Yugoslavian M 57 Tokarev Pistol Crests A-P

Yugo, Romanian etc.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Yugoslavian M 57 Tokarev Pistol Crests A-P

Post by 72 usmc »

Check this out, but be sure to click on correct language flag near the top. This is worth a print out. Fantastic information. :pray: :pray:

YUGOSLAV "TETEJAC" - The Story of the "ZASTAVINA" PISTOL M57
https://oruzjeonline.com/2018/09/30/jug ... tolju-m57/
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.11.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.16.08 PM.png

New Commercial information COMMERCIAL VARIANTS OF THE M57 FLAG PISTOL (parts 1 & 2)
PART 1
https://oruzjeonline.com/2018/11/24/kom ... m57-1-deo/
PART 2
https://oruzjeonline.com/2018/11/25/mal ... m57-2-deo/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

dwils

Post by dwils »

Hi. I'm new. I made an account just to be able to post in this thread because I need help. I recently discovered an unhealthy obsession with the Tokarev-style firearms. Years ago I shot my brother-in-law's CZ52. It was fun to shoot and felt good in my hand so I finally bought one in 2012. Wanting to expand my collection of firearms chambered in 7.62x25 I went looking for something else to buy in 2019. And that was when I found the Yugo M57. What originally started as a one-off purchase blew up into my current unhealthy obsession of nine Tokarev-related pistols including the Yugo M57, Norinco Type 213 and 54, Zastava M70AA in black and another in chrome, Romanian TT-33C, Zastava M57A in black and another in chrome, and a Polish Pw wz.33. I lied and told my wife (who has no idea how many guns I really have) that they were an investment and part of a collection I was starting so that I could hand them down to our son (he's 2), but really it's because I like mid-1900 combloc guns. I think I only need about five more or so and the collection of all variants will be complete.

What brings me to this thread is hours of searching for when the Yugo M57 was built. I have looked high and low and read hours of information on the gun, but still have yet to find out when it was produced. Because my account is so new I doubt I can post pictures, so I will just describe what is on the gun as best I can.

The left-hand side of the slide has the obligatory billboard for PW Arms, but mine says "PW ARMS REDMOND WA" on one line then below it "ZASTAVA YUGOSLAVIA". Right above the slide lock and in larger characters it says "7,62mm M57". There is a crest on top of the slide with five flames on it. The right side of the frame is stamped "C-7834" with a "T" stamped over the 7 and the 8. Below the "C-7834" there is another stamp of "1-00.001" in slightly smaller font. There are no other markings on the slide.

The barrel is stamped "7834" and there are no other markings on the barrel visible in the ejection port.

The top of the trigger guard on the left side has an upside-down triangle with what looks like "o" inside of it and the right side of the trigger guard is stamped with a "T" at the top.

There is a safety above the grip on the left side and the grips both match but are the Zastava emblem instead of "FPRJ" or "SFRJ". There is also a lanyard loop below the left grip and on the magazine too. The right side of the frame below the rear sight is stamped with "C-7834" and below that "2-00.101" in slightly smaller font. There is no date stamp under the retaining clip above the trigger. The trigger is marked with a "2-00.004" that runs vertically.

The inside of the magazine well is etched with 9-439 and there are no markings on the magazine itself.

According to the first post my gun should have been manufactured in 1960 or 1961 according to the serial number letter, but the serial number is only four digits, and not five like other C-prefix serial numbers.

I see that this post has had some recent activity which makes me hopeful that someone can help me out. I greatly appreciate the help in advance.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

First you can post photos as a new member. The only thing you do not see is the for sale section. Here is some forum history and how to post photos:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2203

Welcome to the forum.

I collect Toks by type. I am only missing a Hungarian one and a Korean bring back. The M57 I collected by crest type. Romanian and Polish by year.

Your pistol is a military model. It will have assembly numbers on the inside side of the slide, inside edge of the mag well, the edge of the trigger group, and the bottom of the barrel. That should be the 9-439 number and it will be elector written assy. numbers. The pistol has a serial number C-7834 on the right hand side of the slide, with the serial number lacking the C prefix on the barrel viewed in the port, and on the frame above the grip on the right hand side. Some pistols will have the C-7834 rather than just 7834 also in this location. So the pistol has two numbers: the actual serial number in 3 locations and the assembly numbers in 4 locations on a military model M57 Tokarev. The T is an odd thing and I have an H series pistol with the T stamped on the slide above and in front of the H-##### serial number. See page 2 under H Series pistols for a picture. The "T" mark is also found on the frame on the top right side of the trigger loop. I have no idea what it means, but it is found on only a few pistols. The M57 magazine never had serial numbers like Russian,& Romanian Toks. No assy or serial number. The other numbers 2-00.004", 2-00.101, "1-00.001" are Yugo part numbers found on earlier M57 pistols.
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.29.54 PM.png
"grips both match but are the Zastava emblem instead of "FPRJ" or "SFRJ". Most likely replacements. Actually the new table indicates 1965 for a date of C series pistols. I am not sure why yours does not have a 5 digit serial# ??? It does not jive with the 19001-32000 range. 7834 with a T may be some sort of rebuild or special order???? All speculation. 78### falls into a G serial series. Are you sure the letter prefix is a C ? Maybe a G which is 1969 date.

This post could use a well documented C serial number with the T mark. Please post some photos- the more the better. I would love to have some photos of the markings please, please. It sound like a very interesting Tok.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

dwils

Post by dwils »

Here are some pictures I took. Hopefully they help.
Attachments
Right side
Right side
Barrel
Barrel
Crest
Crest
Left trigger guard
Left trigger guard
Left side
Left side

dwils

Post by dwils »

Additional pictures.
Attachments
Magazine
Magazine
Magwell etching
Magwell etching
T stamp
T stamp

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

A very odd M57. It has the early parts. But a serial number etched in like late pistols and has late commercial post 82 grips. I need a marco view of the crest. I believe that to be a new variety I have not seen.
THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES. :dance: :clap: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Your picture of crest
M57 3.jpg
M57 3.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 196 times
My enhancement of your crest's picture
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.53.43 PM.png
Can we get a close up macro picture of the crest as best possible??

I am tempted to say this is a transitional pistol dating post 89. I'd say it has only a few transitional 92-93 attributes from the switch from military production to commercial/domestic production. It just smells too military.

Lets review the attributes;

It has early part number military parts except for the magazine lacking its part number. The good original mag with the part number may have been switched out and sold for more cash and it got a garbage replacement.

Like a military pistol it lacks the date found on early commercial M57 found under the retaining slide clip.

Like a domestic M57 it does have the late zcz grips, not military grips.

It does not have a late commercial barrel with the oval antler like trade mark & TBT mark on the barrel ahead of the serial number. It is a military barrel. Not the later barrel with the mark.

Military features like the lanyard ring have not been removed from the frame. The mag still has a ring

I am unsure of the crest, I need a better photo; but it appears to be one not observed. Unknown It appears there are no details with in the 5 flames, 5 flames suggest 1963-1968 date for a military pistol.

The serial number is electro written or laser etched like a commercial pistol. It is out of sequence and the crest does not match known C serial sequences.

Early transitional M57 production utilized remaining military parts with new domestic late production parts. These orders had production fluctuations so serial numbers on these are not a continuous sequence and no records were maintained or found. Your serial number and its elector written attribute is very odd suggesting the best evidence for a transitional M57 maybe during the early 1990s. This attribute and the late grips suggest a transitional nature. However that M57 is more Military than Domestic. It is unique. If we can get a better photo of the crest maybe it will be the best attribute to use to date the pistol or at least the slide. If you want a more military pistol, purchase an early mag with loop that has its part number on it and get correct military grips. Then only the crazy electro written serial number remains. I wonder if that might be a repair thing where a damaged military pistol was fixed???
We do not know what the T mark stands for.

For some reason your pistol does not have a date stamp like 91-98 pistols have under the retainer clip. It is possible it was a put together just after the end of military production say post 1983 to 89. Best guess it is late 1980s. Made before the date on the frame practice was started. Or there is a second idea.

The T location is like mine on my military pistol another attribute suggesting a military pistol
M57 6.jpg
M57 6.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 196 times
My H serial military M57 with T stamped
T IMG_7756_zps918dca42.jpg
T IMG_7756_zps918dca42.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Final speculation, it is a 63-68, 5 flame crest C series military pistol where the military grips cracked during the add on safety modification and they just gave it new current available grips. The zcz ones. If that is the case, a 5 flame C series dates to 1965. The electro writing may be a thing done during a repair-- all speculation. It seems way more military when you count the specific attributes. If mine I would get military grips and an original mag with the part number like found with most of the early M57s. Heck, you generally need two or more magazines, Maybe a holster too. That would make for an interesting M57.
These mags seem to go $75 prices seem to go 50-100. The later ones are much cheeper.
s-l1600-3.jpg
Please, Can you provide a close up view of that C crest?
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is clear photo of a D code, serial number crest. This D 4284# , ptrthgr8's pistol wth military grips FRSJ.
:idea: dwils, does it look like yours??? note there are very little details inside the flames on this crest.
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.33.26 PM.png
dwils crest on a C serial number pistol
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.53.43 PM.png

dwils

Post by dwils »

Here is a better closer up picture of the crest on my gun. Hopefully this helps. It looks more D-like than C-like, but I'm no expert.

Edit: sorry, it turned out sideways for some reason.
Attachments
Crest close-up
Crest close-up

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

So we now have a C and D crest the same found on both series pistols, not just D Thank you. I flipped it. M57s must have utilized this crest in 1965 and 1966.
M57 9.jpg
M57 9.jpg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Return to “Combloc Pistols”