http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Question on ammo for a Venezuelan FN49. Recently purchased the rifle. Venezuelan crest on receiver, all sn# match. The bore is like new with no rust or pits.Rifle has been fired,but not much. My question is is this rifle safe to shoot with commerical ammo.[Hornaday] I only want to shoot 20rds. Is the 7mm mouser ammo the same as 7X57 ammo? All answers will be appreciated. Leed :?:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 pm 

Ammo caliber is the same. Only shoot spitzer bullets in the '49.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Leed709 wrote:
Question on ammo for a Venezuelan FN49. Recently purchased the rifle. Venezuelan crest on receiver, all sn# match. The bore is like new with no rust or pits.Rifle has been fired,but not much. My question is is this rifle safe to shoot with commerical ammo.[Hornaday] I only want to shoot 20rds. Is the 7mm mouser ammo the same as 7X57 ammo? All answers will be appreciated. Leed :?:

I currently have 3 FN49's. One in 7MM, 8MM, and a 30/06. When changing ammo lots or country of mfg I always start with the handguard removed, the gas vent wide open, and the magazine removed. This last item gives gas from a case head failure or slam-fire a place to go without destroying the mag or stock. I only load single round and fire it to see what it does and how far it ejects. I close the vent a click or two at a time until ejection of about 6 to 10 feet is achieved. Does yours have a 1 piece or 2 piece firing pin?
Be sure to keep the firing pin channel and the pin clean and dry. No grease or oil as it can gum up and that is a suspected cause in slam fire incidents.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Why only spitzers in the FN49?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:22 pm 

They won't feed into the chamber 100% of the time and MAY be driven into the rifling that is right at the end of the chambers throat. They MAY develop very unpleasant pressure spikes that the rifle and your face will not like.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks Rapidrob