Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Load For 7.65mm French Long

Les Révolvers et Pistolets de Militaires Français, Mle.1873, 1892, 1935, Unique, Ruby, et alia
SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Load For 7.65mm French Long

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Okay, CH4D says my die set is a few weeks away from being ready to go as it came back from heat treat a week ago. I'm going to use a .311 cast bullet, so I need a load to test out the brass I converted for it (I'm resizing .313 cast bullets for this since I don't have a mold yet,) Send info, send help.

Best Regards,

Mark

kc8goz
United States of America

Re: Load For 7.65mm French Long

#2 Post by kc8goz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 am

Mark, what brass did you use to make the cases from?

Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Candyman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 am

Mark
I have some original French ammo, but it doesn't go bang.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am

Loading data for 7.65 French is very hard to find. I have a fairly good selection of reloading manuals but I can find only ONE published load. That is from Cartridges of the World, 10th edition. Load data calls for 3.6 grains of Unique behind a 77 grain bullet (doesn't specify whether FMJ or cast) for a velocity of 1,120 fps.

I can only say that sounds about right since I reload for .32 acp and the French round is a bit hotter and has a longer case.

You didn't specify what bullet weight you were going to use but I assume it would be either a 71 or 77 grain bullet since 7.65 French is in the .32 auto cartridge class.

I think if you're looking at bullets in the 85 grain weight that they will seriously reduce your case volume in order to adhere to max OAL, and you'll end up having to interpolate load data. You can get Berry's 71 grain plated RN bullets for 7 cents/bullet. To me that's cheap enough to not have to resize cast lead bullets. YMMV.

-Bob

garra
United States of America

#5 Post by garra » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

On the load I used with the Lee cast bullets. (.311) 3.1 gn Unique, 100 gn bullet with an OAL of 1.137"

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#6 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 pm

I used Starline brass to make my 7.65mm French long. This brass had better consistency over PRVI brass, so it got used first. I still have 50 cases of PRVI to play with. Probably still okay to work with. Go with Starline if you have a choice. It is worth a few bucks per 100 if you want to hold tighter tolerances consistantly.

I finally got my dies this week from CH4D, so if you want a set, I'd call and get one NOW. I think they are running way behind on production of loads of stuff, so consider this a heads up. The holder cost extra, but I still ordered one. I have a RCBS holder for 22 hornet to use as well. I will see which one works better.

I finally found my 100 cases that I made using 32 S&W long Starline brass. 72USMC sent me some 1950's MFG steel cased French ammo I used for specs as they functioned flawlessly back in the day. I found they weren't "to spec" so to say. I ground a high speed steel HSS tool bit to do the new groove and extractor angle (65 degrees I think instead of 60). One plunge cut the new width of the rim as well. Unfortunately for the amateur machinists, I used a 5C collet on an industrial Hardinge lathe to do all this. This will hold length to .001" rather easily.

I have looked at some bench top lathes for around $600 sans tooling, but they are all hardened three jawed chucks with no soft jaws for me to cut custom features to hold 32S&W long cases. I'm still thinking what I could make to put in the jaws to hold those cases real close, but I haven't yet thought of anything that will do the trick.

I'll use 3 or 3.1 grains of Unique with a .313 cast bullet, unless I size it down. I will look into some Berry's bullets now. I'd be happy if she just cycles properly. I bought some already cast bullets to be sized later, but I sense they should do the job as is. I'm thinking once in the case, they should change size anyways.

I've been under the weather for some time, so I haven't hit my old tool shop for some lathe time for over a month. I'll try to make some more cases soon.

Best Regards,

Mark

Oh, the truck needs a clutch replaced, so getting to my old tool shop could take way more time now. I only have Fridays to get to the shop, or take care of any personal business not on work time. Been working six day weeks non-stop lately.

kc8goz
United States of America

#7 Post by kc8goz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Hey mark can you post a picture of your Hss tool bit you ground?
Got the brass, collets and lathe just want to see the tool.

Thanks,
Doug

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#8 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 am

Camera is down, but it is a 3/8ths HSS bit with an exact form to cut the rim, groove and extractor angle. I'm saving up for a lathe right now. I'ld like to do this stuff at home. Looks like a Grizzly tools model with steel gears. The tool does cut all dimensions with one plunge. You have to cut the OD on the rim first to fit in the collet. Sorry for lack of pictures.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, remember to cut yourself a decent relief angle on all those angles. I did it by hand on a grinder. It isn't too hard.

butcharoot
United States of America

#9 Post by butcharoot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:56 am

Has anybody used the Buffalo Arms 7.65 cases? If so how did they work for you? Thanks, butch

Return to “French Pistols”