http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blackthorne Kit Review
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:15 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I’ve heard much discussion about the AR15 parts kits by Blackthorne Products LLC. Some of the information has been positive and some has been negative, some has been based on actual experiences with the company and other posts have been mostly hearsay. Questions about Blackthorne continue to fly around the boards, both here and at AR15.com. Are the kits based on “seconds” or lesser quality parts? Has the company that previously sold Vulcan-Hesse products changed its ways? And the most basic of all milsurper questions… is the price too good to be true or is this truly a bargain worth looking into?

Forum members like Spystyle, Yoslick, and others have written excellent reviews of their Blackthorne-based rifles and have addressed some of the rumors regarding Blackthorne. But it can’t hurt to add more opinions from people that have first hand experience with the fit and finish, as well as the range performance of these kits.

I have been looking for a decent, complete parts kit to use as a basis for several upcoming projects. I thought it may be helpful to share my experiences with one of Blackthorne’s kits, but if you’re looking for a range report, you won’t find it here. My goal is only to show what sort of parts you can expect to receive from Blackthorne, both cosmetically and in terms of ease of assembly. I’ll leave it to the experienced Blackthorne owners to address the abilities of their rifles at the range since any new rifle needs to be shot several hundred times before one can begin to write with any level of confidence concerning its strengths and weaknesses.

Ordering

I ordered the Rifle Kit, Standard, A3 Upper, 20” AR-RKA3
http://akpartskits.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=272&osCsid=5b0987b973f6b2e81138d01838d2804e
The price of the kit was $369, with $20 shipping for a total of $389 to my front door.

The order was placed on Monday morning and I had the box in my hands by the end of the day on Wednesday (from PA to MI).

Packaging

The first thing I noticed regarding the box was that it was squashed in multiple places around the perimeter. Aside from grumbling about the bozos that drive the UPS trucks in my area, I assumed that the packing inside was probably skimpy. My assumption was confirmed when I opened the box to find my parts kit rattling around among a loose jumble of glossy, Sunday newspaper ad inserts.

From the box emerged three, clear plastic packages. One contained the complete upper itself, another one contained the lower parts kit, and the third contained the buttstock and buffer assembly. Perhaps “contained” the buffer assembly is a misleading term. I was amazed that the spring hadn’t fallen out of its open-ended packaging as seen in the photo below.

Note that the only bubble wrap in the container was around the buttstock. I would have liked to have seen a little more protection of the upper… the single most expensive item in the box. Nevertheless, upon inspection of the parts, it did not appear that any were harmed during the bumpy ride from Blackthorne’s shop.

Inspection

Below are a bunch of pictures of the various components of the parts kit as received:

Buttstock…

The only flaws evident on the buttstock were a couple small, very light scuffs on the left side of the stock.

Buffer Assembly… not much to see here…

Receiver…

Left Side

Right Side

Notice the uneven coloration of the barrel where it shows up in these pictures. It is possible that these are the sorts of cosmetically flawed parts that allow Blackthorne to offer their kits at such a substantially reduced price when compared to their competitors.

Also notice in the picture below that the ears of the upper receiver show signs of test assembly prior to shipment. Not pictured here is the bore which shows signs of the upper being test fired prior to shipping. While these kits may contain blemished parts, they do exhibit signs of proper assembly and test firing prior to being sold.

Bottom

Bolt Carrier…

Charging Handle…

Lower Parts Kit…

Assembly
Assembly of the Blackthorne A3 parts kit on a Superior Arms lower receiver was accomplished flawlessly. I did not take any pictures of this process because there was very little of note that transpired. I did wrestle a bit with the trigger guard roll pin and despite using a plentiful amount of tape during the process, managed to bang up the anodizing a bit around the hole. This is much more a case of user error than any fault of the parts kit.

The upper fit perfectly with the Superior Arms lower with no wiggle that would cause some builders to go running for an Accuwedge to tighten things up.

The final product:

Conclusions Regarding Blackthorne
Overall, Blackthorne Products LLC seems to put together a nice kit for those on a budget that would like to assemble their own AR-15 and don’t mind the no-name parts in the kit. I have no reason to doubt Blackthorne’s claims that their uppers come from LMT or LAR, although there are no stampings on the receivers that I could find that would indicate the origin of the parts. It is very probable that these truly are seconds from major manufacturers, in the sense that they are fully operational, though cosmetically blemished parts which did not meet the standards of companies selling their finished product for upwards of $800. Even if these are “seconds,” in my kit, the barrel was the only major part which showed any significant blemish. The upper receiver itself appeared brand new and nearly flawless which leads me to believe that Blackthorne may also procure its parts from manufacturer overruns of otherwise perfectly acceptable parts. The upper appears to have been test fit and fired prior to being sold, just as Blackthorne claims. Fit with a Superior Arms lower was excellent with no alterations needed.

Shipping was quick and my order was processed and shipped the same day, but the packaging of the product left something to be desired. It is clear that Blackthorne is saving on overhead costs wherever possible, but skimping on packaging of expensive parts is not the way to go. My parts kit arrived intact, with no shipping damage, but I worry about the next guy that may not be quite as fortunate.

Based strictly on the actual assembly of a rifle from a Blackthorne complete parts kit, I feel that Blackthorne offers a real bargain to those unconcerned with minor finish blemishes or lack of brand names. All parts fit and function as required with no special tailoring needed during the assembly process. I would not hesitate for a moment to use Blackthorne for future AR15 builds that call for an emphasis on cost savings while maintaining Mil-spec tolerances and proper fit during assembly, where the savings accrued while accepting parts with possible surface imperfections outweigh the cost associated with name brand notoriety. Different strokes for different folks… Blackthorne may not be right for everyone, but it should not be dismissed as a viable option for the budget conscious shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:12 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

great review ,my thought's on my blackthorne kit (which is also the $369 20'' ) are right on par with yours , the only difference is my kit showed no signs of being fired , it still had the burr inside the barrel from the gas port being drilled. maybe they test fire a percentage of the batch they assemble?? difference in "color" spots on the barrel seems to go away with a lite oiling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Maybe they don't actually test fire them... but whoever they buy them from does? Some get fired, some don't? Who knows :D

Thanks for the tip on the barrel. Other than that, everything looks great on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:41 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Thanks for the review.
It is nice to read and see pictures from people that have actually "been there" rather than repeating the same internet rumors/gossip.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

mrbgt wrote:
great review ,my thought's on my blackthorne kit (which is also the $369 20'' ) are right on par with yours , the only difference is my kit showed no signs of being fired , it still had the burr inside the barrel from the gas port being drilled. maybe they test fire a percentage of the batch they assemble?? difference in "color" spots on the barrel seems to go away with a lite oiling

I would say the exact same thing, I got the same kit and had the same burr in the barrel (which I knocked out). The barrel color evens out after oil. My upper was stamped cardinal arms (a bird head).

Cheers,
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the review! It was very well written. =D> I have been thinking about going the same route and you have helped me make up my mind. I will give them a try also.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Looks good, thanks for the nice write up. I plan on buying another AR if I can afford it next year, will be looking into the blackthorne kits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Knuckledragger wrote:
...if I can afford it...

Saiga in 223 is less than $300

That's the poor man's AR15 with piston upper :)

Cheers,
Craig

Last edited by spystyle on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:00 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Lookin good for sure and nice write up.. Just got 2 more SA receivers from AIM yesterday and also have a 62x39 upper that I just received from Blackthorne for one of the new receivers. (in the box it all looks great so far!!) Will do a separate write up once I get it all together, probably after christmas and the snow storm I am currently dealing with!!

Slick!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:59 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nice write up and pictures, glad you are happy with it, hope you still are after a few thousand rds. Thats when the real test of quality will be

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Very nicely done. I too am considering adding an AR to my inventory but am still on the fence about shelling out that kind of money for a complete rifle. I think I will check out the blackstone kit and consider building my own.

P.S. where did you get your lower receiver?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Great job on the report!! Ive been struggling with which way to go on my 1st AR but have not made a decision because of budget restraints. This looks like a great cost effective option!!! Where did you get the lower? How much did the whole project come out to?

Dont forget to give us a range report!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Essential Arms makes an excellent lower receiver at an excellent price:

http://www.essentialarms.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I've heard good things about Essential Arms. I went with Superior Arms, but I'm not sure it would make a big difference either way - they are both high quality. AIM Surplus sells Superior Arms receivers, or just keep an eye on the auction sites. I bought mine off of Gunbroker for about $85 shipped, and since I'm an 01 FFL there were no transfer fees which made it a steal.

The complete rifle cost less than $500 to build, but that's the cost without any sights, BUIS or scope mounted on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thank you for the awesome write up. I recieved my kit tonight and am very happy with it. After reading some reviews I was unsure if I made a mistake when ordering it. Mine had no blems or miscoloration anywhere and looks fantastic. If you are thinking about it...I would go for it. It was shipped same day with great tracking info and customer service. I think there are a bunch of gun snobs/ parrots out there that mouth off something they might have heard and have probably never even seen one of these blackthorne kits.I dont have a bunch of extra cash to blow 8-900.00 on a rifle. You can buy a dpms lower for 97 bucks and be into one of these for a tad over 500.00 and be very happy.