else is new? Why anyone would buy something that CAI has "worked" on (not talking about just imported) without seeing if it works first is beyond me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I have had a horrible experience with a C93 (Century built 223 HK33) and it took a new barrel, front sight post (they welded it on) and to get the welds redone, plus a refinish to get it to fire right. I couldnt return it to Century because of the bullet button being installed for california which in Century's opinion voided the warranty.

I would contact Century right away, and send this back to them as it should be under warranty (if you are the original buyer) and get this rifle repaired by them. By what I have heard they dont really repair them, but just send you another one that does function most of the time.

Also (be sitting down reading this) Century warranties only last one year from the date of manufacture, not sale. So if your shop had it sitting in the back for 11 months and sold it to you, then you only have 1 month left to be able to inact a warranty claim! Are you kidding?

Sorry man, but after that I will not buy anything made by century anymore. If its a bulgarian makarov and they only put an importer mark on it thats one thing, but I dont care if its an M1a for $500 dollars...I wont be buying it. They ground my barrel on a belt sander to be able to tap it in with a hammer. Removing the barrel pin would allow me to rotate the barrel in the trunnion. Bolt gap was at 0.01 (supposed to be around 0.13-0.15 for function). My old barrel could not be reused because of the ovalized hole for the barrel pin. It looked great, but either wouldnt cycle or would rip up the brass. I ended up sending mine to a shop that works only on HK products, and after a lot of calls and laughs they fixed it for me and function tested it with 120 rounds just to prove it, and I have been happy ever since. Ha ha, I forgot that they even corrected the shape of my receiver to get it more true to shape.
My century C93 cost me:
Rifle $599.00
Dros $25.00
Tax $58.40
New Barrel $150.00
New Front Sight $35.00
Installation, headspace, welds, small parts $200.00
Refinish in HK Gloss black $100
Total $1167.40 :oops:
Good luck with yours, I feel for you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:00 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

As mentioned earlier send the rifle back to cai if you can and moan and bug them until it is fixed right or maybe get a refund or credit from the seller.
My century assembled cetme purchased many years ago was an education for me.
It made me learn the wesog school of gunsmithing: weld, solder or grind. Good Luck! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:23 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

49north wrote:
As mentioned earlier send the rifle back to cai if you can and moan and bug them until it is fixed right or maybe get a refund or credit from the seller.
My century assembled cetme purchased many years ago was an education for me.
It made me learn the wesog school of gunsmithing: weld, solder or grind. Good Luck! :)

No WECSOG points will be awarded unless blood was drawn during the process. Alcohol consumption is mandatory. :mrgreen:

My cousin had both a WASR and CETME from these monkeys. Gigantic steaming bags of crap is what they were.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Well if you end up getting the run around from Century you may have to just take it to someone who works on them and have them go through it. Try century before you try anyone else, since century thinks that if a shop installed a bullet button it voids the warranty. Maybe disassembly will void it to...ha ha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

My father bought a Galil when they first hit the market from CIA. First time at the range, 90% of the rounds smoke stacked and/or jammed using GI ammo. The feed ramp was installed way to low on all the galils I’ve looked at. CIA had a recall on some of the early ones via shotgun news a few years back with floating firing pin problems if I recall correctly. Many hours tinkering and polishing, we finally have it where the gun will shoot reliably and accurately. And your cover problem we had the same issue.

Honest opinion, CIA dumped these rifles on the market without doing their homework.

What was done:
1. took a chamber brush with polishing compound and polished the chamber
2. the feed ramp was taken back some (was sticking way to far out that actually prevented the mag from catching correctly)
3. polished the feed ramp making sure any and all burs were gone
4. took some material off the cover to make a secure safe fit

Here is the article from Shotgun News

Golani Recall:
Century International Arms has issued a recall notice for certain Galil and/or Golani Semi-Auto Sporter rifles that have serial numbers between GAL00001 and GAL02393. The owners of such rifles carrying those serial numbers are asked to return their firearm to Century Arms to have a modified bolt, new firing pin and firing pin spring installed to ensure that the Golani offers the utmost safety and reliability.
All Galil and/or Golani rifles that have the letter "F" or "X" on the bottom of the reciever front cut off have already been upgraded and these rifles do not need to be sent in. Dealers are requested to provide Century Arms with names, addresses and contact information of the purchasers of affected Galil/Golani rifles. Century will contact them directly.
To obtain a return authorization, call Century Arms at 1-800-270-2767.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

One more thing some of the mags do make a difference between running properly and jamming.

CIA hard at work

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:54 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

One mag holds 30 rounds, and the other takes 35 to fill it up. They look the same.
This one has the F on the bottom of the receiver.

I have done a chamber scrub, but perhaps not as vigorously as my be needed.

With my Garands it was grease, grease, grease, until they had a few dozen rounds through them. But with a Galil, it's adjust, scrub, polish, grind, grease, and test fire again!! And I'm reluctant to test the cheap ammo.

Maybe this is simply a $700 reminder that CIA isn't trustworthy and should be avoided.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:18 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Try 30 a round tapco mag first. Sometimes these will feed better than originals in galil mags in a golani.

On my golani I had to install a new extractor and spring. I also jacked up my feedramp .20. It now feeds and extracts flawlessly with any ammo steel or brass. When I got it though, is was a jamomatic and smashed the bullets into the cases and did not extract well at all. You can raise the ramp/bullet guide yourself if you are handy without removing the barrel.

Here's the fix:

Just drill out the ramp's rivet. It's soft metal so your drill will cut right through it. You still won't be able to remove the ramp cause the barrel will be in the way. But you can slide a shim under the ramp, try a .20 shim (worked in mine). I used a brass shim, but you could make one from most any thin metal, even a soda can by stacking them if need be. Cut the shim to size (it's thin enough to use scissors btw) and make a corresponding hole or better yet a slot where your rivet was. Slide it under the ramp from the mag well side. It may take some trail and error it get the right fit.

Now go to the hardware store and get some small allen or torx head screws and nuts -the kind with a flat head and beveled shoulder to fit where your rivet was into the ramp's hole, as it must fit flush on your ramp. You may have to do a small amount of dremeling if the screw's head sticks up btw.

Doing it this way with a screw you can take it back apart if need be and try different shims. If you go too thick it may interfere with your bolt closing, if so pull a thinner shim in. This will get the ramp up as high as possible which is what you want (at least in my case).

After you get it feeding properly with ramp now at the right height, if desired you can now replace the screw and nut with a rivet like it had originally.

I should note some guys have accomplished the same by welding material to the end of the ramp/bullet guide.

Like I said though, try a tapco mag first as they tend to sit up a bit higher and may feed better saving you this work.

Worked for me...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

A 30-round Tapco with only 15 rounds in it works well!
Failures with the two original 12-round mags (steel), two 35-round steel mags (original Galil), and with FULL Tapco mags. But 1/2 full Tapco works, for @#$% sake.

I never tried the mechanical corrections, since I tend to over-do the grinding and "adjustment" jobs on my weapons. Not my forte, really.

It's actually pretty nice to finally shoot it without jamming. =D>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

With these Golanis, how much of it is Israeli parts and how much of it is American parts? What parts does Century supplY? I have heard that these were made out of Israeli Galil spare parts kits? Or maybe de-miled rifles? Are the barrels made in USA?

Why didn't these things work out? I have seen one of these in the consignment rack of my local gun shop for months and it has not sold.

What other rifles has Century screwed up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:55 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

If you want ALL the low-down, Google "Golani feed ramp" and you'll be able to read a few horror stories. Basically, the Century-built receivers are questionable as being in spec. Many of the rifles jam the round directly into the barrel butt, just below the chamber. Magazine selection, and feed ramp (what there is of it) isn't beveled well enough.

The other main complaint (I share it) is that the rear flip sight doesn't have any mechanism to hold it still, so it flops forward and back a couple mm. This affects accuracy, of course.