http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:42 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Awhile ago I purchased a GP WASR-10 AK-47 and I noticed afterwards that the bayonet lug was ground on the sides (not all WASR's have the lug ground down). I was wondering if anyone has tried to rebuild the lug with any success or if anyone has any ideas how to. I thought about having it welded up and the grinding it to shape but I'm not sure if the excessive heat will warp the barrel. I have the matching Romanian bayonet and would like to be able to attach it. Any advice will be appreciated!

Last edited by Dubord77 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:11 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

It was ground off for 922r compliance issues. Too many evil parts.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

ya will have to bring the entire rifle into 922R compliance and then ya can remove the front sight block then the gas block and press on a new gas block then replace the front sight block....... if ya have a smith do everything ya will have enough $$ into the finished gun that ya coulda bought a milspec Rommy G or Yugo, replacing the gas block will run ya around $100 the 922R parts will run ya around $60 shipping each way around $32........

Ya can do it yourself and will spend about $25 for the gas block and $60 for a 922R compliance package if ya got patience as the gas block pins can be a real PITA to get out and a few basic tools..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I thought that all Wasr's were 922r compliant since some of them have the bayo lug intact and I seen a hicap with m4 stock and bayo lug at a discount sporting goods store. Thanks for the tips also, somebody mentioned to me something about reshaping the lug with JB weld. Would that even hold up?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

nope the way Century gets em to be legal with a highcap mag with the bare min of compliance parts is that some don't get all the evil features like no threaded barrel and no bayo lug by deleting these two items Century doesn't have to add other 922R parts to make up for em...... 922R comes into play if ya have 3 or more features with your WASR it only has 2 the pistol grip and the HICAP mag so it squeaks by

An no I wouldn't count on JB Weld holding up very well and regardless ya would still have to go 922R as even if its a bayo lug that will snap off its still a bayo lug and puts ya into the 3 features or more

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Dstorm1911, I'm afraid you've not looked too closely at the WASR. They come with crappy Century made trigger, hammer and disconnector. Also a Century made gas piston and pistol grip are present. Supposedly the newer rifles come with Tapco G2s, but I've not personally seen any with those.

This makes for 10 foreign parts on the rifle. If the OP wants to add a bayo lug (either by welding or retrofitting a military front sight block), he'll have to use a US made muzzle device to stay compliant (not because of the bayo lug, but because the bayonets don't fit real well w/o a muzzle device).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

nalioth wrote:
Dstorm1911, I'm afraid you've not looked too closely at the WASR. They come with crappy Century made trigger, hammer and disconnector. Also a Century made gas piston and pistol grip are present. Supposedly the newer rifles come with Tapco G2s, but I've not personally seen any with those.

This makes for 10 foreign parts on the rifle. If the OP wants to add a bayo lug (either by welding or retrofitting a military front sight block), he'll have to use a US made muzzle device to stay compliant (not because of the bayo lug, but because the bayonets don't fit real well w/o a muzzle device).

Yea didn't look at his pic, was assumin if it was one of the High caps with welded muzzle nut and no bayo lugs.... the ones with the welded nut and no lug are skimmin under 922R as they don't have 3 total evil features, Century dorsn't add gas piston or FCG etc.. just PG the rest is all import, in order to start the downwards spiral into 922R ya gotta have at least 3 or more features to start with....

Threaded muzzle

Pistol grip

detachable high cap mag

Bayo lug (we all are gettin real tired of the rash of drive by bayonetings in this country)

Foldable or collapsible buttstock

Sinister evil black paint job........ ohhh o.k I added that one but they'd include it if they could! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

As in the pic mine has the slant muzzle break. It originally came with a muzzle nut but I called Century and they said I could legally take it off if I put on a US made brake, so I bought one from TAPCO. Mine also came from the store with the Tapco G2 trigger group. I then added a folding stock, tactical light, folding forend grip, scope and a 40rd mag, which is all legal where I live I just had to register it as a pistol because it was under 30 inches long folded.

Last edited by Dubord77 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Regardless if I can mount the bayo or not, it is not that important I just thought it would be nice. I have read a bunch of articles about the WASR's and alot of people knock them but I can honestly say that I have not had a single issue with mine. It shoots great, the mags don't wobble as much as some people have said and I have not had a single miss fire or jam issue (maybe I lucked out and got a good one). I like the AK models and if you have a tight budget, the newer WASR 10's are the way to go. I fired the better built ak's and variants when I was in the Army and I think my WASR is just as accurate and reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Oh, I forgot to mention about this 3 evils issue. My local Dunhams discount store has a WASR with a threaded muzzle, hicap, pistol grip, intact bayo lug and a m4 collapsible stock. How is that legal to sell?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Dubord77 wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention about this 3 evils issue. My local Dunhams discount store has a WASR with a threaded muzzle, hicap, pistol grip, intact bayo lug and a m4 collapsible stock. How is that legal to sell?
He was referring to "import criteria". Your local Dunhams AK is 922r compliant and legal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I just fixed me lug. If the lug is intact and it's just the lip on each side that is ground smooth you can use a mig welder to make a few beads then carefully grind them into a lip with a dremel to shape them to fit the bayonet. I was told by some this could warp the barrel but that is false because the barrel (during welding) didn't get nearly as hot as when I rapid fire it. Also a guy I talked to from Impact Global Arms which sells AK parts said that this procedure wouldn't damage the rifle. Just thought I would post this for those who would like to know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Burner wrote:
It was ground off for 922r compliance issues. Too many evil parts.
Sorry I missed this in my previous responses. I believe you are confusing "import criteria" with the 922r. Firearms can't be imported with too many 'evil features'. The "evil features to keep a firearm from being imported" list and the "922r" list are not the same.

Quote:
[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 27, Volume 2]
[Revised as of April 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 27CFR478]

[Page 101-169]

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478--COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

on page 119....

[T.D. ATF-270, 53 FR 10494, Mar. 31, 1988]

Sec. 478.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun
using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this
section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under
section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily
adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution
by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or
agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political
subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of
testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the
provisions of Sec. 478.151; or
(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into
or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the
replacement of any part of such firearm.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Notice the above says absolutely nothing about bipods, bayonets, bayonet lugs, or optics. Hope this clears up some confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:29 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Dubord77 wrote:
I just fixed me lug. If the lug is intact and it's just the lip on each side that is ground smooth you can use a mig welder to make a few beads then carefully grind them into a lip with a dremel to shape them to fit the bayonet. I was told by some this could warp the barrel but that is false because the barrel (during welding) didn't get nearly as hot as when I rapid fire it. Also a guy I talked to from Impact Global Arms which sells AK parts said that this procedure wouldn't damage the rifle. Just thought I would post this for those who would like to know.

Thanks, people worry way too much about the compliance stuff. Shoot, half the "US" parts made today are not even marked anymore so you don't REALLY know what is compliant on a rifle. The Feds have bigger fish to fry than worrying if your 2003 WASR has a bayonet lug on it. :roll: