http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:39 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I just got a Bulgarian made AK 47,I really do not like the slant break.I like the brake on my AMD 65 but I have been told the AK 74 style is better for recoil.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:37 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

The real 24mm AK74 brake is reputed to very effective. The 14mm replicas are not. My informal experiment showed the Tapco slot brake to be effective for the price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:13 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I think I will get the slot brake my AMD 65 does not seem to kick as bad as my Bulgarian Ak 47.The funny thing is that the Bulgarian made AK was Cheaper than the Century AK Wasr. :think:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:30 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Doubly odd if, like my SSR-85c, your Bulgarian is built on a 1.5mm receiver with a slightly heavier barrel profile. One would think the added weight would mitigate recoil somewhat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Get a Tapco slot break.

It's inexpensive and looks good and it works.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:39 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It might be the vertical hand grip has some thing to do with the recoil on the AMD 65,my 14 year old daughter loves shooting the AMD 65.I am going to order the Tapco brake.Thanks for all the info.was $460 a good price for a Bulgarian AK with a synthetic stock?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

hippycrowe wrote:
It might be the vertical hand grip has some thing to do with the recoil on the AMD 65,my 14 year old daughter loves shooting the AMD 65.I am going to order the Tapco brake.Thanks for all the info.was $460 a good price for a Bulgarian AK with a synthetic stock?

As far as I know that is a pretty good price.

I don't think you stole it, but neither did you take a bath. It's about right.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:04 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I agree. Kit builds may be going for even more these days if that's what it is.

I think I paid about $360 for my SSR. Add the parts and labor I put in to make it full-capacity, and it would be about the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

What recoil?
A AK has muzzle climb, but no real felt recoil to speak of, that is why children love shooting them
How are you holding it on your shoulder? In the pocket, or on the collar bone like a AR shooters?

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 pm 

The brake made at the end of the AKM-47 line and is now used on the AK-74 is the best I've seen. Having a "few" AK's this brake will stop over 95% of the felt recoil when placed on the '74 and over 50% on the '47.
You can spend a small fortune on one of the USA made wizz-Bang brakes, but the Russian designed brake is still the best.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Rapidrob wrote:
The brake made at the end of the AKM-47 line and is now used on the AK-74 is the best I've seen. Having a "few" AK's this brake will stop over 95% of the felt recoil when placed on the '74 and over 50% on the '47.
You can spend a small fortune on one of the USA made wizz-Bang brakes, but the Russian designed brake is still the best.

I have this one on the M70AB, and it works great. On my M72 I have Hungarian AMD brake, and on M70 I have the Dragunov brake. They all work great. I used the AMD brake in Bosnia on the M72 in FA, and it was amazing. I don't understand the complaints about the recoil,....there is hardly any, if the rifle is held correctly. But then again, I don't get it how some people in the US (and elsewhere in the world), that have not been trained on AKs, use the rifle to begin with. So many people (even "knowledgeable" military types), hold the rifle by the pistol grip (right hand shooters), reach over with the left and rake the bolt! Some even complain that it's an "awkward" design.

AK style weapons, are NOT machineguns. They are RIFLES, and are made to balance right in front of the magazine, and to be carried in combat by holding the rifle in the LEFT hand, by the forearm (or slightly behind, with the muzzle pointed to the ground, and left hand pinky finger resting against the magazine). From that position, the rifle is brought forward (muzzle up), right hand thumb sellects the fire mode, and the bolt is raked with the same right hand thumb, before the hand is placed on the pistol grip. If the bolt is operated in the prone position, the right hand index finger is used for that WITHOUT taking the rifle off the shoulder. Once the shooting is done, the rifle is picked up with the LEFT hand, and the right index finger places the weapon on safety.

It makes me sick when I see people shooting the AK by holding the magazine in their weak hand also. They tweak the mag, and then complain that the rifle is "jamming". Go figure.
I understand that many on these shores didn't have the chance to be properly trained on these weapons systems, but if you want to use the rifle right, do yourself a favor and Google "AK drills". There is a video on Youtube in which a Russian Sergeant demonstrates how the AK is supposed to be used, held and shot. If the weapon is used the way it was intended, there is NO recoil to complain about, and no mulfunctions,....and it's definitely NOT awkward to use.

When I arrived in the States, I combed EVERYTHING ever written on the M16 weapons systems, in order to use them properly, so I don't see why some over here think they know how to use the AK. Nobody is born with the knowledge, and in my case military academy made damn sure I know how to use any weapon they had at that time.

The brakes I have on mine, are just for the looks, to make them look the way mine looked back in Bosnia. On SA AKs, there is no need for a brake (of course my collection in the States is all SA). On FA one would need it only in the "off hand shooting" situation (as opposed to from the rest), and the M72 does not need it if it's used in the SAW role (off the bipod). I used it MANY times in off hand situation, and the AMD brake did not allow the weapon to climb.
That's about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:53 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ok as I have said before I havent found a AK that needed a brake to control "recoil" anywhere in the world yet.
But.....

The AMD 65 has even less emaginary recoil then the other AK's because it has a MASSIVE muzzle brake on the front that came off a field artillery gun.

Change that out, and that light weight AMD may just start hopping all over the place.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 am 

The only reason I even put a brake on an AK is to keep the barrel legal, or,since I'm left handed, stop the rifle from twisting away from my face in rapid fire if the "normal" flash hider is used.
On the skeleton folding stocks, the muzzle brake really shows how well it works. On some rifles the muzzle blast going through the '74 type or the AMD rifle/carbine brake will actually pull the rifle forward!
I have an electronic force meter that may be able to measure the true recoiling forces. I may be able to do a test of the brakes I have now to see how well/not they work.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hey!

I use the PWS FSC47 for my AK and I'm happy with the resaults. I think I payed something around 100€ for it some time ago.

We, my friends and I, made the "before, after" for this muzzle break and you can see the difference. I was trying to hold the gun with same force on both and I think I was successful.

edited by Burner

What do you think?