http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:33 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

A buddy of mine bought one of these new back when we were in high school. That was pre internet of course (I'm old!) and I was a poor young punk! I had an underfolder (56S-1) but his was sooooo cool what with the side folding stock and the cool fiberglass and bakelite bits. He paid 400 bucks for his and I saved up every penny I could for one but by the time I had the dough, they were no more. That's my luck! Well, twenty years later, I found one almost new and in the box. I don't think it had more than a magazine or two through it....that was no longer the case by the time these pictures were taken. Unfortunately, it cost a bit more than 400 bucks! It's a B -West IMPORT, not one of the ones built on a US receiver. Interestingly, it has a sprung firing pin and is serial marked like a Polytech but has the 1919 style grip like a Norinco. There is no factory number or "manufacturer" stamp; just a model sesignation, serial and importer stamp. I stuck an ol' Soviet slabside in it for the pictures simply because they are my favorite steel mags. The main reason I'm posting this is to make it easier for people who are looking for one. I had a hell of a time digging up good pictures of one and really found very little in the way of detailed pictures. Of course, I saw my buddy's many times but that was over twenty years ago. So I took some in an effort to help the next guy who's looking for detaied pictures. I'm sure that there were/are MANY variations. That seems to be the way with Chicom jobbers. I guess because they have so many factories churning them out. Anybody else care to post a few close ups of theirs? Eventually, someone is gonna want this information for collecting purposes.

P.S. This came with a traditional slant cut compensator but I put an East German muzzlenut on there just for fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:50 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I saw, handled the very same model ( but i do not recall the importer) 1n 1986 at a gunshop near my house. I got the akm/47s underfolder made by norinco, and imported by sile in new jersey.
I rember all the ads in sgn. som many varieties,makes, and models. at one time, just before the 89 halt on impotation, i could name at least 17 different versions from 5 countries. in 1989 just as i got my FFL bush 41 issued a ban on most ebws. that dick move forced me to cancel my first choice of the hungarian ak. ( i can't recall if i wanted the folder or the fixed).
but i had agreat issue od Soldier of Fortune listing the top ak's. number one was the poly tech legemd, as it was the closest thing to the russian original. by the time i got my order in prices had jumped 200 bucks. i paid 605 shipped . still the most i ever paid for any gun i own.
( back in 85-89 most chinese ak's were around 275 w/3 mags and bayonet and sling, not to rub it in.) still have both the norinco and the poly. i never shot the poly. i have it put awaywith the mags baynet manual, and warrenty card. where the poly is worth to much to shhot now, i still use the norinco. it is a very good gun. i have never had a problem with the stock.
thanks for the pics. and the trip down memmory lane.
i to like the slabside mags. but reallly wanted the 30 rd orange maggs. back the they were 12.95. but i figured i coould get them anytime. well, the last ione i saw at a gun show was 10 years ago, they wanted 125 bucks. i was buying east german mags for 4 dollars each.... 6 bucks each for niw...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:43 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Beautiful rifle. Looks pristine!