http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

well big score for me. I was helping a friend who is a electrical worker pull out old wire in a forclosed home that was getting ready to be put back on the market. Anyway found 2 FN49's between the rafters. One is a Columbian Contract and the other is a Venezuelan. Both are in really good shape. The stock on the columbian is perfect. There was also a shoe box full of 7mm mauser ammo.
I've been a surplus collector for a few years but my knowledge of the FN49 is limited. My understanding is the Venezuelan gun is a 7mm mauser. The limited info I found is that the columbian is a 30-06? Is there a way to tell? (besides the obvious chambering of a round) There is very little markings on them except serial numbers and the contract stamp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Great score go buy a lottery ticket. Yes the Columbian is 3006 and the Venezuelan is 7mm Mauser.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The only thing I ever found in an attic was mouse droppings. Insane jealousy here. Good find.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

You have got to be kidding! Good for you, nice grab. Can I rub your head for luck? May be it will rub off on me. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

DANG IT! The only thing I ever got while prowling in an old attic was bit by a Black Widow spider . . . and YOU find two collectable rifles.

To be fair, I believe you should ship me one. Just think of the Karma you'd earn!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Now you've got to show us some photos. =D> Makes you wonder how long they've been there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:42 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've been looking for a 3006 fn 49. I don't suppose you'd consider selling it would you. I'd be willing to pick it up. I have friends in Imperial. Just a road trip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

WOW! that is almost as good as hitting the lottery!!!! Just got our house in may, have not had time to crawl around the attic yet, this maybe a good to go and investigate the attic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

insulated my attic and ran some new wire through it (not in that order) a few years ago. I had to clean out 150yrs of bird and squirrel nests first. other than that, I found some broken old drawer fronts and a chair back.

Awesome score!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I'll be getting pictures up soon. I finally got to tear into them last night. The Columbian seems to be just fine but also is in better shape between the two. The Venezuelan has a few issues. The recoil springs are binding and slightly bent but you can open the bolt with a little effort. The trigger doesn't work. The hammer is back but the safety won't engage and when you pull the trigger nothing happens but no worries there, I'll fix it.
Will I sell the columbian- can't tell right now. Between the two it seem like the one to keep from a ammo standpoint but I know that the Venezuelan's are super accurate. If I do sell either one, I always post that kind of stuff here first b/c I know that this group will always put them to good use and take good care of them. Its too early to tell right now but I hate for them to sit in a safe along with the other surplus guns I have that don't get out very much, I'm really busy these days. I had to take a weeks vaca last summer just to go shoot :thumb:
It was a excellent find and I'm still wired from it. Still doesn't beat the find one of my co-workers got. He just moved into a house that was very very old b/c his wife found it "charming." Anyway he was taking out a small section of a wall for some reason, inside the wall he sees a buttstock hanging down. He pulled it all the way out and it was a Walther K43 with the SS stamp on the receiver, with the scope mount but no scope :( . that must have fell from the attic down into the wall cavity. He calls me freaking out (he knows my love for surplus guns) I told him to get his a$& up in that attic so see what else is there. He found about 9 boxes of 8mm Mauser ammo among some other useless junk.
It all sound really far fetched but if you live in the Chicago area, there is old house out there with a Lafever Side by Side 12ga in a wall some were, It was my Grandfathers. He hung is down inside the wall cavity to hide it. The wire that he had it hanging from broke and the gun fell into the wall. He never bothered retrieving it. Sold the house and moved to St Louis. :( :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

nice find! I onyl ever found beer cans from the 70's lol. Imo i would keep the 30-06 one you can shoot it alot cheaper than the 7mm but i would keep both lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I am an Electrician , I once found a skull in a attic , and also a BIG wasp nest !! Thats about it !!

No.4 MKII - FAZ 1950
No.5 FAZ 1945.
No.1 MKIII* - 1916 BSA,1916 Enfield,1917 SSA,1940 Dispersal,1942 Lithgow,1943 GRI.
No.1 MKIII - 1916 BSA.
Mosin Nagant M44.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

We need pictures.

I've never even seen a Columbian FN 49.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:03 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Pictures- Venezuelan first. This one is in rougher shape than the two plus the trigger is not working at this time.

Attachments:
IMG_4714.JPG
IMG_4714.JPG [ 636.4 KiB | Viewed 2491 times ]
IMG_4713.JPG
IMG_4713.JPG [ 752.18 KiB | Viewed 2478 times ]
IMG_4712.JPG
IMG_4712.JPG [ 910.66 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4711.JPG [ 1020.46 KiB | Viewed 2493 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

columbian, very nice stock

Attachments:
IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_4710.JPG [ 683.61 KiB | Viewed 2483 times ]
IMG_4709.JPG
IMG_4709.JPG [ 351.56 KiB | Viewed 2476 times ]
File comment: there was some kind of sticker on the forend. Thats the glue residue left over in the oval pattern
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG [ 991.49 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]