http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hey guys,

I got an email recently about the controversy surrounding surplus M14's being destroyed instead of sold to civilians. Thre was a petition going around to try and stop this and get them offered to the public through the CMP (Civillian Marksmanship Progam)...for sale of course. The CMP, as many of you already know, were the main source of civilian purchased M1 Garands over the past 10-15 years or so. I dealt with CMP a little this year as I bought ammo from them for our Scout Reservation, but haven't heard anything about this.

I would LOVE to have an M14, even though they would probably still be out of my price range with CMP. I never checked out the email through snopes to verify that it was legit (most petitions are not), However, I am still curuios to know if there might be hope on the horizon.

Wondering if any of you might know more about this.

Demps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:37 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Totally false, will never happen. They are considered machine guns. You can't even piece together cut halves of military M14 receivers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:10 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Orest (the Chief Operating Officer) from CMP has previously addressed the issue of M14's: yes, they have a number of them- no, they will never be for sale to the public. They cannot be modified to be semiauto and still comply with Federal regs and the ATF. As M14man said, they are considered machine guns and always will be :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

This comes up every now and then, some rumors never die. At on time there was a glimmer of hope, but no longer. In FY64, TRW manufactured about 5000 new National Match rifles from scratch; the number is slightly less, but it escapes me for the moment. These rifles never got the full auto capability. All other NM M14's were built on standard receivers from regular service rifle production. I was issued one of these TRW's as a civilian member of the 1973 Massachusetts rifle team. I'm the guy with the beard.

I went back on active duty in 1974. In 1992-93, I was the Navy member of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice. At the 1992 (or 93?) meeting the DCM announced that he had an "aggreement in principle" with BATF to sell those TRW National Match rifles to qualified civilians for use in marksmanship competition. The agreement was very short-lived. We all know who got elected in 1992. End of story. Ain't ever gonna happen, even if those TRW rifles are still in existance, which is doubtful.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

It's REAL, it's wood and steel!

Three shots isn't a "group". At best, it's a fortuitous accident.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Not gonna happen....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I wonder if they could sell M14 "parts kits", I would think they could turn a good profit this way, and there wouldn't be the liability of selling a complete firearm. This also wouldn't be subject to the same restrictions as imported parts kits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Rule303 wrote:
I wonder if they could sell M14 "parts kits", I would think they could turn a good profit this way, and there wouldn't be the liability of selling a complete firearm. This also wouldn't be subject to the same restrictions as imported parts kits.

That makes sence to me, I have seen advertisements for new manufactured recivers.

Somebody holds the key.
But Im near the end and I just aint got the time
And Im wasted and I can't find my way home

~Blind Faith 1969~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Is there any reason why the CMP couldn't swap out the receivers with civilian-legal semi-automatic ones and sell these their M14s to the public?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:07 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Magus wrote:
Is there any reason why the CMP couldn't swap out the receivers with civilian-legal semi-automatic ones and sell these their M14s to the public?

Yes, it is called the current administration.

Combat Veteran, 122nd Combat Engineer Bn, SC National Guard, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Operation Iraqi Freedom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

word was in s , back in the '90's clinton dumped 7o,ooo M14's on one of the baltic countries. Laviva , or Estonia.. i forget which one. a guy on jouster posted the links showing the paperwork.
ccap'n crunch had been stopped by the republicans takeover and clinton wanted the M14's out of the country one way otr another, so he GAVE them the rifles. word was they really didn't want them. they wanted m16's...
it's a shame about the 'once a machine gun rule'. the govt. could have made 1,5oo bicks apiece minimum on those M14's with 10 minutes work with a dremel...
heck, they ould have gotten 1,000 bucks for each 'kit' minus reciever... that's $70,000,ooo.... plus shipping..

edited because i left out a zero in' 1,000 bucks'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Magus wrote:

You would have an M1A, perhaps with a higher percentage of GI parts than usual. Why not just buy an M1A?

Resp'y,
Bob S.

It's REAL, it's wood and steel!

Three shots isn't a "group". At best, it's a fortuitous accident.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:21 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Bob S wrote:
Magus wrote:

You would have an M1A, perhaps with a higher percentage of GI parts than usual. Why not just buy an M1A?

Resp'y,
Bob S.

My thoughts exactly.

"These are my credentials!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Bob S wrote:

That's why.

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
it's a shame about the 'once a machine gun rule'. the govt. could have made 1,5oo bicks apiece minimum on those M14's with 10 minutes work with a dremel...

If only Congress and/or the courts would take away the ATF's blatantly unconstitutional "authority" to create laws by fiat, then that stupid rule could vanish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

CMP did sell M14 parts a few years ago.
All surplus parts would be going to the to the troops in the sandbox not civilian hands
That interent petetion is the same one that has been circulating for years

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Interesting comment about peicing 2 cut demilled receivers back together, which ATF claims is manfacturing a machine gun class 3 etc. Seems they have forgotton their own rules regulations and descriptions!! A Demill is a gun that has been demilitarized or destroyed by the receiver being cut or crushed in other words it is NO Longer legally considered a gun! So how does constructing something from a NON gun amount to a violation, unless it is manfactured to allow select or full auto fire?? If challenged in court this would NEVER stand up, it violates their own prior rulings and law!